Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

• 1 month later...

I saw Long John Baldry at the Dancing Slipper on Bread & Lard Island once. He was in the crowd, towering obove it in fact, watching a jazz band. The girls were all over him. Little did they know his interests lay elsewhere.

Didnt start going to the Slipper till 1968.

Then Mad Mike Burdett was the DJ.

As stated elswhere here that was

the times of 'Sons and Lovers'

'6 Across' and other groups playing live there

I was DJ there early 70's together with

Dick and Barry.

I can remember many an evening spent in the Belvedere and latterly the Lantern lodge. (I can't remember stopping drinking in there at 10.30pm though!) As memory is now fading was Marylin the blonde who was behind the bar a lot of the time or was that someone else?

Was the Belvedere in the Lace Market? There was a club there with a jazz band that stopped serving drinks at about 10.30pm. We would round off an evening there after that time with a bowl of mushy peas before getting taxis home.

Albert Whitehead ran it,Marilyn was his girl friend.Free entrance packed it out after the pubs shut.Licence was 10.30 but they served lager and cider after hours...well Carlsberg 2% rubbish and apple crush,but the ****heads didn't know the difference after a night in the pubs.Bowls of peas and curry flew out.Through the air too sometimes.Best toilets in Nottingham if you were wearing wellies.

I remember the Belvedere, Jazz combos and mushy peas, had to queue to get in at weekends, sometimes had a game of poker later on.

Albert Whitehead also ran the Lantern Lodge in the early 60's, later on Brummy ran the place (into the ground eventually)

There were not enough after-hours venues to cope with the demand in those days.

Someone mentioned The Boat earlier. We had some great nights in there. The best band and the most frequent was Blues and Roots - lads from Northern Insurance. They deserved the big time. I also remember standing still for ages watching and listening to Tim Rose (may have been at the Brit). I was into the usual stuff at the time - Stones, Rod Stewart and such - but The Boat was my introduction to real blues and that flourished some years later.

A girl grabbed me in the Brit one night. I'd had a few bevvies and when she wanted a snog on the chairs at the side I had to focus on the lights to stop my head spinning as she tried to swallow my face. I asked her if she wanted a lift home. She said she lived way out in the county and asked what I drove. 'A two seater', I replied. We agreed outside that the bus station was far enough for a p1ssed scooter rider.

The Belvedere discussed here before somewhere? was up the side of the Winmill pub, and upstairs.

In those days I would not have known that a curry contained more than peas!

A bit out of the way but the Grey Topper at Jacksdale was a good club for bands early seventies.

That's a fact, saw Screaming Lord Sutch, Crazy World of Arthur Brown etc there, a nice run out on the bike as well.

Anyone remember the Squinting Cat on the way to Mansfield? We went once, me dashing in my pin striped double breasted suit with slight flairs and Chelsea boots. The band was passable and so was the beer. There were four of us and four likely ladies came to chat to us. My mate spotted four boyfriends of the said ladies winding up for a punch up so we left, never to return.

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember the Squinting Cat on the way to Mansfield? We went once, me dashing in my pin striped double breasted suit with slight flairs and Chelsea boots. The band was passable and so was the beer. There were four of us and four likely ladies came to chat to us. My mate spotted four boyfriends of the said ladies winding up for a punch up so we left, never to return.

The Squinting Cat was at Clipstone. One other cat I can remember is the Cat's Cradle at Retford which had regular stag nights. Saw the legend that was Amber Vandella there!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I Remember all of the clubs previously mentioned,

Also the all nighters at the Beachcomber, usually Geno & the Ram Jam band, or Georgie Fame, Jimmy Hendrix was on once can't remember the year though,

What was that fella's name that used to walk round the pubs giving out free entry tickets for mid week nights to the Hippo, Ad Lib & i think Pigalle, always smartly dressed, always seemed to call into the Flying Horse,

Anyone remember the name of Long John Baldry's backing group ?

What was that fella's name that used to walk round the pubs giving out free entry tickets for mid week nights to the Hippo, Ad Lib & i think Pigalle, always smartly dressed, always seemed to call into the Flying Horse,

His name was Basil and he is mention in these forums somewhere?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s