catfan

Nottm Children's Home Skegness

I had three weeks there in 1962 , our paths may have crossed !

My number on that "holiday" was B2.

They may well have.

I was the smallest kid there so got bullied by other kids as well as staff, I can't remember owt good about the place. B2 you'd have been 2'nd bed along on the top bunk, I was 4'th along on the bottom bunk,if I remember right..

The whole experience at that dreadful place sounds horrendous. Glad I was never sent there for a 'holiday', but in fact I never knew until reading this thread that it even existed.

• Upvote 3

On arrival you had to wear their "uniform" which they provided, black plimsolls, navy shorts, always three sizes too big so were really baggy ! White vest, that was it except on Sundays we wore our own clothes to visit church.

Governer's son was named Barry, robbing Ba$%^&*D also I forgot about the boxing until I read Robbie's post, the boxing pairs were always mis-matched so one lad was big & the other one small.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember the boxing, I (being the smallest there) was set against the next smallest, we just danced around hardly touching each other so it was a draw, some of the other bouts were quite brutal though. The staff seemed to enjoyed it more than they should have, hmm.

Yes remember the uniform, had a funny smell to it.

Melissa, I shudder when I think of the place now. I've told my Wife & her Mum about it, but they think I'm exaggerating how bad it was..

• Upvote 1

whatever money you had they kept from you till the end of your stay, i had about 1s-9d left and bought a tin wind up speedboat, arrived back home with about 3d, mam said she remembered giving me ten bob note.

Our parents were told to send kids with a postal order for 15 shillings, 5 shillings per week pocket money was the idea.

We hardly bought anything but no money was ever returned, when enquired was told that you had spent it all.

• Like 1

I managed to upload the photograph, l hope its not too small but that's the best l could do. It shows the staff at my 3 weeks of internment. I only remember the two bullies on the photo, one of them would have been the referee in the boxing booth. I am sure they were father and son.

I never spoke of my time there to anyone until a couple of years ago, over 50 years later, when it came up in conversation. I was taking to a fellow workmate about arranging a trip to Skeggy. We exchanged our memories and he told me he has never been back to Skeggy since his 'holiday' or ever will. It was just terrible for him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been wondering if I remember it being worse than it actually was, but reading others stories on here it was as vile as I remember it. Can't say I recognise anyone in the photo but I'm useless at faces. I remember Mam asking me about a 10 bob postal order she sent when I got released, but forget the outcome..

Front row second from left could be Mr Nicholls with his son Barry front Row extreme right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just shows photos are deceiving, they look a jolly lot!

• Upvote 1

Front row second from left could be Mr Nicholls with his son Barry front Row extreme right.

I don't remember any names but l now l am certain it was a father and son running the show. Look at those evil eyes of the younger man. Do you remember what year you were there? Another memory, l think the evening coco was in a coloured plastic handled mugs but once again not 100% sure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I remember two blokes, the younger one whipped me round the back of my legs with his whistle on a string a few times for not keeping up with the others on the forced marches, flipping hurt it did.

Can't wait to show this thread to my Wife & Mother-in-law to show them I wasn't exaggerating..

• Upvote 2

Mr Nicholls & son Barry.

I remember the cocoa in plastic mugs as well.

The only good thing I can remember was that we never went to bed hungry, always very well fed. In fact at home it was the total opposite !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To make viewing a bit easier and to get away from the thumbnail, I've grabbed the photo and enlarged it.

hjhjhjh.jpg

A much better photo, why couldn't l do that?

Back row extreme right, standing behind Barry is I'm not certain but think it is Barry's sister, Joy !

Luckily we hardly saw her, her dad & brother was enough.

• Like 1

Mike, You have a good memory for names, l am the same age as you so we could have been there together at the same time. Maybe fought each other in the ring, was you the big guy that knock me senseless? What are you like on dates? Do you recall the year you were sentenced?

• Like 1

I can remember some girls in my Junior school going, back in the 1950's, they were poor children who never got holidays, I saw the pamplet and it looked great......They were going to get paid 10 bob a week for helping out with the farm animals, it was for 4 weeks of the summer holidays - I wanted to go to get 10 bob - My mother would not let me as we always went away Pit weeks July/August to Brid or Skeggy in a guest house.......I sulked, but when I heard how badly they had been treated, I was glad I didn't go.................A girl called Barbara came back with whale marks on her body where she had been thrashed for laughing.............But I think School Teachers back in those days were all bar stewards, sadistic ex army blokes and frustrated spinsters - It was the bad off kids that were treated the worse, they never had a chance.......

Things had to change, but have they changed for the better ? .....I wonder........