bimblebee

Gypsies around Nottinghamshire

Hi,

I am researching my family tree and it turns out many of them were Romany. They travelled around Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire (some of them ended up in court in Nottinghamshire and featured in various newspapers).

Mainly looking for Newberry/Newbury and also Smiths, but they were also linked to Elliots and Grays. A lot of them can be found on census around Worksop, Retford, Newark.

Please get in touch if you have links with any of these.

Thanks.

Do you belong to the Nottinghamshire Family History Society? They have a page to post your inquiries..

the area around nottinghamshire still has quite a large gypsy population and several perminant sites wether they are true romany irish tinkers or other travlers, its worth asking around the sites as long as you aproach them in the right manner most will be happy to help. i have a lady i know who comes from a romany back ground who says she has her family bible with her family tree in it i will ask her if amy of these names show up in her tree. although smith is a common name in the romany comuity too, many romany families do the same thing because sometimes the children have not been registered properly but will often have been babtied often at the big horse fairs or when there is a big family wedding happening often asmany as 20 children will have been baptied at the same time.

There's a sizeable community at Tolney Lane in Newark. A few mins walk from Newark Castle station.

Thanks for all your help. I will certainly take a look at the Notts Family History Society. I have previously considered approaching some of the travellers when the encampments spring up but the dogs have always looked a bit menacing!

My gran's family, on my mum's side, were Romany.

The family name was Eedy, her father was John Eedy, who's trade was 'Flower Hawker' the family resided in old caravans (horse drawn) & mainly resided around Ilkeston, Derby area, finally settling in Ilkeston circa 1900.

Apparently John Eedys extended family were fairground people, some of who were the Noyce family, who attended Goose Fair for many years

• Upvote 1

I know the Noyce name Paulus,Holland and Davey are our tribe- and thru marriage Sparrowhawk.. red Indian connection from fairs etc..

Eedys, Smith and Bostocks are names i recognise..most of our tribe are scattered about..and off the road..many in Kent.Not all were fairground folk either.Roger Peatman might enjoy these.53085.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgGoose Fair..been in this dozens of times..made me laugh..sometimes they'd show a latest rice burner ouside..when you stump up yer' 3 bob..pair of 40's Indians with low pressure tyres..could whizz though..Boss man had an old Harley as well.

• Like 2

56038.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgSetting up, 1973..my middle is Matthew..because of the day of the Saint..and the original fairs day!

• Like 2

Win an LP at Darts,1975.56049.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgi've got 4 albums off the Fair..all 'Flyback' series..and first by UFO..on the Beacon Label..me 10p must have trebled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Edit: two are 'Tracks' albums with Hendrix etc...

I've got a few LP's called "Backtrack" - "The Who" on one side and "Hendrix" on the other, all on the "Track" label.

• Like 1

I think Carni knows about this also?.

Long time now..but near St Stephens Church in Sneinton there were wakes fairs..near Notintone St. There was trouble in The Fox pub..which ended up in a curse. What i do know about this wake concerning my tribe..is that a Son of Farmers Store got a relation of mine in the family way!

• Like 1

'Bloomin' Eck Ian. You will have to jog my memory a bit. I'm afraid the old grey matter is taking a rest on this one. lol.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ey 'up Carni if i remember it was the fox pub in sneinton..some gypsies got barred from the small fair nearby and then put a curse on the pub and landlord..you found the article which was very interesting..blowed if i recall the full story..like you said the old grey matter.

• Like 2

I have been googling and can't find  anything Ian. No idea how to work our Search facility on NS, so I can't find the story? You  have got me interested and opened up a project for me to find the article. That should liven the grey matter up a bit. :)

• Like 2

Twisted myself, patting myself on the back for, first of all, finding the thread, then actually copying and pasting on me tablet!

• Like 3

Nice Detective work Kath!..sorry i got the wrong pub Carni.

Edit:..brilliant..a bit spooky..thanks to both ladies.

• Like 3

Top Mod eh !

• Like 1

And it was Carni..that got me thinking..because???. I have the dreaded Dentist on Monday.Grr!!

I hate that drill.

Roger or Ben might know more..i always thought Billy's Boxing Booth was originally Devon way..long time since i met Woods's.Billy_Wood_card.jpgLocal Lads?