Things our parents used to say

Here's one I said today, and I remember Mam and Dad saying it, particularly if some one looks odd,

Why should England tremble

If we put something on that didn't suit us....You look a right Fruit in that.

To describe someone who is comical....as being a proper little Cough Drop.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

If we put something on that didn't suit us....You look a right Fruit in that.

Or....You look a right nana.

........You look a right twerp.

You look a "proper nana " was what I remember.

Didn't we walk down the 'Corsy'? Pavement !

And when we did, didn't we have to avoid cracked slabs because it was very bad luck to step upon them?

If we saw a funeral we had to hold our collar until we saw a dog, otherwise, again bad luck would decend.

'Stinking Nanny' stems would make good arrows or javlins but stripping the leaves off left you with a terrible odour. Wikipedia says another common name for Jacobaea vulgaris was Mare's Fart. That, I can understand.

We held our collar if we saw an ambulance. And yes, you never stepped on a crack. Obviously that one was baloney, nobody I knew broke their back! We used the tassels on dried grasses to throw on to someone unsuspecting, and it stuck in their jersey.

I got up to page 6 and didn't see this one, sorry if it's in later.

If we were rushing our meal to get out and play, our mum used to tell us to "stop golloppin' yer food!"

At other times, if we asked what was for tea, it would be "run rahnd table".

My dad had a word he picked up in N.Africa in WW2 that he used if he wanted us to do things quicker - Himshi!

Probably politically incorrect now.

Not that Ar Mam was about much - but I do recall her telling me - on many an occasion: "Goo an do a bit o' nubbin' fer mi!"

I remember some of Dad's usage of words though.

"Oi, ger thissen in here young un!" - Trouble fer me that one!

When me and me dad were delivering fishing bait around the country and it got to lunch time, the owd man used to say " ar we ayin any nosebag"? Or " am ready for me snap duck. Am bleedin ank"!and when we were unsure about owt. Dad used to reassure us all with his very believable "be reet duck"

• Upvote 1

And when we were all in the front room wi big lie'ton cus me mamun dad wer reedin the post. If me and my brothers got a bit loud, dad used to say " de'yeer yor two, shurrup orrile gier summut to shairt abairt"

there was no ester rantzon in those days (hahaha) so we did as he so gracefully requested.

I do miss the owd man as my brothers and me used to call him, he was propper trent bridge school!

One my wife uses when my daughters ask where I am?....hes in his garage pottering! Whats pottering?

If you potter around or potter about, you do pleasant but unimportant things, without hurrying.

My name ought to have been Potter methinks. Hehe.

Dad used to say I'd make a Saint swear and mum used to tell me to stop acting the goat.

I was a tad hyperactive as a kid.

cananyone else remember this one or was it just a made up one from our family my dad used to say certain people were pisspoticle meaning the were full of crap or bull sh**