poohbear    1,274

Came across this picture today...reminded me of driving down Drury Hill in a 10cwt van years ago when I nearly did the same thing. :rolleyes:

CcAccidents.jpgdrury_hill.jpg

plantfit    2,584

Ayup Poohbear,

Thanks for that memory, I think the last shop you can see on the left was an antique shop, I always remember seeing this old clear glass bottle with some sort of liquid in it and a red wood Indian totem pole or wooden carving in the liquid that turned it red in the window, this would be in the early 60s, The last time I was in Nottingham earlier this year I saw this "thing" again in another antique shop but can't remember where, funny how visual stimulants bring back some strange memories

Rog

Bip    90

I can't beleive anyone would think or try to get a motor down there....

Bip.

pemberton    12

Looks a fairly modern car to me, possibly too modern to fit with the Drury Hill theory, I thought Drury Hill was knocked down 20+ years ago!

Beefsteak    258

I don't think poohbear was insinuating that it was Drury Hill ,it just reminded him of it!!

• Upvote 1

poohbear    1,274
I can't beleive anyone would think or try to get a motor down there....

Bip.

My last delivery each week was a shop near the Towers pub...I used to nip down Drury Hill in a Moggie Thousand regularly.That day I was in a J2 van and forgot how tight the road was until I got to the bend. :blush:

That other picture's just one off the Web...no idea where.

Paul.

pemberton    12

Thanks for that - it's me having a senior moment!!!!!

meadows gal    1

Has anyone got any pics of it, i remember the pie shop on there where it would be a treat on a Saturday to go for our pie and mash. The old cobbled pavements with an up hill climb and u were breathless till u reached the top. We got off the bus at the "fountain" near woolworths ours was the number 40 from meadows and we hopped into wollies and got anything for 6pence. Drury Lane was my favourite spot in Nottm they dont get any better than that nostalgic memories

• Upvote 1

poohbear    1,274

Bloody council have a lot to answer for the sixties and seventies planning cock ups.

firbeck    844

A good memory there Ashley, I'd forgotten about the post office on the corner. It was always a regular stop over on the old mans weekly and very regimented shopping trip round the city on a saturday. I remember the inside of it being all ornately timber panelled with a green lino floor, immaculately clean and always smelling strongly of polish, no stupid queuing system with the Stephen Hawkin computerised voice telling you where to go, 'Position four please', my arse.

If it was full, I would get all twitchy because the next visit on the list was to go down Drury Hill and spend 20 minutes or so watching the trains go in and out of Weekday Cross Tunnel.

Can anyone remember the old boy with a small dog that used to sit outside his little terraced house on an old kitchen chair at the bottom of Drury Hill.

Something I've remembered while replying to this. In a shop window down Drury Hill, there was a bottle containing an odd shaped pickled wooden artifact. It was one of those cases of, how did this thing get into the bottle. From memory it was a strange sort of cork screw device that completely filled the bottle. It was always a source of wonder to us, but somehow, the shape was very sinister, inexplicable, but I think when I was very young, such a thing was made of it that I used to get quite frightened of it. Can anyone else remember this and know what happened to it, was it bulldozed or hoicked off as a planners back hander soon to appear on E-bay as part of their pension scheme.

Ashley    271

no date on pics but enlarging the post office one (to try to see parking notice details) shows lady in pic has (I think?) seamed stockings on so reckon 1959ish? then again wife had similar not long ago!

plantfit    2,584

Bl@@dy hell Pete, I can remember that thing, it looked like a miniature totem pole in some sort of liquid as you say, if you walked up Drury hill the shop was on the left, the bottle was in a side window to the right of the door, must have been an antique shop, funnily enough I have seen it since Drury hill was pulled down but can't for the life of me remember where, it was in another antique shop though that I'm sure of and it was in Nottingham maybe up Derby road in one of those shops on the right as you are going up, funny how things come to the front of your mind by just the smallest of memory jog's

Rog

firbeck    844

A good description Rog, a totem pole. My dad was always sending me newspaper cuttings from the NEP and I remember an article about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in his scrapbook, I'll look out for it, surely someone else has a memory of this odd thing.

firbeck    844

There you go, a job for our new admin lady, can you change the title of this thread to Drury HILL.

These are some pics from the book I had for Xmas, I see it as a good advert for Douglas Whitworth, the author, he has other titles about Nottingham and if they're as good as this, we should all buy copies.

First of all, Drury Hill as I remember it, without the strange smell of polish, I reckon the wierd thing in the bottle was in the antique shop visible at the top of the picture:

scan0001-4.jpg

The next picture looks to have been taken when the residents were forced to move out prior to it's destruction for the eyesore called the Broad Marsh Centre, had they any sense of history:

scan0002-3.jpg

Finally the sad and uncalled for demolition, I hope the so called City architects responsible for this can sleep at night, though I'm sure they dont give a toss about what they're responsible for:

scan0003-4.jpg

Looking at the pictures in this book at what has been lost, in recent times as well, it makes you despair about the planning system and the morons who call themselves architects, perhaps I should have taken that job offered to me by the council and stayed up there, or would I have been brainwashed to become one of them, unlikely, my attitude over an opening of one of my designs by Mrs Thatcher didn't make me very popular with the powers that be.

• Upvote 1

plantfit    2,584

Nice one Pete, Just as I remember Drury Hill, I see in one of the pictures the much discussed Beecroft toy shop and the doorway to the hosiery manufacturers, (had some goodnight snogs in there I can tell you) I must buy these books as you suggest next time I'm in Nottingham

Rog

firbeck    844

Wasn't that a Beecrofts outshop, the main place being down Hockley.

Fynger    834

Great pics of what was once one of the lovely tiny streets that Notts used to have

• Upvote 1

katyjay    3,301

I have 2 books by Douglas Whitworth, Nottingham a Century of Change, and Nottinghamshire Memories, both excellent books. Also have Viewing The Lifeless Body by Bernard Heathcote, about a coroner's inquests held in Notts public houses during the 19th century. Memories of Nottingham, More Memories of Nottingham, and Nottingham At War. All except the inquest book, are pictorial and can be bought at the tourist info shop next to the Council House. I'm sure Nottingham books shops have them also.

Ashley    271

Not so lovely in latter years, but that's Nottingham Council for you, seems they had a "anything old get rid of it" policy, and deliberatly ran places down? there were some right slums in alot of places in Nottm but instead of sorting the blackspots out they seemed to flatten whole area's, and replace them with more slums? Basford and Hyson Green flats are obvious examples, I remember some lovely well maintained, "doorstep polished daily" houses in both area's yet all were destroyed, same with st annes, meadows etc? (apologies to anyone now keeping a nice house in those 2 areas, but you know what I mean) Below is an example, in the distance lovely well kept houses, were the same years after this photo was taken, flattened in the name of progress. 2098455553_6ee21e0052.jpg

Froggy    3

It's sad to see what happened to Drury Hill. It was a drab and run down street in the'60's but what character and potential! Much of Nottingham's past was wantonly destroyed in the '60's and replaced by the posy shite of the day. St. Annes had character and look what they did to that! The Almshouses opposite Castle Rock were wonderful little places. A college was built there, I think.

poohbear    1,274

That street could have been pedestrianised and the shops filled with 'Oldie Worldy' trades.It could have been a tourist attraction to include the caves underneath.But no....It's right on the edge of the Mall and architects could have made allowances to let it remain.....Criminal.

NTGM000831.jpg

Froggy    3

Regarding caves, they went under the two Regency town houses around the corner to the left at the top in Low Pavement. Under one house was a circular cave with a carved central pillar and carved seating around the wall. I recall either second a door or gate opposite the entrance door. We were told that it was a wine cellar. Perhaps, but it could have used used for much more fun than that.

Cliff Ton    5,492

I've seen that picture before and it's a great one - sums the place up really well. What always fascinated me is the upstairs window in the building on the left....there's someone looking out from behind bars!! It wasn't a prison, and I wouldn't think you'd need bars for security up there. Locking up the mad relative in the spare room?

Froggy    3

I've seen that picture before and it's a great one - sums the place up really well. What always fascinated me is the upstairs window in the building on the left....there's someone looking out from behind bars!! It wasn't a prison, and I wouldn't think you'd need bars for security up there. Locking up the mad relative in the spare room?

Broad Marsh and Drury Hill were dodgy places before the land behind the camera was cleared. A butcher down there slaughtered pigs in his back yard. Coppers would go down the Hill only in pairs.

I remember only a few shops showing signs of even half life. There was a secondhand book shop, a chromium plate works that stank and Bruce's Pigole.