GPs - Appointments and service

When I collect my prescriptions there is 3 or 4 copies of a repeat, even though I only need one. I tick the boxes on the left side and if okay for some items I just leave them blank. But I always write on the bottom of the page,

for example, 'Metformin not wanted on this occasion'. This saves sending unnecessary items when I already have sufficient. (Got one to pick up tomorrow). 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you say, you are likely to upset someone.   So just ignore them all and say what you think.

I have noticed with age I don’t care whether other people like my opinions or not. I don’t care about your colour, race or sexual gender, don’t understand the pronoun thing but am quite happy to call

A phone call this afternoon from the manager of the pharmacy at the local surgery apologising for what happened on Monday re: assistant attitude, I explained about not having my reading glasses with m

Alas, down yer in the sticks, we have to rely on pony express or wait for Wells Fargo to come by. Always assuming the witch doctor is busy. :blink:

• Like 1

Just a letterbox at my surgery. Tick the boxes before posting of course. Collect from pharmacy after they have sent me a text when ready to collect.

I also have the form which lists Repeat items.

I tick the box for whatever I need, and stick the form in the box at the doctor’s reception area.

Then go to Morrison’s pharmacy to collect it a few days later.

And they give me another form with more boxes to tick whenever I need the next one.

When everyone is ticking their own prescription boxes and collecting the prescription from a super market we won't need the jobs worths behind the counter at the doctors own pharmacy, same as self service supermarket checkouts and very soon self ordering of tickets at the train stations, all those people will be out of a job so the arrogance of the pharmacy worker won't get her very far will it?, sorry for having a right moan about this but the non existent customer service with arrogant people really upsets me, they don't even say please and thankyou anymore, 

Rog

• Like 1

My neighbour still uses the 'POD system, (prescription on demand). She just rings up and tells whoever answers the phone who she is and her requirements which are ordered at her nominated pharmacy and she collects when ready. I only tried once but only received half my stuff so never bothered since. Just as easy to tick boxes and nip down to surgery to drop it in.

My prescription is sent from the doctor to the pharmacy on a monthly basis and apart from a bit of balancing up at the start works well. I changed from the health centre pharmacy run by a very well known outlet because I got fed up with the excuses for shortages. It seemed odd that they couldn't get supplies when other pharmacies close by didn't have a problem.

• Like 1

I read that Boot's, the well known Nottingham chemist, intended to close a further 200 stores on top of a previous round of closures a year or so ago. Bulwell lost theirs in the last wave of closures, I believe.  I get my prescription from Boot's locally and have never had a problem with them. 

Just some info about PX (Prescriptions)  the paperwork eg your px is computer generated so its that will print it out not the pharmacist. You cannot over order as again the computer will only print so many of your PX then again the computer tells you to come in and have a review.  So your GP or some one from the sugery will phone you to come in or question you. The GP will look at what you have said and your PX is updated, If you have not ordred any medication for a while your meds go into a part of your PX called past drugs so your GP/Nurse can get it back at any time. All medicine has 2 names a generic and a common name but the 2 drugs active ingredient are the same when a company get the go-ahead to use a drug the common name is decided by them.  You can also get dipersible tablets or capsules these take effect more quickly than capsules.

Just a little more on your drugs Reps come into the surgery and ask to see a GP WHY!!! if a new drug comes on the market they want your GP to offer it to you. Now don't take this the wrong way but there is a lot of money to be made out of the drugs eg Reps , GP, Chemist they all have a share . I can say this with my eyes wide open as I worked at a well known GPs for 3 years. Once one of the reps  to get the surgery to have a drug the REP put on a party for all GPs Nurses, care workers, receptionist, ect it was at one of the GPs houses and guess what ? it was the first time that I had ever tasted Caviar. 

• Like 1

I've been getting my repeat presciptions via online systems for some years. I just go online via 'Patient Access', go to my meds, select what I need and request them. Doc sends scripts to my nominated pharmacy and they tell me when they are ready for collection. It works pretty well and they do react if I attach a note saying I need scripts early due to holidays etc.

Where I do disagree with the system is that I don't  see the need for a monthly system, when repeat meds like mine are only reviewed annually. I queried this some time ago and was told 'that's the way it is'. I was informed elsewhere that the reason is down to pharmacies getting a fee for each prescription  item. So maybe the system needs a review.

We keep it simple. When we’re running low on our prescription drugs I look at the date of last prescription and if it’s coming up to 2 months ago I toddle a few hundred yards to Carrington Pharmacy and order a new batch.  No problems, no issues, delightful and extremely helpful staff who have super memories, know our names and also what’s on our prescriptions!  We go there rather than GP surgery for our flu jabs too.  Got no complaints really about our GP practice, there are only 2 GPs and 2 or 3 nurses so it’s not manic and fortunately we don’t need a docs appointment very often anyway.  What I appreciate most is that the doctors surgery and the pharmacy are both within a few hundred yards of home …….. then we have 2 NHS hospitals within a couple of miles and 3 Private hospitals within 20 minutes drive.  Have to think about all that stuff when you get older! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I've been getting my repeat presciptions via online systems for some years. I just go online via 'Patient Access', go to my meds, select what I need and request them. Doc sends scripts to my nominated pharmacy and they tell me when they are ready for collection. It works pretty well and they do react if I attach a note saying I need scripts early due to holidays etc.

Where I do disagree with the system is that I don't  see the need for a monthly system, when repeat meds like mine are only reviewed annually. I queried this some time ago and was told 'that's the way it is'. I was informed elsewhere that the reason is down to pharmacies getting a fee for each prescription  item. So maybe the system needs a review.

DJ360 when I worked at the GP each px that was issusd the surgery recives £10,  there  is normaly some one at the surgey who deals only with your PX the GP only come to check it if there is a problem.  When I worked as a receptionist  thats one of the people who you all don't like,  the people who used to get your back up were folk who came on holiday with out there meds, or brought a long list of meds with them and expecred you to do a PX straight away,   We had to get in touch with there surgery before any meds could be issued. If it was urgent then you would see the GP and get your PX straight away. The only thing wrong was you would ask the paient whats your surgery called  "humm"  dont know , what meds are you on "hummm"   those's tiny blue ones was the reply. 

Going back to the 70s when I worked at the surgery on our computers was a site named EMISS and all your  health/meds/opps, were going to be on the site so if you went any where in the UK and fell ill. all the Docs./nurses / ect would be able to access your records. This has still not been done don't think it ever will.

Just one last thing when you do speak to any reception staff please dont get mad when they ask you any questions as they are only following orders from the GPs 

• Like 1

I have no complaints about our surgery, receptionist or even the attached pharmacy who to be fair are excellent and caring, I am complaining about this one pharmacy assistant who's customer service/focus is very poor and her attitude just as bad, after I told her I couldn't fill out the repeat prescription form because I didn't have my reading glasses with me she just told me to take it home, fill out the form there and bring it back to the pharmacy when in reality she could have just ticked the boxes on the form herself in less than half a minute

Rog

When I was much younger on Clifton I remember going to our GP, who was Dr S. Lundie. He was also the police doctor in the 1950s-60s.

But the main thing I remember was that when you walked into his surgery he was sitting at his desk smoking a cigarette.

• Like 1

Many doctors were exactly the same, CT. Drs Halley and McGrath who had a surgery near to me as a child and another in Bulwell, both smoked like chimneys and drank like fish. You'd sit in the waiting room, awaiting your turn (no appointments in those days) breathing in a miasma of cigarette smoke and gas fire fumes. Once you went into the consulting room, the GP was not visible for smoke!  I was trotted down there every November, near my birthday, suffering from bronchitis! I sometimes wonder how I survived.

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We keep it simple. When we’re running low on our prescription drugs I look at the date of last prescription and if it’s coming up to 2 months ago I toddle a few hundred yards to Carrington Pharmacy and order a new batch.  No problems, no issues, delightful and extremely helpful staff who have super memories, know our names and also what’s on our prescriptions!  We go there rather than GP surgery for our flu jabs too.  Got no complaints really about our GP practice, there are only 2 GPs and 2 or 3 nurses so it’s not manic and fortunately we don’t need a docs appointment very often anyway.  What I appreciate most is that the doctors surgery and the pharmacy are both within a few hundred yards of home …….. then we have 2 NHS hospitals within a couple of miles and 3 Private hospitals within 20 minutes drive.  Have to think about all that stuff when you get older! 

So Lizzie it seems you get supplies for 2 months?  I could live with that.

We have two 'Well' pharmacies in the village.. both around 10 minutes walk, so no complaints there.

We have St Helens Hospital and Whiston Hospital nearby, though I wouldn't want to have to get a bus to either. It would be a 'two bus/two hour' job I fear.. though driving is pretty simple and takes 15 mins as we can avoid town centres. Wigan Hospital is awkward to drive to as well as being a thoroughly horrible place..but I very rarely need to go there.

Wrightington, where I go for my knee stuff, is a delight to drive to, as the route involves skirting Billinge Hill, then driving through several scenic villages and  over the associated Ashurst Beacon and Parbold Hill, with tremendous views out across West Lancs etc. Staff are also lovely, including the very affable surgeon Prof. Peter Kay.

4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Just one last thing when you do speak to any reception staff please dont get mad when they ask you any questions as they are only following orders from the GPs 

Mary, just as on here.. I am always the very epitome of courtesy and patience when dealing with Receptionists.  The ones at my current practice are superb. The ones at my previous practice were mostly grim faced, surly idiots..but I kept my cool... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Many doctors were exactly the same, CT. Drs Halley and McGrath who had a surgery near to me as a child and another in Bulwell, both smoked like chimneys and drank like fish.

When I wur a lad..we were registered with Drs Murray, Reid and Stillman in Boowul. One was famous for his drinking.. the other two seemed OK but indistinguishable from each other to me.. I don't recall whether they smoked, but so many did back then that you hardly noticed.

6 hours ago, plantfit said:

I have no complaints about our surgery, receptionist or even the attached pharmacy who to be fair are excellent and caring, I am complaining about this one pharmacy assistant who's customer service/focus is very poor and her attitude just as bad, after I told her I couldn't fill out the repeat prescription form because I didn't have my reading glasses with me she just told me to take it home, fill out the form there and bring it back to the pharmacy when in reality she could have just ticked the boxes on the form herself in less than half a minute

Rog

When I come across somen one like you had Rog  I just ask them "Tell me are you happy with you job?"  If not there are lots of people out side to fill it, and guess what the person is  normaly  speachless.

• Like 1

Going back to GPs surgery's we had 2 doctors. Dr Gomaz and Dr Davidson  when you went into the waiting room, ( no reception then ) there was an electric fire , it was a 3 bar fire  with only the middle bar working. you had to just sit and wait till one of the Dr was free. After a patient had seen the GP he/she would knock on the waiting room door so the next person could go in. There was always one brave person who ask which Dr the door knocker had seen. If the reply was Dr Davidson then all  would look at each other to see which person was going in. Now Dr Davidson was at least 80 if a day but he told people what he thought "What you want a sick note"  "Why?"  theres nothing up with you get yourself to B???? work and don't waste my time.  He came out on a home visit once to my mums, my brother was home with his wife and baby he was on leave from the RAF and due to go back to camp. At the time there was an epidemic of measles on the camp and my sister in law thought baby had got the bug. Dr Davidson came into the front room walked right past the baby and said to mum "OK where is he"  mum said you have passed baby he is on the sofa. With that he just said "Nothing wrong with the brat if you want to go back to camp with out him then lock him in the B??? coal shed and go"  with that he walked out slamming the door. 

Later our surgery did get into the 20th century by having two light blubs  in the waiting room  one was red (Dr was with some one) (Green was the other colour Dr is free) By this time Davidson had gone to the waiting room in the sky and thenew Dr was Dr Martin.

A phone call this afternoon from the manager of the pharmacy at the local surgery apologising for what happened on Monday re: assistant attitude, I explained about not having my reading glasses with me and it was unrealistic of the assistant to tell me to go home, fill out the form and taking it back to the pharmacy and the manager agreed it could have been handled better and with more care, anyway we parted company friends so no hardship or damage done, just thought I would let you know the outcome, it's one thing to have negative complaints or a good moan on these pages but it is also nice to post positive things too

Rog

• Like 5

Was she taken out the back door Rog, and given a severe dressing down before being put up against the wall and shot !

Don't think it got that far Barrie but people in that type of work do need to be helpful and caring not abrupt and arrogant (although I didn't say that to the pharmacy manager), I was grateful that my complaint/experience was acknowledged and time taken to contact me, I don't bare a grudge or expect a grovelling apology just my email was read

Rog

Good - and surprising - news on the medical front.

I rang my GP this morning for an appointment (nothing serious). I got through easily and was given a time of 10.40am........in person.

I had to double check what I was hearing, because I expected a phone consultation; that's all I've had for several years. To go back to seeing a real doctor in the same room was a bit of a shock.

• Like 1