On 6/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, LizzieM said:

@Mess we’ve just got back from Lilliput this afternoon!  We rarely go into Bournemouth, (although we were at Castlepoint on Friday) as we’ve got plenty of beach over our end.   If we go over to Bournemouth beach I’ll look out for the slush machine!  
Watching Elton at Glastonbury now, with another B & C!  

Bournemouth beach and promenade starts to get very crowded when the sun comes out. 
We have small place in Southbourne which is much more relaxed.

We're currently renovating a house very close to Castlepoint. It's quite a project which will keep us occupied for several months.

Boscombe seafront is not bad but Boscombe itself is quite grubby. Its heyday was early in the 20th century when they built some wonderful houses but the shopping centre leaves a lot to be desired. 
We've not explored the posh bits of Poole too much yet but love the ferry over to Studland and Swanage.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for that Marrowman. I dropped into the place maybe 20 years ago and it seemed pretty dead but not very much different to when I knew it in the 1950s and early 60s.   Back then, there

I am glad you asked about Oxengate as I had never heard of it, I thought it might be my brain failing again, so to save embarrassment ,in old Bestwood talk I kept me g*b shut.

Home Ales from the other side. Mansfield Road is across the top of the photo, with Coronation Buildings clearly visible (and still there today).   The road along the bottom is Nottingh

74 years ago this very day, my parents were on their honeymoon in Southbourne having married at St Peter's Church in Old Radford on 25 June 1949.  My mother thought Southbourne was lovely and I have several photos of them taken during their stay.

Home Ales from the other side. Mansfield Road is across the top of the photo, with Coronation Buildings clearly visible (and still there today).

dfiEi7e.jpg

The road along the bottom is Nottingham Road leading into Arnold.

• Like 2

I’ve always admired Coronation buildings in Daybrook, opposite the old Home Brewery offices. Another nearby listed building, of similar vintage, is the Vale Hotel on the corner of Thackeray’s Lane. That’s also built in the art deco style and was designed by Cecil Hewitt the Nottingham architect. That was my local when we lived in Woodthorpe. I’ve not been inside in years but the interior was done out in spectacular art deco style.

The Coronation Buildings houses a varied selection of businesses, a Pine Shop, a picture-framing shop which we’ve used occasionally and also ‘The Abdication’ micro-pub.  

I often pass as I remember it from my childhood. I’ll stop and have a closer look next time. I’ll also pop into the Vale hotel to see if the interior is as I remember it. Sadly the Roxy Cinema is there no longer. Many happy times spent there! :biggrin:

The Vale Hotel is on the National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors (CAMRA). To quote from the entry - In the Vale and the Test Match Hotel, Nottinghamshire has two of the best art deco pub interiors in the country. The pub retains features such as the rounded projections on either end and its original metal windows. Also surviving is much of the sleek art deco interior. Pride of place goes to the central parts. Here there is a lovely glazed entrance lobby and, left of this,  a wonderful smoke room with original wall panelling, counter and bar back, and roundels bearing the Home Brewery initials; all this could be at home on a trans-Atlantic liner. 

Wow!

The last time I was in there was when I was doing the audit at the Daybrook Laundry and I lunched in there a few times around 1964. As I recollect the laundry buildings and offices also had an art deco look about them. The company secretary at the laundry was called Albert Brown, not the Albert Brown though!

• 9 months later...

Here is an  old Homes Ales sign from a closed Off Licence , how many of you had to go to one to collect drinks for your parents , no ID required in those days.

IMG-20240405-112637-resized-20240407-052

I've told the tale before. I carried an enamel jug to the beer-off for grandad's beer. It was a corner shop with a hand pulled beer pump. I was 5 yrs. old and rewarded with the drink of beer from an egg cup...

Looking at old photos of Nottingham, those signs seemed to be on every street corner.....and many of them are still there, although they're now faded and weather-beaten.

3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Or maybe a Light Ale.

IPA

When you look back at_______

Home Ales

Shippstone's

Kimberly 

Whitbread's

Mansfield

I am sure there are more?

5 hours ago, trogg said:

how many of you had to go to one to collect drinks for your parents

Not my parents, but my grandad. I was often sent to the off license in the village with a jug for his Shipstones bitter. Took a big glug once, never again. Had to get his Craven A untipped if he needed some too.

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I am sure there are more?

There certainly are Mary

Wards and Stones from Sheffield. Stones Bitter wasn't a bad drop

Holes and Warwick and Richardson from Newark. I liked the odd pint of Holes Bitter in one of the pubs in my village.

Somehow I don't think the next generation of drinkers will remember the myriad of craft breweries that are emerging with the same fondness of those mentioned here. Perhaps Castle Rock brewery may be developing that heritage.