What No Santa!? How Did You Guys Find Out?

Nobody told me there wasn't a Santa,I stumbled across it when I was quite young.I remember being in the 2nd storey bedroom in Ryehill St & it was freezing in the winter, no heating in those days brrr! anyway, I was the eldest daughter & I shared a bed with my middle sister, it was late at night & I woke to see my dad struggling in with what seemed a massive crunchy sack of toys,I couldnt let him see me awake, but I swear he would have heard my little heart nearly beating out of my chest!! after that I seem to remember "Santa" left our sack of toys at the top of the stairs which was awful as we thought he hadnt been to visit :(

Christmas was really special in those days,& I tried to make it special for my kids too,but unfortunately the world isn't as innocent as it was when I ws a kid & I think the kids of today suffer for it even though they may not realise it.

Caz

It came as a shock when Santa fell off the roof that fateful day..

as he lay on the stretcher in the abulance, I happened to notice the tattoos displayed on his arms, they looked uncannily like the ones uncle Percy had on his.. a Zombie rising from the crypt, and a mad axeman poised for the strike, with the words 'Lucy' written underneath.. it was ulikely Santa would own tattoos such as these, and it was then all became clear.. for the last 18 years I had been led up the garden path..

later when I was to ask him about all this, he admitted he was totally addicted to the sherry, and for fear of reprisals had kept shtum!

ilko.

• 7 years later...

I remember us kids being offered toys at school from Santa when I was about 7.I said there was no Santa and remember the teacher saying if you didn't believe in him you wouldn't get any toys.Of course us non believers immediately said we all believed.

I never remember believing this silly story .....and my children never believed it either....some children as old as 6 still haven't worked it out, and to be honest it is really immature and greedy to expect a bloke with a reindeer to give you whatever you wish !!!!!!

Thanks Catfan, we are living in a far too material world today...children are not taught the value of money and the need to save .... With stores like Toys r us , it is Xmas every day for the children whose parents can't say no......a good majority of these families can't afford to be held to ransom by their children and a society that believes in instant gratification. There is a fine line between fact and fiction, and the father Xmas story should be at least exposed by school age ...

He's got more than one reindeer, and he's got elves an' things, what would they do if Santa 'sacked' them all!!, just go on benefits, that's what!!

Do you really want to be responsible for such an action?...........................Oh, and by the way I don't know many pre 6 year olds who aren't 'really immature', we all know that it's become huge business, but it probably always was to some degree,

For many it's still a reason for families to get together (good or bad results!!), & would leave a cavernous hole to be filled during the depths of winter if it was struck from the calender............

• Upvote 1

I agree it is a great time for families to get together, distance allowing....,..but too many people are made to feel lonely, vulnerable and in debt because of Xmas.... We should spend all year thinking about our families and those less fortunate.....that is a true Christian.....and as everybody knows father Xmas wasn't a Christian, otherwise he would be at church on December 25, instead of working for treble pay, what a greedy man....

Bah Humbug to the lot of yers !!

Whether you're a Christian or not, Christmas is a time for tradition (Including Santa if you have kids), giving, family, and above all love to your fellow man , whatever his nationality , creed or colour.

I was 7 when I found out , my sister spoiled it for me, mind you she had only just found out and she was nearly 10 !

My kids still believe (9 and 6) and write a letter to him every year without fail , which is given to the round table who come round on the lead up to Christmas.

Our Charlotte will probably believe in it for a lot longer , as she puts it, "I've seen him , so I know he exists" She actually saw me dressed as Santa about to put presents at the foot of her bed and she sat up ! . I just walked out the room with her presents , didn't say anything , went back later when I knew she was asleep !! I wrote her a letter purporting to have come from Santa thanking her for the Mince Pie, Glass of Sherry and the Carrot for Rudolph but I did chastise her slightly for still being awake when I came ! She still has it , and shows it to our Adam every year without fail. (It'll probably break her little heart to find out her parents are pathological liars !! )

As for the giving of gifts and expecting nowt in return it's not too hard in my case, I spent a small fortune on SWMBO last year what did I get in return ? a bloody kettle and a toaster ! , mind you , the small fortune was on a Dyson ..........LOL

• Upvote 1

Great post Beefsteak!

It is the children, the family and friends that gather and enjoy this special time of the year; made even better by the love and camaraderie that seems to come to the surface during this time. Even strangers are pleasant and have a smile on their faces.

But Christmas is about the little ones and long may this tradition continue. The looks of awe, surprise and joy on their faces is something to cherish, as those caring for us did when we were babes in arms.

The age of reality will soon catch up with them, together with the cynics, humbugs and others debunking the festive season.

Don't deny the little ones the joys of christmas. Let them live the dream while they can.

Long may Santa reign.

• Upvote 1

........or snow! Tell you the truth, I can't remember when I stopped believing in Santa....oh, wait a minute, I know.....it was two years ago!!!! My Daughter told me just the other day, that she and her Brother heard me creeping up the stairs one Christmas. She said they both got out of bed and saw me struggling, carrying two sacks full of presents.They never said a thing until now!!

• Upvote 2

I never passsed the test so I can't drive one !........(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).................. slywink

I totally agree with your post #14 Beefsteak..................If only we could maintain the spirit of Christmas all year.............. :)

...as in "Good will to ALL men"?

So many seem to forget that bit - and that it applies to EVERYBODY and all year round!

• 2 weeks later...

Done it again !! (Wierd coincidence that is) I was just looking at that site and told our Adam it was only 19 hours till he sets off !!