catfan

Nottm Children's Home Skegness

catfan    9,390

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23&pid=74&st=0entry74

Does anyone remember the holiday home @ Skeggy ?

I went there about four times 59-63 ish. This place was were deprived kids & went for three weeks at a time. The boys home was on Roseberry Avenue can't remember where the girls place was.

A medical exam was taken @ a place on Chaucer St on the Thurs & if passed fit departed Shelton St school the following Tues morning for three weeks.

The regime there was very strict, I was always glad to get home !

Regular marches to Gibralter Point was a usual thing.

Anyone go ????

katyjay    3,441

Bygones magazine had a big article on this home a few years ago, asked folks who went there, to write in.

catfan    9,390

When I went (50s) the bloke in charge was a Mr Ellis, real nice bloke. Later he was replaced with a bloke named Nicholls, a real B*****D !

katyjay    3,441

This place doesn't sound much of a holiday for kids, if they couldn't wait to get home. The authorities should have been ashamed of themselves.

catfan    9,390

think the place was top end of skegggy

Roseberry Avenue !

catfan    9,390

This place doesn't sound much of a holiday for kids, if they couldn't wait to get home. The authorities should have been ashamed of themselves.

Always glad to get home, BUT we were well fed for three weeks, never went to bed hungry, so that was a plus side to it !

alisoncc    367

Would have been there circa 1955. Have distinct memories of being marched along the front in a howling gale, with waves beating over the railings along the beach side of the "Esplanade". Also remember the food was good, and plentiful, which was something for a kid from the Medders.

Thomas    9

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.c...4&st=0

I went there about four times 59-63 ish. This place was were deprived kids & went for three weeks at a time. The boys home was on Roseberry Avenue can't remember where the girls place was.

A medical exam was taken @ a place on Chaucer St on the Thurs & if passed fit departed Shelton St school the following Tues morning for three weeks.

Anyone go ????

I only went to Skeggy with my foster parents, got a monkey on a stick and a good hiding and told to enjoy

myself,otherwise i would be sent back to Hartly Rd childerens home. I did attend Shelton St school though

My form teacher was Mr Spungin and the music teacher was Mr Key smile2 . Brings back memories or

or ???

mick2me    2,953

Mr Spungin (Jewish?) is mentioned elswhere here, he taught me at Trent Bridge School.

His son did post some information here?

The Engineer    424

Two sisters, a brother and I went on this 'three week holiday'. I remember having to line up in order of height to be issued a number. I was Red 2. I think there were four coloured groups with ten lads in each, so 40 of us in all. One big dorm, communal showers, no shampoo, just soap, having to participate in boxing, being 'marched' down to the beach, being admonished for deciding to wear a different jumper without seeking permission, waiting for the weekly parcel from Mam with goodies (don't recall content, probably chocolate and comics), being led to believe we were going to see Bob Monkhouse when it turned out to be Donald Peers (who?). I think we bumped into the girls' troup and saw our sisters at least once but as has been said, they were interned somewhere else in Skeggy. Mr Nicholls sounds familiar and there was a Mr or Miss Towel.

It was certainly an experience. I don't think I would have wished it on others but I guess the council education dept. meant well. Happy days.

• Upvote 2

jackson    292

The Engineer, you write an interesting post @ #14.

Reads like you had a tough time but good to see that you've finished with: 'Happy Days'. :biggrin:

mgread1200    136

I also remember another place where kids were sent from deprived area's it was in Charnwood forest near Woodhouse Eaves, I was much younger when I went there and all I remember was the terrible feeling of home sickness shared by all the kids. The councils meant well but its obvious from all the posts that at that age no one enjoyed being away from home and family regardless of where and how they lived.

jackson    292

Mgread, please accept my apologies; out of your 2 sentences in #17, I should have written: 'beautifully put in your last line'. :) Christine

mary1947    705

Carrying on from the Pipewood thread http://nottstalgia.c...4&st=0

Anyone go ????

hi catfan

mayr 1947 here i can remember skegness holiday quite well there were 4 of us went from our class my self/ w husband/ p johnson/ and d plum. we used to plan how we would escape we all hated it. can you remember going to bed you had a cup of coco and the beds were in a long dormatiy at the very end near the door were two gus'unders so if you got out of bed in the night every one could hear you as they were made of metal.

catfan    9,390

mary 1947,

Remember the cocoa very well. aah luxury. Never had it before at home !

piggy and babs    539

piggy sez the children from nazareth house used to go to a big house near the boating lake at mablethorpe for there summer holidays his dad used to drive the coach and he and his dad would stay in one of the local b and bs for the week and have a hoilday themselfs.

Mike    1

Hi, Just read the above having just posted my memories on Pipewood Camp, I also went to Skegness before Pipewood and I would have been about 8 years old some 66 years ago. I enjoyed it, my first time away from home.

At the time i was going to Forsters Street Junior School in Radford.

Mike