How Much Are Your Old Records Worth?

I was mulling over some of my old Reggae & Ska LP's baught in the 60's, and thought I would do search on some of em on the Internet.

Thought I might struggle to find 'Scandal in a Brixton market' - Laurel Aitkin & Girly.

2520088321.jpg

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'> LINK </span>

However I found that this particular album is worth quite a bit! :o

LAUREL AITKEN LP, PAMA ECO, 1969, MINT

End price: GBP 85

End date: 2004-03-10

Start price: GBP 0

Start date: 2004-03-03

Number of bids: 22

Auctioned at: ebay

Anyone got any vinyl they think might be worth owt?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The subject has gone off piste a little, but is interesting nevertheless. Record-playing runs in our family. Before the war, dad, who was very good at carpentry, made a radiogram, in the art deco styl

'Diana' sung by Paul Anka (#109), always reminds me of the Nottingham Goose Fair. I'd be stood with my mates at the side of the Waltzers watching the girls screaming as the chaps walk around spinning

The thing about Hi-Fi and all the attendant gubbins was that the equipment was more than just for playing records, the stuff was 'Objet d'art'. It looked great as well as sounding great. I notice th

Posted Images

:o I don't have many and i shoulden't imagine they are worth anything either, one or two Gilbert O'Sullivan LPs. Anyway the needle in my record player arm is missing, i did replace it once but it broke after a short time and i have not replaced it since then....most of my music i have is on Tape, CD or MP3 files..... :)

post-9-1108390229_thumb.jpg

I checked Ebay sales, the 'Pama' record label actually sells for high prices

(completed sales from feedback)

I paid 14/6d for that LP, so I think I could just squeeze a profit :P

Here's a rare one.. features various Nottm bands from around the early 70's..

serial No. 000165..

I remember one being offered on Ebay some time back, but can't remember the exact price it went for.

I bought this one from a record shop on Alfreton road near Canning Circus..

reckon it cost about 10/-

There can't be many of these left, it's got to be worth at least GBP 20 now!.

post-9-1108417076_thumb.jpg

Here's a rare one.. features various Nottm bands from around the early 70's..

serial No. 000165..

I remember one being offered on Ebay some time back, but can't remember the exact price it went for.

I bought this one from a record shop on Alfreton road near Canning Circus..

reckon it cost about 10/-

There can't be many of these left, it's got to be worth at least GBP 20 now!.

Is that the one with Dawn Trader / No Tears / Fatal Charm Ect ...?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a copy of Please Please me by the Beatles on a GOLD lable ie the original pressing ,very rare , it's my nest egg for a rainy day. I did try to flog it once to a Beatles collector but he onlt offered me £60 (It's worth about two grand!!!!!!)

I have a copy of Please Please me by the Beatles on a GOLD lable ie the original pressing ,very rare , it's my nest egg for a rainy day. I did try to flog it once to a Beatles collector but he onlt offered me £60 (It's worth about two grand!!!!!!)

Hope its this one Beef http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beatles-LP-Please-Pl...4QQcmdZViewItem

WOOHOO looks like I'm richer than I thought

I'll shall get a photo of it to prove it (To myself more than anything)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the Bump Steve. Here as promised photos of my Beatles 'Nest Egg' although my cover notes are by someone called Tony Barrow, and not Dick James

Charlotte5010.jpg

The gold label (Original/first pressing)

Charlotte5011.jpg

Charlotte5012.jpg

Just a shame the sleve is in a tatty state!! The disk itself is perfect though

• 4 months later...

Beefsteak,

The cover notes on all pressings of Please Please Me are by Tony Barrow as he was The Beatles sleeve note writer, so your copy is correct. Dick James was the music publisher for The Beatles from after Love Me Do was released (he sang the theme for the TV series 'Robin Hood' starring Richard Green), he also had a partnership in Northern Songs which he helped set up with The Beatles and Brian Epstein.

Looking at the images that you've posted the record itself is far from being mint so wouldn't command a top price but might fetch a couple of hundred - you would probably have to replace the cover with a better one from the same period.

Beg pudding re it being mint ...I wasn't trying to sell it...but it plays perfect on my stereo...!! no scratches or owt !!!!!

• 8 months later...

Beefsteak

You've never told us how you came by your rare copy of 'Please, Please Me', was it a christening present!!!

By coincidence, I've got a copy of the same album, only it's French and in stereo, I bought it for a couple of quid on Chelmsford Market about 30 years ago, I haven't a clue how much it is worth, probably nowt. I also bought a copy of 'Never Mind the B#ll#cks' by the Sex Pistols from the same stall, it's an early edition and only played once, I never was into that punk stuff.

Are there any rare CD's or DVD's or VHS tapes that are worth anything these days.

I bought the Beatles Anthology boxed set on VHS the day it came out in 97, it's in perfect condition, complete with poster, hardly played because I bought the DVD version when it eventually came out. I seem to remember it cost about £125 at the time and is worth bu99er all now.

Have any of you bought the new Beatles all singing and dancing digitalised box set for £150+, is this being marketed as a collectors item. Quite frankly, I've got all the old re-mastered CD's and I presume unless you have an industrial quality sound system then it won't sound a lot different, just an excuse for more money into Yoko's coffers in an attempt to forget what a pain in the arse the evil talentless destructive bitch was.

My Aunty Pat was a massive Beatles fan before they were famous, and bought every record as soon as they were released,(Gold label) sadly she died very young (Late 60s , T.B. I think) and some how my dad got given the copies of "Please Please Me" and "With the Beatles" He didn't really want them and they were on there way out to a Cubs/Scouts/Guides/Brownies, Jumble Sale in the early 70's , I liberated them and just put them in with my albums of the time (Pinky and Perky , Rolf Harris and the like !!!) for them to resurface every now and then.

I tried to sell them to a lad at school who didn't pay me the quid I asked (For the pair) so I snitched to a head teacher and he begrudgingly returned them!!

• 3 years later...

The price of vinyl has plummeted in recent years, but rarities still command high prices.

I rented a stall and sold a lot my collection in the 90's and got a fair price for most of it.

However, when I tried to do the same a few years later it didn't do nearly so well.

Maybe we'll be regarding CD's as 'legacy' items soon.

• 2 years later...

Just been hearing on the news about the huge resurgence in vinyl. There is now an official vinyl chart for albums and singles, mainly new bands, but Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan among the biggest sellers. You just can't beat vinyl for sound quality.