• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

It's a park and ride for the trams really Mick. About fifteen minutes walk to Parliament Street and very useful if you're in the city for a few hours, are happy to have a bit of a walk, and are resistant to paying the swingeing parking charges in our city centre.

Incidentally, on that note, the Broadmarsh multi-story is now charging £4 for a whole day's parking. It's due to lack of custom I understand.

No idea if there used to be buses on Waverley Street, I'm sure there were. Somebody here would know better than me. As mentioned though, nothing on Waverley Street apart from trams these days.

• 1 month later...

Waverley Street was (a long time ago!) the preserve of the rather occasional and erratic No.2 bus, which started from Goldsmith Street, just above Theatre Square, and finished up at Mansfield Road/Valley Road, via Mount Hooton Road, Bentinck Road, Alfreton Road, Gregory Boulevard, Hucknall Road and Valley Road (later diverted round Hartley Road, Radford Boulevard, when the roundabout at the bottom of Alfreton Road was changed to traffic lights, and turning right into Gregory Boulevard was forbidden).

I recall that no.2 bus! always a single decker I think? can't for life of me think why I remember it though! re Park and Ride on the Forest, it's been there years long before the trams my eldest has parked on there every day for I bet 10 years and always walked to and from work at various city centre offices (same gov. job) he's 40 now and still walks to Canal Street.

ps just come back to me re the no.2 I think it was going or coming back with relation who lived on Noel St to WTA rambling club who had clubrooms in a big house somewhere at end of Shakespere St, would have been pre 1959

just been looking at todays paper photo in there of celerbrations for the arbouretums 150th aniversary but i did not see any publicity about them before they happened did anyone else.

Babs, I just happened to visit the 'Local History's Exhibition' at the County Library and picked up a leaflet regarding the Arboretum's 150th.

Anyway, the main event was the next day - I caught the tram.

Weather was lovely, although blowy and there was a band - bandstand in use - lots of family groups sitting on the grass and lots of varied stalls.

There's plans on opening a customer friendly building: cafeteria and toilets; I signed in approval of this. :)

jackson sorry i missed this event but great to hear there are plans to improve the facilities on there it might be better used again last time i was on there the toilets closed and locked mid summer last year

Judging by the amount of people on the Arboretum the day I visited, Nottingham people are fond of the place.

There's a 'Friends of the Arboretum' group which is encouraging.

Try and get to see the flower displays Babs, they're worth a visit in itself! :)

i think many old nottingham people are fond of the park and it evokes many good memories for many jusy a shame the council have letit get into the bad state its in at the moment,

no public toilets within easy walking distance esspecialy for small chilldren who sometimes carnt wait plus elderly or disabled puts a lot of people off so park not always as busy as it could be making some people feel vunarable and nervouse so wont usethis beutiful park unless with other people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Memories.

I was taken with my family when I was a small boy, sunday evenings in the summer when the band played in the bandstand. This was in the 1930s. Later on when older the Aboretum was part of my stamping ground. In those days had to beware of the Parkies. They kept us in order.

Haven't been there for many a long year. Don't live in Nottingham any longer, mores the pity.

Glad to here there are still birds in the aviaries, in my day there were two very large and colourful macaws, who answered you back if you spoke.

Happy days!.

• Upvote 1

You must remember Cocky, the Sulphur-crested cockatoo? He was 114 when he died so I think our generation and at least the one before us, used to see him. There was also a Mynah bird that talked a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

You must remember Cocky, the Sulphur-crested cockatoo? He was 114 when he died so I think our generation and at least the one before us, used to see him. There was also a Mynah bird that talked a lot.

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as we lived in Hucknall .......... So I've seen a cockatoo during in my lifetime......

• Upvote 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum