Wilko - will they survive ?

Your right Rog...........but the people who run Bulwell seem to realise how important the free parking is.......long may it continue......

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I RECALL this Wilkinsons opening mid 60s .Mansfield road Sherwood...i was Managing the Farrands/Thrifty store3 or 4 doors further up......

I don't know how many shops they had at the time but Wilkinsons Hardware had the housewares/d.i.y. concession at the GEM Supercentre at West Bridgford when it opened in 1964 . That may have been their

I do hope so Ben, Bulwell is a great place, full of friendly people and smiling faces, although I've been left for over eighteen years I always manage to bump into old friends from years ago

Rog

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The final Wilkos close on October 8th, that includes Arnold and Hucknall.

Parliament St and Bulwell close on the 5th October.

Poundland are having the leases on Beeston Kimberley and a few more remote from Nottingham, but no local ones.

B & M have said they won't announce their "up to 51" until shareholders have been informed in November.

Yes Poundland are supposed to be having the Kimberley Wilko. Went to Kimberley Sainsburys today and looked across at Wilko's old shop and it has 'To Let' notices outside. Surely if Poundland's were taking Wilko shops over that wouldn't be necessary? 

I would imagine the Wilko Administrators have got / will put To Let signs on all the empty shops.

They have to dispose of all assets and discharge liabilities so until someone else has actually signed a transfer for the lease then that shop lease remains a liability.

Given the uncertainty of bids for the shops / leases / brand name in the early stages and probably from past experience, I doubt the Administrators are going to assume that all the companies that have expressed interest are actually going to complete on everything.

When they look in detail they may find issues with the lease / building location etc and back out.

B&M are still quoted as saying "Up to 51", so that might only be 2, or 10 or none.

• 3 months later...

I was in The Range today and they had a number of Wilko-branded items on sale in various sections. Maybe they're just getting rid of old stock, but it was a surprise to see the name on display.

The Range at Somercotes had Wilko stuff in before Christmas. Seeds were among the items, so I don't think it was old stock. Wilko usually sell seeds off minus 70% at the end of the gardening season and I am pretty sure that had done that before they went pop.

The Range bought the Wilko brand name and website etc and will be selling Wilko branded goods along with their own in Range stores.
They may open up some dedicated Wilko Brand shops.

Chris Dawson who owns The Range stores bought out the Wilkos brand name and has started to open shops under that name , one opening in Plymouth , another in Exeter and one in Luton with more to follow. 

More here

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2023/12/wilko-open-40-stores/

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Wilko - will they survive ?
  • 2 months later...

Not Nottingham - sorry - but B&M are now occupying the large Wilko   site in Ely.  Looks good….

I have just brought some goods from Wilkinsons.  The shop that has taken them over is The Range.   the goods that i brought  was off internet.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a four slice toaster from "The Range" last month,stainless steel with loads of settings, blew the fuses in the house yesterday so threw it in the bin, load of rubbish like a lot of stuff in that store

Rog

From the Range (and most other places), it will be cheap and made in China. The solution you would think is to pay more and get a better-quality appliance. 

Except even if you spent £125 and came away with a premium brand SMEG you would still have a toaster made in China with the same gubbins inside as the one from the Range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Brew said:

Except even if you spent £125 and came away with a premium brand SMEG you would still have a toaster made in China with the same gubbins inside as the one from the Range.

It is very difficult to find something that is not "Made in China" these days.

I don't think our pollie wafflers know what sovereign capability and sovereign capacity mean.

Long time since I've heard the word "gubbins", it was one of my dad's favourites alongside "doins"

• Like 1