It's not a rip off if you just use a little bit of imagination:

I went into Wilko's for a 'Mothers' Day' card for my grand-daughter to give to her mum; they were charging £1.50 a card and they didn't appeal. Instead I bought a frame and a mount from the store and when I arrived home put in a little painting my grand-daughter had made.

She was able to give her mum a piece of original art for the grand price of £1.60 that will last forever.

hearteyes

• Upvote 3

Hope you all had a brill mothers day - For all those in UK anyways. It was my first proper mothers day on sunday! ( I got a mummy-to-be day present last year to say well done for coping with my difficalt pregnancy & i got my partner a daddy-to-be day pressent on fathers day, for saying well done for coping with a stressfull pregnant lady! :) )

It was the simple things for me, as thats what i appreciate alot more than flowers or chocolates - its what everyone seems to buy their mums as they have no idea what else to get, thoughtless.

Instead, As i collect tatty teddy bears - I got a tatty puppy, Some beautiful little herb pots & seeds, a tub of my favourite sweets, My partner payed for my hair to be done the day before & i was just treated to a relaxing morning before i went and spent the afternoon with my mum & daughter. We bought her tons of flowers as she does love her flowers & plants, chocolates & a bird table that shes wanted for her garden for around 3 years! Was a lovely day overall & i dont think i could of asked for better :)

• Upvote 1

Pixie, I see you collect tatty teddy bears and it made me wonder if you watch Antiques Roadshow on the TV. People have taken their old teddy bears onto the show and found they've been worth hundreds of pounds and on odd occasions into the thousands.

I watch it every so often, Michael.. I know someone who collects old bears that are worth alot & have spent alot on them. My main collection is tatty teddies & blue nose friends - Quite childish but i LOVE them. I have many of normal teddies & teddy bear ornaments around the house. I have a styfe bear too (Not sure how thats spelt exactly) That was given to me to give to paige when shes 18 as itll be worth alot by then, then if she wishes to sell it when shes older she can. I dont think tatty plush teddies or my tatty teddie ornaments will be worth all that much just yet, but iv kept most of the boxes they came in so they have everything with them in a few years to come.

As tatty teddies/me to you bears (There the same thing) Are so popular at the moment, people seem to just give them away when the novalty wears off.. Remember TY beany babies? They were all the range when i was a child.. I kept a few & they still have tags on, even tag protectors.. Iv found out theyv started being worth something. So i plan to keep all my Tatty teddies so when im bored of them & stopped collecting, i shall pass them down to my child/children. So when their older they'll be worth a few bob to sell or keep.

• 2 years later...

Thank you from me too Paul.

Every year I see the Mothers Day cards in the shops and wish I was buying one for my Mum but sadly I haven't had to do that for 26 years. RIP to my best friend and best Mummy in the World.

• Upvote 5

Thats really nice Lizzie,its 20 yrs this year since i lost mine,and was thinking about her this morning,and remembered a rule she had with me and my brother,if we had had even slight disagreement with her,before we could enter the house again,we had to throw our cap in first,as a peace offering,

WAS THIS A NOTTINGHAM THING?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, didn't get on with mine.

I know that some people don't like Mothers Day etc because they think it's a rip-off. My view is that it's worth every penny for the happiness it brings to all the Mums out there.
Like LizzieM and Benjamin1945 (#19/20), my Mum isn't here anymore but I'd give anything to be able to go to her house with a card and present and give her lots of hugs and kisses.
On a lighter note, it's my daughters first Mothers Day today as she had her first child, Phoebe, three months ago. It's a very special day for them, being the first one, and her husband has been spoiling her rotten. Her husband and Phoebe have been making dinner for her and I've added a photo of Phoebe looking after the meat...lol

PhoebeHoldingMeat_zps2bf98576.jpg

• Upvote 6

Lovely pic Michael, what a sweetie! Our sons are 100 miles away but as we're off on holiday tomorrow we haven't seen them this weekend but I've had cards, phone calls and a lovely session on FaceTime with our 11 month old granddaughter who was showing off climbing on and off the sofa. I think by the time we get back from our hols she'll be walking. Oh dear, they grow up too fast.

• Upvote 2