• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checked we have a good nine inches in Wollaton   

Why on earth Is there a sheep in that photo?  Or perhaps the girl's name is Mary....

Five minutes ago, 22:15hrs:

I watched an old film about the winter of 1963 on YT the other night.  I was in my apprenticeship back then and we were wiring houses on Phoenix Farm estate, but we managed to keep working.  The film showed many parts of the south with feet of snow.  Even steam engines trapped in the drifts.  I don't recall it being that bad in Nottingham.  We must have escaped the worst and I had never realized how bad it was elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I never understood fingerless gloves. It’s not the palms of you hands that feel the cold. I remember bus conductors used to wear them to count out the change. I’ll see if I can find my thermal gloves so I can cut the fingers off and experiment in the interests of science. I think they’re in my “winter bag” together with my thermal woolly hat. I’ll cut the top out of that as well - I still have hair!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

. Have you got matching toeless socks?

The black ones are socks  :rotfl:

Rog

You must be warm and snug out in the fens Rog. I’ve just been outside with my 2 stroke leaf/ snow blower to clear a path from the door to the garage but it was just too cold to carry on. I couldn’t find any gloves, fingerless or otherwise so I’m leaning up against the radiator thawing out!

Not out in the Fens really Phil,in fact not a million miles from you,(your side of Lincoln), the wind has been blowing snow about all day,the village road has a good covering of snow but the main roads aren't too bad, the cycle/footpath I usually ride on is under about three feet of snow in places but that is where the snow had drifted off the fields,the temp this morning at 10.00 hrs was -4.8 just outside the back door (facing west) but felt much colder in the wind,managed to keep the footpath around the house clear though using some grit salt, there is a bread and milk shortage down at both village shops would you believe,had to buy a frozen loaf,it's all they had,still it would have been frozen by the time we got home anyway,

Will see what tomorrow brings,if it's not too bad I will get the car fired up and have a steady drive to Asda near Hykeham

Take care Phil and try to keep warm

Rog

We don’t tend to get much drifting here in the Trent Valley as the countryside is less open than round your way. We’ve had 4x4’s since before they became fashionable so we’ve never been stuck but the village shop closed a couple of years ago so we have to go to Southwell or Fiskerton for supplies. We’ve got enough stuff to knock a chilli con carne together for tonight so I’m not going to venture out. I think we’ve seen the last of the proper snow and the outside temperature has risen to minus 0.4 C. It’s just the wind chill that’s nasty as it’s currently blowing at 22mph.

• 10 months later...

Maybe Derbyshire Margie.