Running Horse, Alfreton Road

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you enjoyed The Runner Barry Middleton has passed away sad loss http://bluesmaninhat.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/why-people-like-barry-middleton-are-so.html?spref=fb

I would'nt know Ian,.........unless he was the big 'Transvestite' sliding up and down the 'Pole'. that night.

• 6 months later...

I wish I had a quid for every time I played at the 'Runner'I heard that it was refurbed and now open as a foody kind of pub. The Central Tavern seem to be making a play to fill the vacuum left from the demise of the Running Horse but not exclusively Live Music. For those devotees of R&B (proper) the now legendary Colin Staples jam sessions are performed at the Royal Children on Maid Marion Way on Wednesday nights.

The Central Tavern seem to be making a play to fill the vacuum left from the demise of the Running Horse but not exclusively Live Music.

The central music venue and bar closed 21st February 2011 !

"The Central Music Venue today released a statement announcing it was surrendering it’s deal with Enterprise Inn’s and closing it’s doors. The venue which opened in 2009 following the closure of the Running Horse has been hit by problems of late and now becomes the latest venue to fall amidst tough times for the pub industry."

Talking of pub closures, ( again it's probably been closed for some time ) but I passed the Windsor Castle pub at the bottom of Carlton Hill (Netherfield end) and saw it boarded up, I was in a band and the singer was the son of the landlord when it was the old Windsor Castle. In the grand scale of things the pub is relatively new.

Do you think that future generations of kids will be taught in social history lessons what Public Houses were and what went off in them. Tis a sobering thought.

Talking of pub closures, ( again it's probably been closed for some time ) but I passed the Windsor Castle pub at the bottom of Carlton Hill (Netherfield end) and saw it boarded up, I was in a band and the singer was the son of the landlord when it was the old Windsor Castle. In the grand scale of things the pub is relatively new.

Sadly it closed before Christmas (IMMSC). 22 years old (Believe it or not) and the landlords son , Dick Hill ?? of "The sounds of the Blues Brothers" fame. (I was his first 'mate' when he moved to Carlton in around 1970!!)

I was his first 'mate' when he moved to Carlton in around 1970

Wow Beef you've kept that quite you where a captain in the merchant navy ? :rolleyes:

What does IMMSC stand for all i can find is International Maritime MetOcean Services Conference ?

After the contractors, who were building the new Tescos, by complete and utter, utter fluke, damaged beyond repair the footings of the previous Windsor Castle which was a grade two listed building at the time !! They were ordered to rebuild a pub on a 25 year lease,

Kimberly (Who were the owners) went the way of the Greene King (Purile Pi$$) and with a bit of funny handshaking it was sold to Tescos themselves, who promptly closed it , but then had to reopen as the 25 year lease still hadn't run out, it finally got closed due to lack of business, I did hear say this is down to Tescos and their car parking enforcement (I'll have to check up on that) But they still can't knock it down as the lease still hasn't run it's course.

I may be wrong but I think there was only one killed. His name was Jason Denham , the son of the landlord of The Blacks Head a little further down the road.

Not long after Tescos opened there was a large fire in the store room.

AFAIK it was started by a staff member on nights?

Had he been on GK all night? off topic but recall a security guard starting a fire at factory on Perry Road just across from the nick, was one saturday afternoon and later in court he said he'd been bored!, terrific blaze, they had to demolish it, prob mid 80's?

Not long after Tescos opened there was a large fire in the store room.

AFAIK it was started by a staff member on nights?

That's correct , and as nobody would confess (Or grass up the perpertrator) they all got sacked !!! (And this was in the days of unions having a bit of power!!) . They tried to blame it on the 'ghost' , seeing as how it was partially built on the old,old Carlton cemetary. It was exorsized by Rev Harrison from St Pauls .

For some reason I remember going past the fire in a taxi!

What time and year would that be Ian?

I wondered where I was going?

Not 100% but I think it was in October/November of either 1989 or 1990 . I was out of the country at both of these times, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't around when it happened (Thash my excush an ariby osifer and I'm shtickin we yit)

• 1 year later...

I was reading the post from vornvorn (#5) and saw Colin Staples mentioned. I saw 'The Colin Staples Blues Band' many times a few years ago and wondered if he was still playing. I went to the Running Horse a couple of times and the bands played in a small room to the right as you entered the pub. I remember there being a small raised stage for the band and a great atmosphere but a bit cramped as the room was so small.

Colin Staples still plays, exactly the same thing in exactly the same way as he has for the last 30 years. And he still looks the same. Ageless and timeless.

I remember the Running Horse when the band played on the right as you went in, but it wasn't a small room - that was the bar! Yes it was ridiculously small, and there was no "stage" because they just stood on the floor. Great if you liked being in a crowded, noisy room, but not so good if you wanted to do things like breathe and move. There was another room at a lower level towards the back of the building, but no-one ever seemed to go in there.

A few years ago the Runner went under new management and the interior was redesigned. The interior layout was much better, but I only went in the place a couple of times. It often didn't seem to be open when you'd expect it to be, and there were never many people in.

I'm not sure of its current status.

The Running Horse I'm remembering is from the late 60's and early 70's, Cliff Ton, whereas you may be remembering a later time. As you walked into the room, or should I say squeezed your way into the room, the bar was on the left and the musicians would be facing you by the far wall. Colin Staples has been playing a lot longer than 30 years, it's more like 40-45 years and he's always been a popular bluesman around Nottingham.