I appreciate that not everyone gets enthusiastic about seeing aircraft in their element, unlike myself, Beefsteak and Plantfitt, but doesn't the sight and sound of a Spitfire somehow stir the spirit of everyone for some reason or another, doesn't it hold people in awe at the sight of it, is it not probably the only aircraft that most people can identify and admire as it flies over.

I'm saying this because a Spitfire has just flown very low and slow over my back garden, it's interesting how my neighbours ran out of their houses at that unmistakeable sound and gazed upwards with a smile, that even the hoodies walking down the street looked heavenward and smirked in guarded appreciation, why is this, after all it's just an old aircraft, and a killer to boot, how come people seem to know of it, and love it so much.

Incidentally, for the keen types, it was wearing 1940 grey/black underwing camo, I suspect it was the BBMF Mk2, for the unitiated, the only flying Spitfire that took part in the Battle of Britain, the first battle won to save civilisation, whatever that means in the current scheme of things, what an example of our heritage, it deserves our respect, myself, I'm honoured to have seen it on this mundane afternoon, it lifts the spirits as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Equality Act 2010 Ben !   Steady on a bit youth, women will want the vote next !

The last surviving female spitfire pilot Mary Ellis dies at 101, I doff my cap R.I.P.    Well worth a read.   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5993993/Last-Spitfire-girls-Ma

Those were very brave women,  many of them on the receiving end of abuse from their male counterparts. There was a fascinating tv programme made about them some years ago but there are now very few le

I love 'em! If I ever get rich enough, I would buy one - or at least a ride in one! Although the spit is the most spectacular, the engine sound is well recreated by the Mustang - and we get them flying over us regularly in the summer. However, for sheer Merlin joy there is nothing like the sound of four of them on a Lanc - and we live close enough to Hamilton, Ontario to see that flying from time-to-time! SPECTACULAR!

Off to see a couple next week, !!

Funny thing ,last night there was nowt on the telly (In my opinion) and so I settled down with a bottle of Red and watched "The Battle of Britain" again .

I'm nearly word perfect now Rog !!!

Don't you yell at me mister Warwick!!!!

They made the bloody mess let them clear it up, "what about the officers?" give them a bloody shovel!!!

The thing is, we're playing for time, and it's running out.!!

As the last little corporal discovered

workplaceairshow010409.jpg

Here you go then firbeck, outside my office this afternoon for about 20 minutes, It's from the BBMF which is about 1 1/2 miles away, it's a rough job but someone has to do it

Rog

"If we lose now we deserve to have our arses kicked out"

"Jawhol herr Major, give me a squadron of SPITFIRES"

"Good afternoon my arse, get your hands up"

" Large scotch please"

"One and six"

"You with that lot down the road sir?"

'Spring chicken to shitehawk in one easy lesson:-

Dagger,Dagger,Dagger,Dagger.....................................................

My missus was in a management meeting when the Spitfire flew over her office yesterday, getting up and walking to the window she said, 'Wow that sounds like a Spitfire, I expect Pete will tell me which bloody one'. She said that they just gave her a blank look, she was very surprised and thought they were a little bit sad, particularly as one of them is a major in the TA.

Incidentally, I suspect it may well have been the newly restored privately owned Mk1a flying up to DX from Booker for a bit of tweaking, I'm sure I'll get to know.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you were expecting this, Duxford Spring Airshow about 12 years ago:-

dx1.jpg

dx2.jpg

Yes, this is our Caroline, the worlds only female Spitfire pilot.

dx3.jpg

dx4.jpg

dx5.jpg

dx6.jpg

dx7.jpg

Duxford, home of the Spitfire, this is at Flying Legends during the same year:-

dx8.jpg

How many of you have seen this number in the air at once:-

dx9.jpg

Lets chuck in half a dozen P-51's to join in the fray:-

dx10.jpg

Just a little bit of aerial jousting:-

dx11.jpg

It'd be lucky to find one with a cockpit big enough for me to get in !!

On a slightly different note, I had a mate who was as big as you Beefy who was a Mirage pilot in the RAAF.

Qantas was stealing all the RAAF pilots it could get their hands on,so they could not let him go. He was pretty good I heard.

I`m sure I have read that there were some pretty big pilots in the war. Keith Miller was well over 6 feet.

I'm talking about my @r53 !!!

Although at my fighting weight I did get in the rear seat of a Tornado and a Harrier.

I'm talking about my @r53 !!!

Although at my fighting weight I did get in the rear seat of a Tornado and a Harrier.

It could have been interesting if you'd had to eject!! Beefsteak leaves plane or would plane have left Beefsteak!!

I always thought that the smallest cockpit was in a Bf-109, all those Luftwaffe fighter aces must have been pretty short otherwise their heads would have been pressed against the glass.

bf1.jpg

Yes, I know it's a Buchon, same cockpit though.

• 6 years later...

6 Spitfires left Duxford this morning for Humberside Airport to take part in the planned 7 Spitfire flypast around the country, due to the terrible weather today, it may not happen. As I write this, living only 30 odd miles south of Duxford, we're suffering heavy rain and severe thunderstorms, even my dogs don't want to go out. What's it like up there.

Nothing yet, cloudy and dry.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Spitfire