Michael Booth

Meadow Lane Area

Cliff Ton    5,492

This thread has suffered badly from the Photobucket ransom demand, and a large number of photos are now missing. So here's a couple of new ones to fill some of the gaps.

Meadow Lane is up the left; Lady Bay Bridge still has trains on it; and Notts County ground is just creeping in the bottom left corner.

2dytH3J.jpg

Another, with some of Sneinton appearing in the top background.

oy7UmSn.jpg

Michael Booth    7,013

This is Grainger St. Off Meadow Lane. The house on the left just before the entry is where I lived until I was 16 years old.

Grainger_Street_Photo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MargieH    3,345

I have a childhood memory of going to the cattle market with my dad for some reason and seeing a chicken being killed.  The man wrung  its neck then swung it round by its legs, finally bashing its head on the floor ......horrible.  I forget so many things nowadays - I wish I could forget that particular incident...

Michael Booth    7,013

BilboroughShirley, this is a photo of Grainger Street which, as you can see from Cliff Ton's map, is a couple of streets away. The space on the right of Moreland Street was wasteland and the space at the bottom, between Moreland Street and Holme Street was also wasteland. This is the place where we had our bonfire every year and everyone from the area used to come to it. In the bottom right hand corner of Cliff ton's map, on Freeth Street, you will see a space. This is where the fuel depot was and when the bonfire was blazing away you'd always get the fire brigade come flying down Moreland Street with the lights flashing and sirens blasting out. This was always the highlight of the night for us kids. All the houses on all the streets were the same so you'll get an idea what Moreland Street looked like. I lived on Grainger Street from birth until 1960 and it was always a friendly area with little bother. I also put another photo of myself in Grainger Street on the 'Railway & General thread'.

Grainger_Street_Photo.jpg

Cliff Ton    5,492
11 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

C T I'm I going daft or hasn't the Trent Lane warehouse complex been built at that time?

Are you referring to the big concrete boxes on the riverbank (on the Sneinton side) ?

Cliff Ton    5,492

....but you can definitely see them in this pic. In the last couple of years they've been demolished and replaced by housing.

ZuG1rNH.jpg

NewBasfordlad    2,302

By crikey demolished...........that must have been some task, they were solid concrete and thick too with large steel doors.

Back in the 80s when Anglo-American imported the weaponry of a complete Chinese battalion armoury they used one of those warehouses as a weapons store. It was the one that backed on to the Trent Basin off the Trent, full to the gunnels, never seen so many guns in one place.