Floods October 2023

I’ve just looked out of a window and can see a pond forming on the side lawn. I may need rescuing. Fortunately my wife has gone to open up the village hall for the Lifeboat Association coffee morning so help may be at hand. I doubt that anyone will turn up for coffee today though! I do have an inflatable dinghy in the garage so I might be doing rescues myself today.

Update: Coffee morning is cancelled! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

No chance. Flat battery and empty fuel tank. It’s mayhem out there. We’ve been over to Norwell and up to Tuxford out of necessity and a lot of the country lanes are impassable due to flood water and stuck vehicles. Fortunately we were in a 4x4 but even then it was a bit hairy in places. The Trent at Fiskerton is very high and could well be over this evening. The A612 past Lowdham is closed as is the road through Lambley. Caunton is cut off and there’s only one way into Norwell. Kelham Rd. Is open but the Trent will be over there by tonight. Pleased to be back home!

Our daughter is in a queue up to Dorket Head in Arnold and is trying to get back to Norwell. Her partner is on his way back from Horncastle and is also hampered by the floods. There’s very little we can do to help as everywhere is snarled up. We may have to go over to Norwell later to feed the animals but I don’t fancy going down some of the back lanes in the dark.

The good news is that our daughter’s partner is now home so we won’t have the 25 mile round trip to feed the animals. Daughter is now heading towards Newark on the A617 so she should be able to take the A1 to Cromwell and the back lane to Norwell which is the only village road still open. We can’t get out in the Nottingham direction as the A612 is flooded at Thurgarton. It will be interesting to see how much the Trent rises overnight. We could still be cut off!

One of old flying instructors, since departed, used to fly Sunderlands so I did get a bit of feedback. I think my flying days are over now. I did put on my yellow oilskins to go out in this morning but my wife said the rain wasn’t that heavy. How wrong she was!

• Like 1

I’ve just been to Fiskerton village shop. The Trent looks very scary. Muddy and very choppy. The river will certainly be over its banks during the night. I’ve seen it all before in my 61 years in the area but I’ve never seen the waters rise so quickly. We’ve never personally had floods as were quite high but the water backs up the drainage dykes and can block the lanes. I keep checking the flood warnings!

Phil, hope you will be ok. Some friends of ours in Chesterfield have had to abandon their house which is flooded. They took refuge in the pub but then that got flooded too. 

This all makes me feel quite guilty to say we've been sitting out in the sun today ! 'Er indoors has her 80th buthday on Sunday, but we might only finish up in a garden centre for lunch. Take care, yo folks oop North.

The River Amber is looking dangerously high and the Derwent at Matlock looks likely to exceed its 1965 record, according to the news.  Lots of houses which have been built on known flood plains in recent years will face a stiff test with this volume of water.

My Son works near Darley Dale, the A.6 at Darley Dale / Rowsley  was closed after lunch today, it's where someone got washed away a couple of years ago.

This was Chesterfield this afternoon, where it usually floods.

Yes, the person in red is riding a bike through the floods.

JMkjDVq.png

• Like 1

Dj glad you are progressing well. PP many congratulations on your anniversary I omitted to wish you well.

Very shocked to see so much flooding in England Hope no one was in danger. Tonight I looked out the kitchen window which looks towards the road. The sky was black with sunny bits and to the east the sky was pink. We are in for some bad weather and probably flooding too , only hope we will be as lucky as we’ve been in the past.After the extremely cold days recently we’ve gone back to warm then it’ll change again. No wonder there’s a lot of sore throats around. Keep dry and we’ll everyone.

There’s a flood alert here in the Trent Valley and the river, as measured at the Colwick flood gauge is still rising as the waters are still rushing down from Derbyshire. At the moment it’s at 4.7M and the highest recently recorded level was 5.5M in November 2000. I remember, with a couple of friends, taking my inflatable down to the bottom end of the village and rowing along the roads at hedge height. I did notice this afternoon some houses along our Main Street, who were below the road level, were pumping water out. The A612 at Gonalston was flooded to about 8 inches and water from the Dover Beck was pouring across the road. There were a couple of cottages in Lowdham that were drying out their furniture and the cricket ground was flooded. The A1 is closed, just above Newark, right up to beyond Tuxford. Our daughter in Norwell was totally isolated yesterday evening but one road into their village is now open. We went there yesterday lunchtime to let the dog out and drove through a foot of water on the way home. My wife’s had a 4x4 long before they were trendy and we’ve tackled snowdrifts, floods and muddy fields on many occasions.

I’ve just been to the Bromley Arms (8.30pm) and the Trent is over the bank covering the footpath about an inch or so deep. Running very fast with large logs trees etc floating down. I spoke to one of the flood wardens who happened to be there who said it’s been rising about an inch an hour all day but now steadying at Colwick loch. 

I don’t think we’re going to get a repeat of the November 2000 river level. I’ve never seen the Bromley flooded but they did evacuate the care home at Hazleford and send the residents to various other homes. Boat lane was flooded to the Gibsmere cross road. The Colwick river level is now falling slightly.

It’s recently been reopened with a new landlord. Got to sell a lot of food and drink to cover those outgoings though. Although it’s only 2 miles away I’ve not been in for over 20 years. Back in 1962 we Young Conservatives used meet in their tearoom on a Monday night. I’m not even an Old Conservative now!

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve never seen the Bromley flooded

The flood wall at the front of the Bromley should protect it or does the water come round the back way? Got to be hell of a lot of water coming down the river and all the fields on the other side must be under water.

33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m not even an Old Conservative now!

Surely you are old! but no longer a Conservative.

Many a pint of Kimberley in the Bromley Arms when fishing at Fiskerton or further up near Hazleford. It was the first place on the river with a bus service from where I lived.

In 2000 just after I moved here the November flood water was just covering the tops of the picnic tables in front of the Bromley and the car park flooded to within 2 yards of the wooden flood barrier they put across the wall. Although it was dark last night it was water as far as you could see over the opposite bank.

2 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

In 2000 just after I moved here the November flood water was just covering the tops of the picnic tables in front of the Bromley

Blimey! Can't imagine what it would have been like in the surrounding countryside.

15 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve never seen the Bromley flooded. Bleasby to Fiskerton Rd. is closed as is Kelham Rd. and Boat Lane at Hazleford. Also water over the road where the Greet enters the Trent at Fiskerton.

All the usual suspects for flooding, hope everyone is safe. If my memory serves me correctly the Greet enters the Trent at the end of the flood wall on the road out of Fiskerton heading towards Rolleston?

Yes it does. The Greet passes Fiskerton Mill which is on the road to Rolleston, then onto the Trent. The land over the far side of the Bromley is farmland and an accepted flood plane. It’s where the battle of east Stoke was fought with the path there still known as red gutter as so much blood flowed down it to the river. I expect they’ll build houses on it before long.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Floods October 2023