Pubs closing or closed down

Not sure I know the difference? was shippo's kimberley and home ales real ale mid 1960's to 2000? if so then drank no end! but since then a case of what I can get Lol, certainly not keen on these "home brews" at likes of brew pubs etc, ditto as regards likes of spitfire, deuchars, trafalgar etc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

GK got there asses kicked a little here....because they were doing NOTHING with the brewery except letting it rot, they were forced to auction it at the start of this year. Now its someone elses burden, and there are 'to let' signs all over it.

Ashley, the quality of pub beer has improved tremendously since we used to drink together in the 60's and 70's That is, so long as you go to an independent pub.

Do you remember the Ship at Skeggy? We used to drink bottles of Luncheon Ale there because the bank holiday Shippo's draught was so vile.

The Trip became my pub of choice in the 70's, and that's where I learnt to appreciate real ale. Sadly the Trip has gone downhill since GK bought it.

Now, when in Nottingham, we go to The Roebuck, The Horse and Groom at Basford, and The King Billy at Sneinton. The Harvest Pale is always good at the latter.

We go to Aberdeen more often than Notts, and there are many good real ale pubs there, and there are numerous small independent Scottish Breweries. Some of best are run by English immigrants.

I agree with you Firbeck, big business is there to maximise profit come what may. They want our money, and like you I try not to give it them.

I like to support small businesses, local if possible,If we all did this, then the spivs and parasites of big business would have to think of another way of grabbing our cash. Best of all, is not to buy unneeded goods. I have only one pair of boots, they were made in Northampton, and have lasted me nearly four years so far. When they let in water, I will buy another pair. This works out far less expensive than buying several pairs of crap third world imports over the same period.

Have you no principles Ian, lick the backside of big business, drink fabricated urine and you'll continue along the road to allow the fat cat profiteers to make you pay high prices for petrol/diesel, they all crawl out from under the same Etonian stone. Your reference to horse drawn carriages has nothing to do with this, I don't live in the past, it's people like you that allow city dealers to destroy the brewing industry in this country. I don't appreciate trying to find a pint at the famous Greyhound in Cromford and finding that they are now a GK pub and sell fabricated, artificial Hardy Hansons Dark, what does that mean, well I know, it means the loss of jobs in Kimberley while the perpertrators of this con live happily in East Anglia, hugging themselves at making profits out of a lie. If you are prepared to go along with this con trick, then you should be ashamed of yourself.

This all happened years ago with Whitbread and the pond water that they used to sell as 'beer', what happened to them, the directors took the profits and ran, the same thing happened to Greenall Whitley et al, shut the local pubs and breweries down, buy up the property, sell their p1$, or sell the premises off to Tesco's, nothing changes thanks to people like you Ian, stick together and we could see off these scumbags.

Do you know what really brings it home, every day I drive past our local brewery, formerly Ridleys, a gutted shell thanks to GK, they can't get anywhere with the place, they were hoping to do a property development deal and make a massive profit at the price of folks liveliehoods, but the local authority were not bullied by the GK scum, it makes me weep everytime I drive past, that's progress is it Ian.

I do apologies to one and all for quoting a previous post and the language that will be forthcoming but to answer all of it in one go Pete

Why do you have to have these stupid rants against things you've got absolutely no chance of altering , but continue to ignore things you could do something about ??

Round here I have no choice what I drink, if I'm out with the woman I love (And occasionally SWMBO too ) and the kids , I will go to the "Brighton Belle" (Hungry Horse) It's GK owned and does a roaring trade and none of your pathetic rants will stop me and the 500 odd other punters in there tonight (Even though the England match was on ITV for free!!) because we like a good pint at a reasonable price and good food done cheaply too.!! £2.30 for GK Abbot, £2.20 for old Speckled Hen in there , at least £2.60 for John Smiths any where else round here!! 5 pints and a couple of wines ( for the lady) over the course of the evening equates to a saving of at least 4 quid over the night , fruit shoots for the kids x 2 = a further saving of another £4 total saving (without food) around £8 less than any thing else I could have done

In my opinion G.K. bought a boozer that had been run into the ground by various previous landlords trying to make a quid but failing miserably. They then spent a couple of hundred thousand on it , doing it up / turning the surrounding wasteland into a car park/ kids play area, it's brilliant for the single man who likes a beer (Pool table , darts, and card tables provided) , the courting couple who like a quiet booth (Complete with a telly if it floats your boat) and the family who fancy a little break from the kitchen and arguments for less than the price of a second mortgage. Friday night and Saturday night sees live entertainment for no extra cost.

I for one know where my beer vouchers are going in future

The Trip became my pub of choice in the 70's, and that's where I learnt to appreciate real ale. Sadly the Trip has gone downhill since GK bought it.

I agree with you Firbeck, big business is there to maximise profit come what may. They want our money, and like you I try not to give it them.

I haven't been in the Trip for a while, I didn't know that GK ran it, sadly that means I won't go in there again, until hopefully like minded people refuse to drink their corporate brew.

Ian, you talk Rubbish, if we all stood up against Greene King and refused to drink their orchestrated crap, like everyone, apart from you, that I know, then the company would suffer. They used to have the cheek to run a Morlands website, pretending it was a seperate brewery, when in fact, you can't produce a beer in East Anglia that was the same as originally made in Abingdon. They are now running a seperate Ruddles website, what a con, they bought out that lovely brewery, shut it down, put everyone out of work and sold off the site for housing.

Love your pint of other peoples misery Ian, shove your beer vouchers up your backside and enjoy it.

Rant!!!! Why not.

Pete! You must be the best publicity man GK have, before you started your rants about them no one even thought about GK let alone give them a mention on this site. I should imagine all the GK fat cats are rubbing their hands together thanks to your publicity

Rog

• 1 month later...

Nope tony.gif

It's cause the carpark was so big , (Like the wide open spaces on the Ponderosa ranch , still "Bonaza" though!!)

• 2 months later...

The Maid Marian pub on Coppice Road Arnold is now a pile of rubble. Much like after a Friday night in there some might suggest. ;) It was never a place I frequented but it was a huge estate pub that certainly had its day. A friend told me that at one time they used to run coach trips to there (from where I know not).

My favourite memory of the place was of driving past there one evening and observing some 'activities' in the car park from the regular country and western night they used to hold there, The 'Twisted Cartwheel' night or whatever it was termed. It's not often you see cowboys staging a shoot-out with each other from behind their Ford Cortinas, in Arnold.

...It's not often you see cowboys staging a shoot-out with each other from behind their Ford Cortinas, in Arnold.

Had to laugh at that one as we were in Deadwood, South Dakota last week. Deadwood is an amazing story. Twenty years ago it was almost a ghost town, but one with more original buildings than almost anywhere else in the "wild" west. Unable to get the owners to restore the buildings, and short on funds themselves, the local govt. decided to apply to allow gambling in the town - with a twist! No buildings were to be demolished, and the additional tax revenue was to be put into a fund for the preservation of the town. It was a HUGE success - they expected to make $10 million in the first five years - they made $30 million! Apart from wonderful preservation efforts (including a 50's gas station turned into a coffee bar), they pay actors to walk the streets dressed as cowboys, etc. who regularly stage gunfights on the main street - they do a great job too.

An odd twist on the preservation model, but it works for them and the town is thriving. A fun place to visit!

I remember I condemned the gas barbecue one saturday at The Maid Marion, didn't go down well at all! they'd called me out as couldn't get a decent flame, found they'd connected it to main gas via about a 50ft hosepipe so they could have it outside! could have been said pile of rubble a lot earlier! !laughing!

I was just reading that Punch Taverns appear to be in difficulties. Over the past four years, the group's share price has fallen by 95% apparently. Which Nottingham pubs are owned by this large chain?

Most of the city centre taverns see a Punch up every now and then!........I'll get my coat!

Drove through Beeston/Chilwell the other day and Chequers Inn on the High Road is all boarded up with a large sign saying "This pub is temporarily closed". That's a new variation on anything I've seen before

• 4 weeks later...

The White Hart in Arnold has also been demolished, it's been boarded up for at least a couple of years.

The demolishing of the White Hart has been a long time coming sadly. As I drove past last evening it was half gone. It was built in a now-considered unlovely 1960s style and I suppose there is no practical merit in it staying there. Certainly it looked unlikely for it to ever be used as a pub/restaurant again. Things inevitably change but it's a great shame in some ways for that pub some years ago was livelier than any other pub in the county arguably.During the 1970s it was said to be around the biggest taker of M&B ales in he Midlands, it was that popular. It's amazing to me how a large pub that was rammed to the doors most nights a week could descend into such prolonged deterioration and finally closure. Some of those nights it was so busy it was practically impossible for them to serve enough beer quickly enough. Clearly the pub trade was much busier generally in those days but it's still a huge fall from grace. Ironically it would have an enhanced catchment area from Bestwood these days as there is barely a pub around in those parts currently.

Since those heady first twenty years or so of its existence, replacing the original White Hart, many people became disaffected with it, including me. The latter 'Sizzling' chain outlet did nothing for me. I still remember those busy nights cradling a jar of Worthington 'E' (yuk!) and listening to Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper and Black Betty by Ram Jam blaring out on the jukebox!

The Grey Goose, yes Mick. That was another of those very popular outlying pubs that people who went to the Hart would likely travel to, as I did sometimes. Similar others in those days were The Porchester and The Town Arms.

I think the White Hart dates back to the 50's - and there were a lot of pubs built in a similar style, many on "estates". One of those was the "Petersham" in Long Eaton - like Stu said, 20 years ago it was crammed to the gills, AND it has its own "built in" catchment area - the Petersham Estate. But now it is gone - closed several years ago and now a pile of rubble.

The smoking crowd would blame the smoking ban, and the driving crowd the clamp down on drinking and driving, but in this case neither can be true. The pub was closed before the smoking ban, and never relied on "drive in" customers. So what is the true cause of the demise of the British "local" - in my mind it has to be the expense. In my youth, it was much cheaper to go round to the Petersham for a pint than to buy bottles from the supermarket (same walking distance) and drink at home. Now the opposite seems to be true.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down