Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

The Bromley Arms at Fiskerton has apparently closed. Great shame as it’s a lovely spot overlooking the Trent and country side beyond. Hopefully they will find new tenants. 

Sorry, I see I’m late on parade with this one. 

That’s a shame, although we’ve not been in there for several years. We’d sometimes go for a quick refreshment following a walk along the river or for Sunday lunch, til they went ‘upmarket’ and turned into a bit of a ‘gastro place’  

The Bromley Arms tearooms was where the Trent Valley Young Conservatives use to meet on a Monday night back in the ‘60’s. We weren’t remotely political, it was more of a social club for the 20 somethings in the surrounding villages. Afterwards we’d go into the pub when it was a ‘proper’ pub and not a fancy eating place. 

Your Young Conservatives club sounded pretty much like ours, Woodborough Y.C's. The only time I remember anything political at any meeting, was Kenneth Clarke coming to give a talk. Other than that it was just a social club, car treasure hunts, parties, and I do remember a visit to the sugar beet factory.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

The Bromley Arms at Fiskerton is opening again this Monday 11am.

That is good news. It is in a great spot, atop the flood wall, sitting outside looking over and along the Trent is very peaceful.

Back in the day when I used to fish in Fiskerton a pint or two of Kimberley mild was very welcome at lunch time on a hot day. Not a gastro pub in those days, just a cheese and onion cob and a bag of crisps or a pickled egg or onion.

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

Trent at Fiskerton earlier today. It’s been just over the picnic benches in the past.

Not much chance of catching any fish there, probably best to stay in the pub by the fire.

I heard that the pub was closed. Has it been re-opened?

I remember it as a Hardy Hansons Kimberley pub, the only mild ale I would drink.

The Bromley’s a Greene King Pub now and seems to be busy under its new management. I’ve not been in for 20 years. There’s no sandbags over the hump in the car park so far. The A612 is closed at Southwell and at Burton Joyce. The Trent is due to peak at 5.4M tomorrow at Colwick. Woodborough and Lambley are impassable.

22 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

we prefer to go to the Final Whistle on Station Road Southwell

When did the Final Whistle open? I have never been to it. Was it formerly part of the station at Southwell?

Viewing on Google it looks interesting

No, it was just close to the station, that’s why it got its name. It was originally the Newcastle Arms. I go back to the days when there were 13/14 pubs in Southwell and it was as a challenge to have a pint in each one! I’ll try and make a list of those I can remember from the 60’s.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

It was originally the Newcastle Arms

Don't remember that one either. I'm looking forward to the list to see which I remember and have had a pint in.

The Bramley Apple pub in Southwell has recently closed. I don’t know if it’s closed down or closed for a refurb. I think I’ve only been in twice, once many years ago and about 10 years ago

The Grapes at Westhorpe

The Lord Nelson at Westhorpe

The Shoulder of Mutton 

The Reindeer

The Crown

The Saracen’s Head

The Admiral Rodney

The Plough

The Newcastle Arms

The Bramley Apple

The Hearty Good Fellow

The White Lion

Thats 12. Some of the names have changed. Some have closed. Maybe only 9 now.

PUBS closing or now closed GONE 

The Old General Radford rd now flats 

The Wheatsheaf  now Mc Donalds

but worst of all 

The Loggerheads Cliff Rd

QE   GONE   maybe next KC (King Charles) 

At one time St Ann's Nottm had over 50 pubs but then in the 1960s the city council dramatically began the clearance of St Ann's /Meadows /and Radford.  so RIP local pubs.

Gone are almost 382 pubs from Nottm city centre.

Gone A singsong around the Piano and a day trip to Skeg, 

Shippstone, Whitbread. Home Ales, Tennant's  Mansfield. Brewerys all gone.    Maybe more or wrong name of brewerys

Good Times had by all 

it is the sign of the times, we cannot turn back the clock. Wait maybe if we get in touch with Dr Who we can travel back (would be nice) 

Most of my information came from 

Bygones memories of Nottingham A special edition of Nottm Evening post,

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The first 3 are no more. The Plough is vacant. Letsav. Says the Bramley is closed and the White Lion is now The Old Coach House. I think the Bramley had a previous name.

Thanks for the memories Phil, been in all of those except the Newcastle Arms. The Grapes on the corner of Westgate and Allenby Rd? was a favourite of my dads.

3 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Thanks for the memories Phil, been in all of those except the Newcastle Arms. The Grapes on the corner of Westgate and Allenby Rd? was a favourite of my dads.

The Grapes became an antique shop but is now a private home. The Nelson over the road, now called The Dumbles has been empty for some years.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Shippstone, Whitbread. Home Ales, Tennant's  Mansfield. Brewerys all gone.    Maybe more or wrong name of brewerys

Mary, My grandad was a lifelong Shippo's drinker. I did not like their beers at all. Home Brewey 5 Star was among my favourites. Hardy Hansons Kimberley mild was the only mild I would drink. Coming from near Mansfield their bitter and Nut  Brown Ale were often consumed.

• Like 1

Shipstone’s was a very acquired taste. Some swore by it, others at it. I preferred Home Brew. The Newark beers, Holes and Warwick’s were disgusting. I suppose it was what you were weaned on that you chose to drink. I did try Shippo’s some years ago. It was brewed at the Old Dalby brewery near Melton, allegedly to the original recipe. It wasn’t special. I believe a micro brewery in Basford is now brewing it to the original recipe. I preferred the old days when the choice was either mild or bitter. Now there is an array of different beers across the bar and you’re offered a sample in a tasting glass.

I’ve just remembered that the Bramley Apple pub in Southwell was formerly the George and Dragon.

• Like 2

Hello Mary, here is a picture of Loggerheads mentioned in your post about closed pubs. 

Also an old image of the Fox and Grapes, Sneinton aka Pretty Windows. This pub is still going. It was infamous for the murder of George Wilson, trainee landord, who had taken his dog out for a late night walk after closing the pub for the evening in September 1963. I believe that the crime was never solved.

Loggerheads.jpg

Fox-and-Grapes.jpg

• Like 1