Chippy's Ain't Wot They Used To Be!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^^^That Chinese chippy is that the one where the sign above the window read FISH    R. JUST   CHIPS. I always assumed the owner was R. Just

Compo #74 Salt and Pepper Squid is one of my favourites. The trick is not to cook it too long as it can get chewy. Don't overload the oil, just cook a few at a time, and if needed let it come bac

Perhaps a Nottstalgia outing there then !

Posted Images

oooh.. sounds yummy! Been told to par boil some tatties, slice em into chips n spray them with that low fat oil n oven cook. Gonna try these at the weekend, see if theyre any good

If you're doing it that way Pixie, slice them into chips first then drain the water off after the par boil, put the lid back on and give them a bit of a shake to rough them up a bit, makes them a lot more rustic. Make loads and freeze them saves you a fortune in the run

Thats how i do my roasties, beefsteak! Chop, Par boil, Drain & give am a shake to rough em up a little, slap em into a pan covered in hot oil & voila, Turn em round a couple of times while cooking, add abit of seasalt and pepper - your done. Or some mixed herbs if i have any in. Been told i make the best roasties about, Talk about achevement in life haha!

Mick Lehman's (AKA Manfred, Dungeon regular) mam & dad bought him a chippy in old basford, early 70's, he manged to turn it from agreat chippy, in to a potential emporium for foul food!!

Chips from the chip shop never seem to taste like they did when you were a kid. I have them from time to time, usually from my nearest chippy at Daybrook square which is excellent, but I always find the prospect of them better than the actual taste. I'm never sure of the reason for that.

Years of assault on yer taste buds.................................takes it's toll, on a happier note beer & wine still taste as good, if not better!!

All wrapped up in vinegar soaked newspaper, luvly' grub wonnit.

F&C wrapped in newspaper had a particular smell, unlike todays white paper.

and The newsprint imparted a flavour of its own despite the greasproof between

the food and the newsprint.

It was banned from use many years ago. Health & safety.

We survived our food being wrapped in it.

If you were feeling flush you would have Potato fritters and substitute

Baked beans for your mushy peas.

In the 1960s the Best Chippy in the Meadows was on Bunbury Street.

Walk along Bunbury Street from the Embankment, past the Bus depot on the left.

Cross Bathley street and it was on the first corner on the left.

There was also one on the right opposite the bus depot corner

of Turney St, but not as good.

And its still there

turneyst.jpg

But the other has been built over!

It was where the last house is on the left, Now part of Bunbury street but then Lamcote Street.

lamcotestreet.jpg

Anyone mentioned the fabulous 'Chippy' on Wollaton Street - in town - yet?:

Up the rickety stairs to the top where formica topped tables were assembled, long, low wooden benches underneath; and you could treat yourself to a golden, crispy battered fish, a mountain of hot chips and a dollop of peas on a huge plate. Delicious.

There's a large thread covering that one chippy somewhere in the Archives. Something to do with meat pies springs to mind , but I may be wrong. I'll go and have a good look.

It's mentioned in here a couple of times , then scroll down to Radfordreds link to another topic covering it !!!!

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4829&st=0&p=55298&hl="wollaton%20street"&fromsearch=1entry55298

Harry Lomax's it used to be called

• 3 years later...