You can't beat the M25 ! 'Death race 2000', and at peak times an average speed of 13mph. Any junction is a favourite, if it means getting off the bloody thing.

• Like 3

If only there was a Junction for 'Bal..Ham...'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tebay is OK..ish..buy it's very expensive for the basics...  Must be to pay for the extra 'e'. ;) 

'Spaghetti Junction' is overhyped.. it's pretty benign really.

For sheer terror, little comes close to this lot, as thousands charge downhill way over 70 mph and jostle for position over about a hundred lanes...

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4879548,-2.3769189,15.17z?entry=ttu

A close second, is the Irwell river crossing on the M60/M62.., between Jn 16 and 17 locally nicknamed 'Death Valley'. 

On the map it's a straight run.  The reality is rather more 'exiting'.. All manner of traffic howls downhill and over the river, and it would be easy to be distracted by the attractive looking woods etc., along the valley, but then, as soon you reach the other side, all of the HGVs heading uphill towards Jn 17 grind to a virtual halt.. the slightly quicker ones pull out into lane two, and assorted cars..drivers caught out..try to get out into lane 3, whilst those who know the stretch were already out in three, or four, and don't want to lose ground.

Great fun...

Service stations? Now if you were talking transport caffs, that's another matter. The Salt Box caff, Hilton I think, @RadFordee could co firm location.

The Limes, on the A614 near Ollerton. Not forgetting Bobbers mill caff, that used to be a pearler. Feel hungry now !

I regret the loss of the Little Chefs. Always good for an early breakfast on a long journey. The ‘Early Starter’ or the ‘Olympic’, if you had the space! In my business life I often travelled down to Kent so I’ve probably visited most of the Little Chefs on the A1 south. 

The Little Chefs were really good but did go down the pan towards the end. Tebay is always worth a visit for the shop but I’m not keen on the food. Now the Salt Box at Hilton is definitely one of my favourites.

Spaghetti junction looks intimidating, but from my experience, it’s nothing compared to the M42/M6/M6Toll interchange. Watching some drivers wobbling between lanes, not knowing which one they should actually be in, was a cross between amusement and blind fear of an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 3

Beekay, my bro used to live at Sutton on the Hill and my ma moved to Stoke so the Salt Box was always a favourite on both journeys for brekkers. Sadly neither are now with us but might be worth a trip out there just for old times sake. It was always a great favourite with bikers and truckers.

• Upvote 1

Many years since I drove past the Salt Box.  Am I correct in thinking it was on the Nottm> Stoke road before the A50 was developed to its current state? They must have lost a lot of business when that happened.

If I recall, the last time I passed the place was on a drive from here down to a 'Professional Development' course in Leicester.. probably early '90s, when I chose entirely the wrong route and it took me hours longer than it should have...:wacko:

On another occasion, when listening to BBC Radio 2, there was someone who phoned in for a request or somesuch and said she was a worker, or maybe the proprietor at the Salt Box.

The Salt Box is exactly where you said it was guys. I could eat one of their breakfasts right now but guess I’ll have to make do with cornflakes.