• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go under the bridge shown on the original photo, then take the first turn right, and you came to the entrance of Arkwright Street station on the Great Central line. The entrance was nothing more than

You should have took that dodgy kipper back years ago...it's no good expecting a 1'6d refund now...

You could put it that way. But it's a bit like saying Harrods is a shop. The thing about Selectadisc is that they had everything obscure and unknown and weird (and that was the customers as well....)

That's what I thought Mick, looking towards Trent Bridge, with Midland Station to the left just out of shot

Is this Midland Station end of Arkwright street?

Yup. Top of Queen's Drive to the right, and Queen's Road with the now-famous metallic car park, off to the left.

And the two other photos where the buses are parked is South Parade

Ad on the first bus, Shop at 'GEM and save'

I used to shop at Gem and SPEND!

What was 'Selecta Disc' all about, Was it just a record sale store ??

You could put it that way. But it's a bit like saying Harrods is a shop.

The thing about Selectadisc is that they had everything obscure and unknown and weird (and that was the customers as well....).

Selectadisc was extremely not about top 30 commercial best sellers. They knew about music and so did everyone who went in there.

• Upvote 1

We had a similar shop in Reigate when I was a kid, it was called Gramophile, the sort of shop where you could go in and ask an assistant (who resembled a bit part from the Adams family) if they had, or knew a song by......and you could badly sing it to them and unless you were rubbish at singing (like my wife who could sing the national athem and get it mistaken for Mull of Kintyre) Uncle Fester would more often than not identify it.

I even remember my sister (the only one who had the nerve to do it) record a song in a booth and it was recorded to a 7" vinel. I wonder if she still has that song, think it was 'two little boys'

Wherever you went from that station the journey was Long, Mucky & Slow (LMS) so the title on the bus destination window is correct.

re bridge over arkwright st i believe was used by the victoria station line (Grand Central) and this the line to london.

virtually under the bridge bought my first ever super duper racing bike from ANDY BONE cycle shop!!

Go under the bridge shown on the original photo, then take the first turn right, and you came to the entrance of Arkwright Street station on the Great Central line.

The entrance was nothing more than a door in a wall. Like this:-

arkstation.jpg

• Upvote 3

Pretty late photo there? (lack of trolley bus wires) guess GCR restricted by lack of space re the entrance?possibly also the reason for the (one of 2 seen) "tower shutes" for goods etc which have been mentioned before, either that or they thought local peasants didn't need anything else! lol. Can you imagine an advert in later years if top floor of that shop had been converted to a flat ? "Large s/c flat, handy for local station, suit trainspotter, or deaf insomniac"

Below the Vauxhall cars sign,obscured by a shadow is the entrance to another Motorcycle shop. It must have been the smallest shop in Nottingham, just a long narrow corridor,it was mainly repairs,and a good source of secondhand parts when you were skint.

It was run by a chap called Sid,who had previously worked for Blacknell Motors,just up the road by the station.

Nothing left of this bit now! although "The Crown Inn" is still there but closed

The "Crown" is on the corner of Crocus Street the next street to Waterway Street and is the easiest way to find the location the site of Arkwright Street Station.

• 1 year later...