The first record that I ever bought with my pocket money was 'My Sweet Lord' by George Harrison. I bought it from Rediffusion on Radford Road (up on the right from Gregory Boulevard). I think it cost 45p as we'd just gone decimal. Buying that record and seeing the label (Apple) set me off in search of other similar records on Apple. It wasn't long before I discovered SelectaDisc (new records), where I bought the previously mentioned 'Two Virgins', on Arkwright St, Eddy's (second hand - ex juke box) and Music Inn (new) both on Alfreton Rd and Alberta (second hand - ex juke box) on Radford Rd just oppposite from Rediffusion. I soon collected many 'Apple' records by Mary Hopkin, Badfinger, Beatles and Billy Preston which sold for 15p each - minus the centre of course being ex juke box. Happy days indeed!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HUH, I just asked Chris, What was the first single he bought. After a moments thought he said. Dave Berry...The Crying Game, he said he remembered, because a girl had just packed him in. We looked it

First single was Baby Face - Little Richard from a record shop on Radford Rd near Wilkinson St. This was followed by Dreamin' - Bobby Darin. From then on all my cash went on records by Everly Bros,

The last time I went down to see my Daughter they had already been on the web finding out how much some of them were worth, must admit I was astounded at some of the results they had come up with. If

Thats got me thinking.

I reckon the first records I bought were 'Hoots Mon' by Lord Rockinghams 11 and 'Tom Hark' by Elias and his Zig Zag Jive Flutes, if I remember right, I bought them off a record stall in Central Market that was against the wall at the top end against Glasshouse Street, I also think that they were available as 78's as well as 45's.

My uncle had a very interesting collection of 78's complete with a radiogram to play them on, steel needles and one speed. I grew up listening to his mainly American stuff and one day found an EP of 'Spike Jones and his City Slickers' on the stall at Central Market. I thought it was hilarious but my mates weren't impressed at all, looking back, I can see why.

Thats got me thinking.

I reckon the first records I bought were 'Hoots Mon' by Lord Rockinghams 11 and 'Tom Hark' by Elias and his Zig Zag Jive Flutes, if I remember right, I bought them off a record stall in Central Market that was against the wall at the top end against Glasshouse Street

I used to go with my parents to a stall in Central Market for records called Nequests - would this be the one that you visited?

Wouldn't you think a moderator would know how to use [youtube ] code?

Told you I don't know how to do it your way ,but mine and Franks way is a lot quicker!!

And correct me if I'm wrong but, as I'm just adding a line of text and not a picture link I think I am using less web space than in your method

(As in quotes!!!)

Little Children ... Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas 6/8d :-)

I'm glad you remember how much they were around then, singles seemed to be 6/8d for years, though it was probably a short span during our teenage frenzy years. Weren't albums 32/6d at the same time, bloody expensive if you think about it, considering I started off earning £5 a week.

On the scale of things at the time, one album was equivalent to 15 pints of Shippoes, whereas today a CD probably relates to about 4 pints of urine if you are lucky.

So what has changed for the good, the price of beer or music.

Can you remember the 'PYE Golden Guinea' series of albums, a cheap range costing 21 shillings, but some of them were pretty good, I've still got a couple, the Kinks and Donovan, it would be interesting to know the copyright policies behind that brand.

Then in the late 60's/ early70's they brought out the 'Samplers', albums with selected tracks from bands they were trying to promote, 'This is Soul' and 'Gutbucket' spring to mind, they were really cheap, less than a pound I reckon.

As mentioned, I recall the first singles I bought, and yes the name Nequests does ring a bell, but do not remember buying my first album, they were so expensive to a kid, it may well have been 'The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, bought cheaply without purchase tax in Jersey and smuggled in at the bottom of a suitcase, it was a bit bent but still played.

Good LP choice Lynmee.

My first record was Lonnie Donegan singing 'Jump Down turn Around Pick A Bale of Cotton'

Does anyone remember the 'Embassy label' from Woolies, covers of the days hits but by unheard of artistes.

Does anyone remember the 'Embassy label' from Woolies, covers of the days hits but by unheard of artistes.

Yes we had 'She Loves You' by the Typhoons on that label.

Along the lines of those "Embassy Label" recordings are those "Ronco , Top of the pops " albums , with pictures of scantily clad females on the front to attempt to lure folks in to buying them , only to discover that it was re-recorded by session musicians !!!

Incedentally there are a few of those "TOTP" recordings that are performed by a very young and as yet unheard of , Elton John!! (Bet they are worth a few bob now!!)

Other budget albums were "Marble Arch" and "Music for Pleasure" 14/6d

There was also an excellent stereo sampler series issued by EMI "Studio 2"

front_sml.jpg

01 - David Rose - The Stripper

02 - Norrie Paramor - Soul Coaxing

03 - Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore

04 - Pepe Jaramillo - Sucu Sucu

05 - Franck Pourcel - Love Is Blue

06 - Ron Goodwin - Legend Of The Glass Mountain

07 - Loe Loss - Wheels

08 - Norman Newell - Live For Life

09 - Basil Henriques - Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You

10 - Ralph Dollmore - The Fool On The Hill

11 - Manuel And The Music Of The Mountains - A Man And A Woman

12 - Jack Emblow - Ritual Fire Dance

Norrie Paramor - Soul Coaxing was the theme to something?

Perhaps used by the Pirate stations?...

A quick search gives me the answer to my own question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOi7okV3peI

I have that very album

But when did you last listen to it.

A breakthrough in stereophonic sound, nice one, when did it come out, late 50's or early 60's, I wonder how many people who bought it actually had decent equipment to play it on, I have a scratchy old single of 'Stranger on the Shore', I'd be fascinated to hear it in 'Breakthrough Sound'.

Can anyone recall the release of 'Quadrophonic Sound' on to a gulliable public, did anyone actually buy the gear to play it on.

I remember a shop on Parliament Street, just past the Co-op on the left hand side, early Dixons?

They had a quadrophonic promo going and were set up in the shop and playing Lennons 'Imagine' album, not one of my favourites because of it's sad, unneccesary digs at Paul, prompted by that Japanese bitch and Allen Klein, but thats another story, and it sounded great and thats all that mattered at the time.

Did anyone actually buy quadrophonic equipment and the vinyls that went with it for a short period, has anyone got any of these, I seem to remember that the albums had particularly wide tracks, I never understood how it worked, has anyone got any experience of the system.

Incidentally, it was 20 years ago tomorrow that Roy Orbison died, not very prominent in my record collection, but nevertheless a rock legend who should be remembered with the respect he deserves.

He had a lot to do with the emergence of the Beatles, he helped them out on one of their early tours, and finished his career with George Harrison in the 'Travelling Wilbury's', good on you mate, you did a lot for the promotion of decent music, lets not forget him.

I hope that tributes are paid to him on the radio tomorrow, he deserves it.

But when did you last listen to it.

That I couldnt tell you.....I just found it out ....the Date on it is 1968

I have a second album on the 'Studio2stereo' label called 'Ultimate Stereo Presentation' which is from 1969....Theres a big sticker on the front saying....14/5 Recommended Retail Price.

If someone can explain to me how to put images on here i'll take some photos and post them.

Fynger search forums for... PHOTOBUCKET

Didnt quadrophonic have two formats, not unlike the VHS Betamax scenario?

Forerunner of the Surround sound of today?

And very good it was too, regardless of what anybody says, if you were to 'wire up' two separate sets of speakers and make a primative 'surround sound' it sounded awsome . We called it "The best barbituate going "

(I bought a copy , long gone now unfortunately, it's probably worth a fortune.!!)

Did any of you go any of the Pink Floyd gigs following the release of Meddle? I was lucky enough to go, they were the first ever gigs performed with quad sound; Be Careful With That Axe, Eugene was awesome.