Shops near Mansfield Road / Forest Road junction

Can anyone remember the shops that used to be around the Mansfield Road / Forest Road junction and going down Mansfield Road to Chatham Street in the late 1950s and 1960s?

On the corner of Mansfield Road was a coal merchant (later an antiques shop) then as you went along Forest Road there was Richardson’s bakers, Mr A.Cross the stamp dealer, Mr Morris the sweet shop and then an estate agent (which later became a hairdresser).

Going down Mansfield Road my memory is more hazy. Fairly near the traffic lights there was a pub and the yard of an advertising agency and the offices of Leslie Crawley Estate Agent. Soon after that as you walked down Mansfield Road was a pair of shops ‘The Creamery’ and ‘McGowan’s Grocers’, and then at some stage ‘J. Shine Antique Dealer’ and a newsagent.

At the junction of Mansfield Road and Chatham Street was a branch of Boots the Chemist – which I think also contained a Post Office counter. Next door to that was an Art Shop.

Can anyone fill in some more gaps?

Near the junction and quite a bit later(1984) was the Nott'm HQ of the union I was in . I can't for the life of me remember which one !! it was possibly GMWU (General and Municiple Workers Union) but from all accounts they had been there a while.

Have you had a "drive" up there recently on Streetview?

I didn't know the area in the days you mentioned, but it hasn't changed as much as many parts of Nottingham and you might be surprised how familiar it still looks.

There are still shops on the top bit of Forest Road, including antique/retro places; the pub is now called the Maze, and there are still a lot of shops on the way down Mansfield Road (even if they open and close and change owners every few months)

The other thing you'll notice is that quite a few of the old "shops" have been converted back to housing, and are probably now full of students.

My memory of the Afro Caribbean hairdressers was , as I drove past with my mum (Years ago ) she commented on the photographs of the different styles available on display in the window , saying they looked like they had 'Lego' bricks in their hair (She was of course talking about the Gel that was prevalent at that time.!)

• 1 year later...

I hadn't realised that the name of the Poacher was a fairly recent event. Used to be the Old Grey Nags Head

http://www.pictureth...004593&prevUrl=

It was renamed when Bateman's Brewery (I think) took over the pub. Curiously, the original windows with 'The Old Grey Nags Head' etched into them are still prominent at the front of the the pub.

The interesting thing about that shot is that the electronics shop to the left is now part of the pub. It's also extended to the rear from those days too.

The pub "Criterion" was not far from the junction on the right going towards town. A little further down there was a double fronted, 2nd hand musical instrument shop, whose name escapes me now. This may have been the shop which is now "Dave Mann Music".

• 5 years later...

There used to be a tools store off Carlton road,maybe Peas hill road,I was working in a garage near the bottom of Sneinton road (late 60's) so it was close by,bought a steel shafted ball pein hammer from there once and one of the owners of the garage couldn't understand why I hadn't got a wooden shafted hammer (proper hammer he said) after many many years now all my hammers have wooden shafts,I know it sounds daft but you can feel how the hammer behaves with every hammer blow and you can't with a steel or fibre glass shafted hammer

Rog

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Anyone else use these Hardware shops before the Texas or B&Q?

Certainly did - including Stones and Gillots (recently mentioned on here). There were also a couple of DIY/wood shops on Derby Road (going up to Canning Circus from the city) which had my patronage. Those hypermarkets hadn't been invented.

As I understand it now you have to buy nails counted out into stupid quantities of about half a dozen and sold in little plastic boxes rather than by the lb.

Plantfit - I know exactly what you mean about wooden shafted hammers - especially important for any artistic or craft work. Hickory is the wood of choice, it has the right amount of spring and thus feedback to the user.

• Like 2

P1060909.jpg

P1060910.jpg

Not a steel shaft in sight, printed on the shaft it says "Always wear safety glasses" nowt about thumb protection !!!!

Rog

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, jonab said:

Then there was Pools Tools on Pelham Street for precision engineering equipment.

I dealt with Pools Tools a lot for pneumatic equipment. They then moved that side of the business to Bulwell on an estate at the rear of the Adelphi cinema. Also used Mitchell Air Power on Trent Lane for similar gear.

• Like 2

The place opposite the H&H is one of those I meant. The other was further up on the same side as the H&H. May have been called Hall's.

I remember Pools Tools being on Pelham Street - got it a little bit wrong there, no wonder I couldn't place it (the building) on GSV.

• Like 1

I knew Dennis & Roberts as being on Clumber Street. They were useful for all sorts of oddities in the DIY field - and they used to stock Thompson & Morgan seeds. The shop really went downhill when they moved to Viccy Centre. I remember it being run by an impossibly posh bloke with Brylcreem-slicked back hair.

I remember The Peacock, mainly because of its odd "pointed" shape sort of poking into Mansfield Road. Never went in there, don't know why.

• Like 1