Kids Transport of the 50s & 60s

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only talking about this in the pub the other day.. There's a couple of lads round here must be eighteen years old that can be seen every night on their little kids scooters, sometimes skateboards.Ear

When i was about 12 -13 my Dad had made me a trolley (thats what we called it) made from Coach pram wheels and planks of wood, it was long enough for about 3 or 4 of us to ride on when we were going d

I think I've posted this before...but what the heck...

I had a scooter my Mum won at Goose Fair, cheap MoBo, wore a few pairs of shoes out on that before it was scrapped ...LOL

We had a Triang scooter - I loved it! It had a brake on the rear wheel that you operated with the heel of your foot - you could do amazing sliding stops with it!

We had a Triang scooter - I loved it!

Had one of those also. I had this notion that it would be great if it could 'hover' a few inches off the ground and requested my dad to make this happen for me. Really annoyed with him when he laughingly informed me it wasn't possible!

Funny how scooters in the modern genre have made a come-back. And they seem to be favoured by kids a lot older than in our day. A few lads in the early years at the secondary school just round the corner (say 11-12 year olds) go to school on them. I reckon we would have looked down on this as infantile. Bikes yes, but scooters - that was for little kids.

Only talking about this in the pub the other day..

There's a couple of lads round here must be eighteen years old that can be seen every night on their little kids scooters, sometimes skateboards.Earlier that night I'd been watching a World at War type programme, and there were lads their age flying Spitfires and Hurricanes and fighting for their lives and ours over Southern England.

The huge difference between one generation of kids that need to grow up...and another generation that had no choice but to grow up very quickly.

• Upvote 2

The huge difference between one generation of kids that need to grow up...and another generation that had no choice but to grow up very quickly.

Your dead right about that Poohbear,

The only two scooters i remember were Triang & MoBo,

I had a MoBo, was there any other manufacturers ?

Thanks for Photo link Cliff Ton, having looked at it, what about that other form of transport when we were smaller the Pedal car !!

Actually, I think mine was a MoBo as opposed to a Tri-ang. They were not quite as sophisticated as the latter I don't think. No wonder the auld man couldn't make it fly...

Also recall re trolley, hatching a plan to motorise one that never got off the ground. A mate of mine's dad part-owned the local VW dealer and we formed an ambitious plan to load the trolley with a starter motor from the garage there.

I'm still sick that it never happened.

and dont forget your rpller skates guys and gels i must say i was never very good on them always seemed too heavy for me much prefered to go ice skating.

as for trolleyes when i worked at ballooon woods we spent the whole of one summer hols designing and building six different models and had timed races at the end of the hols the girls beat the lads hands down but lots of fun was had . the one big problem we did find was in getting the right kind of wheels modern prams just arnt made the same the best one we made after the kids had finished theres was made from wheells brought from a silver cross pram company and axles got through enginering company along with a bolt for the sterring that wasin use for at least two years before i left.

Here's me on my scooter, I am 8, so it would be mid 50's. I don't ever remember a brand name on it, it was quite big, no brake, you used your foot. I went everywhere on it.

201215_zpsc0754ba6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Could be an early Triang?

I had a later model

The stand doubled as a brake.

That's also the one I had....................used for 'tazzin' round Minver Crescent........................

Now, there's a phrase I've not heard in a while - "tazzin round".

Funny - I was looking at facebook today and found a picture of some local kids making what was called a go-kart. But it looked mighty like a trolley to me - a bit fancier than them from our days - shiny wing nuts, new wheels, length of new rope - I ask you - NEW rope? and a posh plastic seat. Bit of a Rolls Royce sort of effort - but essentially the same design. Good on 'em. Hope they have as much fun with it as we did with ours.