Pubs closing or closed down

Can confirm The Star at Basford was locked up at 1:30 today when I stopped over although not boarded up, piles of rubbish in the car park to the side, the chalkboards on the outside look like they were written recently so its maybe a peak time pub for now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Went down Daleside Road today and the Magpie is nearly raised to the ground. Another couple of working days and I expect it will be gone forever.

Bull and Butcher in Bulwell, now razed to the ground,
That was a few years ago Mickety when that was filmed. The guy in the ring was Reg a well known local now living in Spain, the landlord was Bill Gavin. It changed to a Carribean style pub but didn't last long.

Was it the Bull and Butcher that changed it's name to 'The Tut and Shive' in the early 90's?

And why do I know the name Bill Gavin? help me somebody please 'cos I'm pulling my hair out here!!!!!!

Ayup Katyjay,

Does anyone know if the Pelican on Bracebridge drive is still open? I used to frequent that establishment in the first half of the 70s, They once had a one armed barman by the name of Roy, a really nice chap always had time to talk to you about any subject.

It was also an old haunt for many of the miners from Wollaton colliery, You could buy anyone of them a pint and they would come out with all sorts of old pit tales even to the point of crawling under the tables and under the over hanging bar top to re-enact some rescue or other underground occurence, True characters and heroes everyone of them the likes of which will never grace this planet again, but what memories.

Cheers

Roger

This pub is still open but is a terrible dump

• 1 month later...

I read today that the "Corner Pin" in Long Eaton has closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting. I love the bit in the comments ,that you don't have many punch ups in real ale pubs 'cos the sight of beardy blokes has a calming effect .......LOL

I haven't noticed mate whether it has or hasn't closed, will make a note of looking the next time I pass bye......but if it has I'm not surprised because the litten tree is closed too.....to tell you the truth I won't be surprised if more pubs in LE close, it's becoming a ghost town at night especially in the week.

Bip.

Heard last night that the Corner Pin in LE has indeed closed but not for long, it’s having a make over.

Bip. always happy to inform.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is only the beginning of things. I sometimes think the pub trade will never be what it once was for various reasons. People understand how difficult it is for pubs to trade well these days but some aid partly to their own demise. Good examples are in a couple of the pubs that Red names above. It's been seen that the Mansfield Road/Sherwood Street can be a popular area for drinking. In their different ways The Lincolnshire Poacher, The Golden Fleece, The Forest Tavern/Maze and The Orange Tree seem to do well enough. Contrast that with The Rose of England in particular which become a hole - not a nice place to visit for a drink at all. The Newcastle Arms was drab and dreary and whilst I used to like The Hole in the Wall, one of the last times I went in there (on a Friday night too) me and two mates were the only people in there. I've never been back.

What is noticeable, and I hear friends say this all the time, is that many of the pubs that are disappearing are not places that will be excessively lamented. There's many a pub out there that could do with using the simple model successfully used by the likes of The Poacher -good quality beer, decent cheap-ish food and efficient service. There have been too many pubs that have rested on their laurels from the past when the bars were full. It's now coming back to bite them on the backside in this difficult time for UK pubs.

Very true Stu , Fade The Hard To Find Cafe was by far the busiest pub on Mansfield road last night .

Lucky i missed last nights stabbing .

From the Evening Post .

A MAN was in a critical but stable condition in hospital after being stabbed in the early hours of today.

The 42-year-old victim needed emergency surgery at the Queen's Medical Centre after being attacked near the Loft Bar, Mansfield Road, around 12.30am.

A Notts police spokeswoman said: "Detectives are keen to speak anyone who was in the area at the time."

Police taped off the area around the scene and one lane of Mansfield Road was closed before scenes of crime officers conducted a search.

Was forgetting Fade as well mate. Another thing there is that most women I know are happy enough to go in such a place - imagine asking them to go to The Rose of England?

That sadly is the second stabbing in the area inside around a month. There was the one near The Orange Tree too, perhaps two-three weeks ago. I used to feel safe enough around the Mansfield Road area but I have to say that I keep a wary eye out nowadays at all times.

Regards the old boozers closing down a good example is probably Bestwood. I don't think there is a single pub left in that area now which seems a bit crazy when you think of the population around that area. Kind of feel sorry for some of the folk who want to nip out for a drink up there without having to take a bus to Arnold, Sherwood or town but every single one of those pubs was, it has to be said, absolutely minging.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down