I remember my mum taking me to a toy shop on Drury hill,Beecrofts I think,but that must have been 55years ago.

It's been mentioned here before, but thanks for reminding me because it prompted me to look for a photo of it. And finally I've found one.

beecrofts.jpg

And does any else remember "Bux" the bookshop, nearest the camera?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly, you walked past Dunn & Co and turned left into Board Marsh. where we met in the cafe every morning for the worst cup of stewed tea in the world before walking up Drury hill steps to Weekda

The Towers pub was on the way into Broad Marsh. Now that was rough! A place for picking up ladies of ill repute I believe.

I always went down drury hill from work to broadmarsh bus station to catch my bus home.The narrow road and shops was great to go down. Does anyone remember the smell on drury hill, it was not a bad smell but what was it?

Walking down there was like being transported to the past, yes! have to say it should have been saved and I have never liked the new Broadmarsh(new! shows my age it was built in the sixties) Planning was short sighted and not enough of the "old" was retained.

Too many people on the "mek haste"

There were many old dye works in the caves under Drury Hill, viewed from the "City of Caves exhibit" in the Broad Marsh Centre

I have never liked the new Broadmarsh(new! shows my age it was built in the sixties)

Not sure when they actually started work on Broadmarsh, but I worked on the Coop when it was built, and that was opened in 1974.

I was at that job for 6-9 months as far as I can remember.

Wasn't the leather smell from a cobblers on Drury Hill?

I recall the cobblers, & agree the smell may have come from there, smelled of leather & glue, we'd go up/down Drury hill regularly me mam & me, going up was hard work!!

I worked on the Albany as I have said before And was there when I met the wife which was 1967/68, I remember a lot of the people from the Albany went to the Broadmash job and also to the vic centre. I left the albany soon after the topping out ceremony but remember all three jobs running at the same time at various stages. probably not finished untill the early seventies.

Or at least people had jobs to go to at the broadsmarsh project so they were recruiting then. Victoria centre had been started.

I seem to recal Mick posting that he wired up the Co op in there (All on his own of course) in '69

Yes I worked on the Broadmarsh Coop, did the lighting on the escalators and Window lighting amongst other things.

I remember when all the scaffolding collapsed when the Albany was being built and thats a lot of scaffolding

I always went down drury hill from work to broadmarsh bus station to catch my bus home.The narrow road and shops was great to go down. Does anyone remember the smell on drury hill, it was not a bad smell but what was it?

Just reading a letter in Bygones, the writer reminiscing about Drury Hill. "There was a bookshop and towards the bottom of Drury Hill there was some kind of metal treatment workshop which, at times, gave off a rather pungent smell" Maybe this was what you were smelling, Braddy?

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn't that remarkable...many of the shop fronts had been chopped and changed over the years.But at one time it was a through route from South to North,and being so narrow it had character.

The annoying thing is,along with the cave systems it could have been built around. And with the right tenants could have been a major attraction for the city.

You can see from this picture that it was a slum area in Victorian days and was in need of the Acme Roofing Company...but it is sadly missed.

8d829c92.jpg

• Upvote 1

It started opposite the end of Bridlesmith Gate, and the bottom opened out in Broad Marsh bus station I do believe. I think Cliff Rd was left at the bottom of the hill?

Hard to explain today...If you go to the end of Bridlemith gate to Low pavement.The top of Drury hill was smack opposite...An entrance to Broad Marsh today.

As it was...

0a0aea47.jpg

And now....you can recognise the windows on the Regency House that remains.

74fb80b6.jpg

It went from there down to the old Broad Marsh.

where did Drury Hill start and finish in todays terms? i cant remember it at all?

As poohbear showed in post #71, you can see the remains of the top end of it fairly easily; the other end is more difficult to place, but you can find a bit of a remnant. This photo shows the bottom of Drury Hill coming out onto Middle Marsh

hilllower.jpg

At the bottom you can see the brick pillar and the railway viaduct going across.

On this Streetview image, that brick pillar is on your right, and you are looking towards where those cars are parked

http://maps.google.c...317.21,,1,-3.13

Thanks for posting those photographs poohbear and Cliff Ton...I can get my bearings now. What I would give to see those views now.