Things our parents used to say

If it was dark and cloudy Mum would say "It's gerrin black ova Bill's Motha's"

If it was time for bed she would say "Come on girl, up those stairs to Bedfordshire"

If it was fine drizzle, she would say "It's that rain that wets ya"

Of course there was the one for daughters from Mums "Ner cast a clout, till May is out" - meaning that flippin Liberty Bodice with its rubber buttons remained in situ until the end of May! (*O*)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

cods•wal•lop (ˈkɒdzˌwɒl əp)

n. Brit.

nonsense; rubbish.
[1960–65]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd.
codswallop
Definition
› nonsense: What a load of codswallop!
(Definition of codswallop noun from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
Focus on the pronunciation of codswallop

Poshnarg;

If it was dark and cloudy Mum would say "It's gerrin black ova Bill's Motha's"

Ain't heard that in a while.............................. thumbsup

"Yer drivin' me round the twist !" ( ha ha ...not meant for the above comment ! )

But where does "round the twist" come from ?

If mam bought 2 of something, [could be anything, not just food] I'd say, why do we have 2 of them and she'd say, in case one makes me sick.

As I grew up quite often the word "yo" would be used instead of you to which my mum would always say " yo's in the field kicking up his heals" I have no idea what it meant. Another phrase if I started a reply with " I thought...." she would say " You know what thought did, followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding." Ah memories!!!

Sheila

• Upvote 1

Walk properly....ya look knock kneed and pen toed !

Ner ner cook a bear

tell yer mam to cut yer 'air

cut it long , cut it short

cut it wiya a knife and fork

When asked her age my mother used to say "I am as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth".

And being a countrywoman from Lincolnshire, my mother used to use her Lincolnshire dialect a lot when speeking, below are a few words she used to use.

Outlicked = Outdone

Clammy = Sticky

Taates = Potatoes

Yeller-Belly = Someone from Lincolnshire

Scanny = Mean

Pelt = Throw

My mum is 80 and still calls her grand kids "Tripe Hounds" if they are naughty, and I remember if I wasn't asleep by the time it was 10.00 pm "The Ten O'clock Horse men will drag you away"