So, who DID have a house with an outside toilet.

outside bogs far healthier though, nowadays they actually have them in bedrooms? no wonder people get ill, lol, actually never lived in a house with an o/s bog,

En suite - The rich person's version of bucket-in-the bedroom.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And just to add to everyone's tales of outside toilets !!  We lived in a regular terrace house from mid 1960's that had at one time like all others have an outside toilet just at the end of the kitche

What a lovely name "Cesspit Sid" just love it (bet he used to come over just to take the pi$$)   Rog

You are the poshest person I know @LizzieM we didn't have any kind of toilet until I was 14 when I had my first tom tit 

I might just use that on SWMBO whilst we're house hunting and she wants an en suite !!

rotfl.gif

Our house in Thurgarton had an outside bog as well as the normal upstairs bathroom; more for the old man's "convenience" than anything else since if he wasn't at work he was in his garden. Could do with one meself at my house because the bathroom here's a helluva walk from me workshop!

My grandmother lived in a terraced house in School Street, Loughborough, and it had an outside bog and no bathroom as long as she lived there, right up till 1978 when she had a stroke and came to live with me mam and dad. Thing I most remember is the smell of the paraffin heater she used to have in there in winter to stop it freezing up.

I might just use that on SWMBO whilst we're house hunting and she wants an en suite !!

rotfl.gif

The problem with sharing the bucket-in-the bedroom that if you can't be bothered to pick it up - wet carpet & bare feet !!

Plus five pints of pi55 & a wet handle was deadly , having just one bath a week you did get quite whiffy!

Can any remember as a kid being bathed in the kitchen sink ?

I was born in Gotham, the cottage didn't even have running water. The cottages were in a square and had to use a communal tap. Cant remember bath time that well but the old galvanized tub was still knocking about 25 years later.

Bathing in the sink , now there's a memory !! Having your hair washed with "Squeezy" too!!! and the big bar of 'Fairy soap' with the little picture of a baby walking and flashing his bum!!

Our outside toilet in the council house wasn't down a yard, but it might as well have been, it was bloody freezing in winter. The parafin heater mentioned previously was in ours too. The toilet was accessed from the back porch across from the kitchen door. Because it was a hike from the bedrooms, we all had a jerry, or po under the beds. I was scared witless by any insect as a kid so the toilet had to be inspected before I went in, or I'd scream bloody murder if I spotted something. I don't ever remember toilet paper, it was always squares of newspaper hanging on a nail.

Even with our 'posh' inside lavvy we didn't always have loo roll. With my mother being a great "Seemstress" there was always a few squares of old sewing patterns hanging up in ours !!

Not to mention the aforementioned Izal!

I still think it is funny that large institutions would have Izal with their logo printed on every sheet - certainly the NCB did. I wish I had the foresight to have collected them!

Bathing in the sink , now there's a memory !!

A painfull one too. I recall being sent to bed early for some misdemeanour, the old man was in the bath and I was dumped unceremoniously in the sink, or rather bum on draining board and feet in sink. At this precise moment, one of my pals, who happened to be Fiona M, knocked for me to come out to play, I don't know which of us was the most embarresed, fortunately, she can't remember the incident.

I remember bum on the draining board, feet in the sink. It was a ridged wooden draining board, must have striped me bum!

If you were lucky it was Pears, reddish but clear, eliptical in shape, hopeless to use until it had worn down considerably. They had this red stuff in schools, it stank, I'm sure it had iron filings in it as well.

I used to like the "coal tar" stuff - but mum typically didn't buy it. It wasn't black though - I seem to remember it was dull orange. There was a black one, but I can't remember what it was called.

The "standard" in our house was Cussons Imperial Leather! - I knew my mum was a snob!

I remember one time my mam had the brainwave of papering the toilet with adverts. She cut the coloured ads out of magazines and they were pasted all over the walls at all kinds of angles. We at least had something to read while we sat there!

I always take a book in with me !! always have , and I don't half cop it from SWMBO when I leave 'em in there !! Yuou go in our bathroom sometimes and it's like a lending libary!!!!

Didn't seem to do the old bat any harm...must have been the Linalool and the Parfum.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=pears+soap&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=65434

BY APPOINTMENT TO LATE HM QUEEN ELIZABETH THE QUEEN MOTHER, A & F PEARS LIMITED, SOAP MANUFACTURERS LONDON. Hypoallergenic. Non-Comedogenic. Pears Soap is a natural way to attain clean, healthy looking skin. It contains high quality skincare ingredients like glycerin and natural oils. Pears Soap is especially made to take care of even sensitive and delicate skin, cleansing thoroughly, yet gently and rinsing clean. It is hypo-allergenic, contains a mild cleansing formula and no colourants. It is non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores. Each bar is mellowed and aged for three months until it reaches a pure transparency. This special aging process has been followed for nearly 200 years! Pears. Natural. Original.

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate , Sodium Peanutate , Rosin , Sodium Stearate , Glycerin , Sodium Cocoate , Aqua , Alcohol Denat , Parfum , Benzyl Benzoate , Eugenol , Cinnamal , Limonene , Linalool , Tetrasodium EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate .

Cheers

Robt P.