Just When You Thought Winter..

Incidentally, there was over an inch of ice on everything, that would have added about 10cwts to that tree limb sitting on the ground!!!!! There were trees bent completely over the drive we had to cut off to get up the drive with a car!!

A span between poles on the power lines would have a couple of hundred pounds of ice on them, they were sagging three to four feet in the middle of a span!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Margie, just the Scots !

Seeyoufu@kingpric*thatyouarecatfanf*c*ingsassanacckyoullgetafu*8ingglasgeekiss..................lol.

Jan2009icestorm09.jpg

This is what we were confronted with up the driveway!

We are being protected (In Cheshire) by the Pennines , this snow we are having is coming from Scandanavia. We normally get the bad weather from the Atlantic.

We always used to say that you get away with murder (Weather wise ) in the Trent valley , with the protection that the Pennines offer and the warmth, cough, cough, of the river. If we had an inch of snow in Nott'm you could gaurantee that there was a foot in Mansfield

I may have recounted the following else where, if I have I apologise.

I was working for Business post and the whole of the North of Nott'm was my area, I used to have to drive like a mad B*****d all day to get my deliveries done and then go back over the whole area to do my collections , finishing off in Kirkby for my final collection. Then it was a drive back to our Cotgrave base to unload in time for the trunker to the Hub in Leicester.

At about 2.00pm it started to snow really heavy in Mansfield and I radioed base to tell them I may have problems making my pickups , the boss wasn't best pleased as he thought I was 'Swinging the lead', because they had just had a few flakes down there (Less than 18 miles away) He insisted I made the collection from Kirkby as they were a new and therefore important customer (As if all customers aren't important!!) So off I try , every route possible is like a ski run or completely blocked, I tried at least 5 diiferent ways before I finally took my life in my hands and cut across the A60 as fast as possible just north of Ravenshead. (If I had stopped I wouldn't have got across ,the camber of the road and the ice making even the slightest hill start impossible)

I finally arrived in Kirkby at 5.20 (Over 3 hours for a 5 mile drive !!!) to find that my boss had rang them to tell them I wouldn't be able to make it that day, and then forgot to tell me. !!!

Not a happy bunny when I got back to Cotgrave I can tell you, but I could understand his not beleiving me because as I passed Newstead Abbey (About a mile south of where I had taken my life in my hands to get across the A 60) the roads were bloody clear .

Fortunately my boss had obviously rang the customer in Kirkby and had been informed as to the weather conditions in the area, and was very appologetic when I finally got back!!

I finally arrived in Kirkby at 5.20 (Over 3 hours for a 5 mile drive !!!) to find that my boss had rang them to tell them I wouldn't be able to make it that day, and then forgot to tell me. !!!

Aint that always the way

I had a 'Late one' last night , as I was watching "Superbowl" (Don't ask me why!!) it was still clear when i turned in (3.20 am ish) I have got up to about 1/2 inch settled and there is a little more still coming down now .

How is it over there ?? Especially cabbage county Rog??

Hi Ian, plenty of snow about at the moment with a lot more to come, It's coming down by the bucket load as I write this, good job my truck has four wheel drive, although it were a struggle with that in places. coming down from the A15 to Scopwick and Kirkby green there was between 4 and 6 inches of the stuff, I'll try to get some pics when it eases off a bit

Cheers

Rog

Lots of snow here.

There seemed to be a line that you crossed going north on the A60, once you passed burnt stump hill, the snow became much thicker?

This is as bad as it has got here

My new car gets a rude awakening

moresnow2009001.jpg

The back garden

moresnow2009004.jpg

And the kids play area

moresnow2009003.jpg

There seemed to be a line that you crossed going north on the A60, once you passed burnt stump hill, the snow became much thicker?

I've been driving that road from Nottingham for over 40 years, and many times I have noticed the snow seems deeper on passing Newstead Abbey gates.Sometimes after struggling through deep snow in Mansfield I've arrived at Redhill to see just a mere sprinkle.Not just once but several times...dunno why?

As I said' it's all to do with the 'heat' from the Trent, don't quite understand how, but it is!!

I was told that the power stations along the Trent forms a micro climate in thetrent valley. With the closure of so many coal fired stations I would have thought the micro climate would have subsided.

And todays weather is coming from the east.

Perhaps the coal beneath Notts is still burning????

Re snow after Newstead Abbey etc , just a thought but I wonder if high ground has some bearing on it? say such as when I worked on St Ann,s for 20 odd years most days went home to basford for dinner via over mapperley top, winchester st etc in winter snow, frost etc would be gone in st ann's by dinner but as I went up uphill still there. then as I dropped down to sherwood etc the opposite effect, not much change in altitude but totally different weather system

Whe I worked as an apprentice electrician for the Coop many years ago, I was looking out across the Trent Valley from the roof of the Coop at Mapperly top. My mate said that the next highes poit from there was Siberia in Russia?

True or not, I dont Know?

If you stand on Dorket head (highest point in Nott'm) and look due east the next higher point is in the Russian Steppes, so i was told too

You'd have to have good eye sight to see Lincoln from there Den , as the horizon (At sea level ) is only 14/16 miles away. Lincoln to Kirkby is 31 miles. Even allowing for the hight differential I doubt it would be possible(You can see Belvoir Castle from Dorket head though)

P.S. Any body know where Herods hill is ?? The Guiness book of records states that that is the highest point in Nott's . I am going back a few years but I recall it saying "South Side Of Herods Hill"