Coronation Street

Time these soaps were all taken off, they have got worse and worse over the years........so depressing.....

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't Coronation Street due another disaster? Couldn't a 747 crash on it And meanwhile Emmerdale Gets wiped out in a flash flood We can all live in hope

When I was young and single in the 1960's I used to hang around the Playhouse Bar with the incrowd on a Sturday night.....................Sometimes when the plays finished we were allowed into the Gre

I quite enjoyed Corrie in the early sixties (black and white, grainy 405 lines and no remote). It used to remind me of the terraced houses with back yards and outside toilets where I lived in Forest F

I have not watched soaps for many years. The episodes are too short and the story lines are too often based around gossip and conflict. A good detective story has more to hold the attention and focus the mind. I agree with Blondie in #76 and if soaps were taken off there would be more time for programmes like The Bridge, Shetland, Trapped and Dickensian.

I see you're an Nordic Noir fan Shirley. I liked The Killing and The Bridge. I've only seen the first episode of Trapped so far but I'm hooked...

• 4 weeks later...

Tracey's bin slapped............oh dear i see alot of bother coming...........well i would if i watched it.................

The USP of Corrie was that it reflected the gritty lives of working class folk in the years not long after rationing had ended. Hardly anyone had a car, married women didn't work and after a hard day's work, the blokes would go down the pub on the corner and the street was of course cobbled.

Over the years they've tried to keep it 'fresh', including stories about illegal drugs, alcoholism, various illnesses including cancer, same-sex relationships, ethnic diversity, etc. without acknowledging the glaring anachronisms. By now, the road would have tarmac, the pub would have been long-gone, there would be cars lining all the streets (presumably with resident parking permits) and any resident not on benefits would commute somewhere to work. Don't the writers know that you can't just turn up somewhere and secure a job as bar staff, hairdresser, mechanic, machinist, etc. without proper training/qualification? There should be loads more kids and most of the characters would need to put on a few stones. We'd then be getting closer to a soap that reflects the gritty lives of working class folk today.

The writing is sloppy with recurring themes common to all soaps like getting the wrong end of the stick and persistent interruption when Character A is trying to tell Character B something important. Then there's the perennial unwanted pregnancy with doubt as to the father not to mention the weddings from hell and the occasional major disaster. It's like a merry-go-round.

I only watch it to try to spot the product placement but it's really hard. Most times I don't see anything - must be subliminal.

• Upvote 2

I think all soaps are a load of old tosh, unfortunately SWMBO likes them so they're often burbling away in the background. I forget they're on & start talking, then the shouting & fuss starts, she says "just you wait till Horizon or Massive Machines come on, I'm going to talk through them!" I record them & wait till shes gone out with her mates to watch them..

• Upvote 1

Corro's bumbling attempts to reveal Asian culture to people is cringe worthy.. remember 'Ireland' on EastEnders years ago?

Who's cooking, minding kids,ironing or living normally?

The amount of balm cakes,Roy's cake run and ale supped...they should all be size 16 plus...but Like all insecure ( see Big Brother) actors they try and look like young up and comers in their stretch, spanked outfits.. not that I watch it mind!!

Sorry to read that Liz is out of Coronation st due to Depression,apparently she was a close friend of Anne Kirkbride (dierdry),if I was a fan of the programme Liz would be one of my favourite characters............she is in fact a real dead ringer for one of my ex. wives,who also ran a Pub for a few years.......

• 3 weeks later...

Liz ain't happy with Michelle,........letting that bloke' Will' sniff about................not that I care.........

Edit......did you see the size of his door.......?

Edit 2. they've gone for it.............lol.