Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Knocks the spots off coca-cola.

I agree Jill. My all time favourite childhood soft drinks were Tizer and R.L.Jones Sunecta Mixed Fruit. R.L. Jones, I think,  was part of Mansfield Brewery.

In order..  Portello, Vimto, Tizer, American Cream Soda, Dandelion and Burdock, Cherryade and Limeade..

The only thing wrong with blackcurrants is that the leaves smell  like Tom cat wee… also they are a pain to pick as they are just single fruits.  Redcurrants are easier to pick as there is multiple fruit on one stalk.

Starkey’s Fruits at nearby Southwell used to grow blackcurrants for Ribena.   
I think there’s a problem with finding pickers now so they concentrate on strawberries. I believe the Ribena blackcurrants are predominantly grown on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

It seems that it doe's not take a lot  Davida to make you happy.

Come on everyone down to the shop to buy some Vimto for David.

• 3 weeks later...
D46BD335-B97E-40F7-B458-046FC02124A2

FBD89261-0C08-4204-8196-43C2BE8BE334

Top photo...Vernons stores.Kirkby in Ashfield..about 1970...i worked there about 65 for a couple of weeks.......

Bottom picture same place last week'''''''''

Found the old photo in a book''Kirkby in Ashfield Yesterday Remembered'' by Greald Lee.............

• Like 2

Got my taxi drivers licence from K.in A. back in 1986. As I've still got it, I wonder if they would like it back and if I'd get a refund?

13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Top photo...Vernons stores.Kirkby in Ashfield..about 1970...i worked there about 65 for a couple of weeks.......

Despite all the mentions in various threads, I think that's the first Vernon's photo we've seen on Nottstalgia !

01007087-38A5-497B-B85A-FAE82D2F1D90

One from my time in Coalville 1964.....you can just make out the ''Farrands' store.....3rd shop on left........

Used to lodge with ''Big Maud'' on Whitwick road......i was 19 and she always threatened to lock me out if i was not in before eleven........;)

Marsden's Moor Street | Brian Morley

Just found this photo (below or above) on the net........it shows a Marsdens on Moor street Mansfield in the 1930's.......even before my time.....it states in the right up the Manager went on to Manage Marsdens in Bulwell..................

Managers name was Wilfred Morley and the piece was written by his Grandson...

• Like 1
On 3/29/2022 at 4:01 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Vernons stores.Kirkby in Ashfield..about 1970

Worked in Kirkby for 18 months just before we left for Oz in '75 and drove down that road twice a day and bu$$ered if I can remember a Vernons store.

15ee989f8a8a3b0d2b20471558cb7f0a.jpg

Have added VG stores to the Marsdens etc thread..........worked all over the country dealing with VG stores........there were quite a few in Nottinghamshire.........they were all privately owned and at one time there were over 3;000 nationwide.......anyone recall any where they lived ?...........

ABGibsons of Daybrook supplied the Notts..South Yorkshire..Lincs..East Anglia.and West Midlands ones...with depots also operating out of Peterborough and Moxley......

• Like 1

There was a VG store on Alfreton Road, in the row of shops opposite Bobbers Mill Road. It had previously been England's. I remember the yellow and white stripes on the fascia. There were a number of grocery shops in that row, including the Co-op, and Hurstfield's on the other side of the road.  Eventually, the advent of the supermarket put them all out of business.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

2_NTGM004704.jpgAnother VG store...........shown by Cliff ton previously...Taggs..Woodborough road.........

• Like 1

A Moore's supermarket, c1970

This is the company that bought out Farrands- Marsdens about 1970...........they were based in the North-east...........

And Moores were taken over by Presto who were taken over by Safeway who were taken over by Morrisons (who had to sell off quite a few and of their own shops.) who have been taken over by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice who still keep the Morrisons trading name.

So somewhere in the depths of Morrisons lurks a little bit of Marsdens etc.

• Like 1

Yes Oz., when I worked at SPD in 1976, we used to deliver to International. Cheers mate, Beekay.