• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a lovely post Margie about a very fair, caring and lovely man. He never taught me but he was Deputy Head by the time I started at C-Le-W.   My favourite though was Fred Lee who took us for

My favourite teacher at Carlton-le-Willows was Mr C N Bates, who taught me French and German.  He was a really good teacher and was also my form teacher for 3 years.  I think he really cared about us

Heard the Mundella kids talking about Daddy Dakin, as I mentioned in another thread I went out with a girl from Mundella, but dare not tell my Trent Bridge schoolmates as I didn't want the rack or duf

I was at William Crane senior girls from Sept 58 - Dec 61 [crikey, I am older than dirt] and in all the time there, there wasn't a teacher anyone dreaded, every one of them was professional, smartly dressed and taught us well. It was a pleasure being there.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The chance of me finding photos or anything here is almost zero until I find my feet and believe me that could take a few weeks ;) . I do a post but then can take ages and ages before I find it again.............. but fanx for telling me cos I will certainly find them even if it kills me lol.............. I even surprise myself sometime at how the names just come straight back to me when I look at the old school photos..........

:Kiss:

I was at William Crane senior girls from Sept 58 - Dec 61 [crikey, I am older than dirt] and in all the time there, there wasn't a teacher anyone dreaded, every one of them was professional, smartly dressed and taught us well. It was a pleasure being there.

One of your PE teachers used to sit on the sports field wearing a short Gymn skirt and massage her thighs. It was quite an entertainment for the lads during break. How well I remember!!!

• Upvote 1

Went to the John Player School Bilborough, left in 1972. Will always remember two amazing teachers, maths teacher Harry Terry and the English teacher, Jack 'Nobby' Aucland although I did get the cane off him on more than once!

I remember Nobby Auckland. He was our Form Master and English teacher and he was, I think, a good teacher and a fair man who would though use the cane when necessary, having first adjusted the joint on his leg calliper. I can see him now swinging his right leg around the left hand corner in the corridor between the Staff room and the library.

My time at Player School Senior Boys was 1956-60 so Nobby was there a long time. Does anyone remember Mr.Briggs the Maths teacher? If you were part of his 'experiment' which lasted for the first six months of our time in the Senior school I doubt that you will ever forget the ruthless, terrifying way he pursued his aim of instilling eight subjects in maths to the level that he thought was possible and which the other members of the Education Committee, on which he sat, did not. He was right and they were wrong but I have mental scars from those months and perhaps Derek Singleton still has the marks on his back from when he was slammed against the classroom door with such force by Mr.Briggs for not getting the right answer.

Prior to the Senior School my time in the Juniors is remembered fondly. Mr.Rutherford our Form Master is someone I remember with great affection.

Nobby Auckland was also the Scout leader for Nottm 39th pack or whatever they were called at Player School.

A really fine teacher of the old school, strict but fair.

Have heard he is still alive, now must be in his 80s.

Mr Rutherford was also my form teacher, again a first class teacher & a gentleman.

Harry Terry another good teacher, in class he always spoke of his young daughter, Helen, who when she grew up became a Doctor.

Mr Terry sadly now gone to that big classroom in the sky.

A few years before they pulled the meadows down people started dumping rubbish in the entries like the one that ran between Wilford grove and Bruce grove the entry ran at the side of my house on Wilford grove a scheme was set up by Albert Whitehead a tory working class councillor Mr Smith head teacher tb juniors and me a 13 year old kid Nottm City Council supplied dustbin lorry i do nt exagerate when i say there were rats as big as cats Mr Smith was never my teacher but i liked and had respect for a teacher who gave up his saturday mornings to benefit a community that supplied his living for both men it was low key and they were not looking for accolade.I dont know if they are still alive but bless um.they were a credit to what yhey did .

• Upvote 1

In my dotage and I look back with awe at a Mr Adler. He taught french at ACHS and was a short dapper man who wore bow ties all the time. He had suffered badly during the war and had one eye removed. The rumour was that the Germans did it. HoweverHe must have suffered the torments of hell with the class of buffoons that I was in. We led him a merry dance and he somehow kept his cool watching as all of us threw our education out of the window. I now relies that he was doing a great job countered by the frustration of behind-the-back sniping and mickey taking> I now wonder whatever happened to him?

AlisonCC, # 37. I've still got the bible I was given when I started Grammar School in 1961 but in the County schools we had blue ones and from your photo I think they were quite a lot bigger. Inside is printed something like 'presented to the children of Nottinghamshire'

I wonder what such organisations get out of handing out these bibles and the brainwashing that goes along with it.? I have several very dear friends in UK who were indoctrinated at school by `Pop Calder (who on retirement became a vicar). I must admit some of the finest people I know are true believers though! The more knowledge one gains ,the harder it is . Of interest to me is the present state of the Muslim religion. 600 years ago Christianity was in the same boat,with the Sunni and Shi-ites (Catholics and Protestants as then killing each other in the name of `God') and also killing innocents in the name of their god.

AlisonCC, # 37. I've still got the bible I was given when I started Grammar School in 1961 but in the County schools we had blue ones and from your photo I think they were quite a lot bigger. Inside is printed something like 'presented to the children of Nottinghamshire'

It's only a new Testament & Psalms Lizzie, not the whole Bible. The writing inside the cover was written at the time. Funny to think I wrote it 57 years ago.

indoctrinated at school by `Pop Calder (who on retirement became a vicar)

That name rings a very loud bell. Were you a Mundellian by chance? Strong recollection that the headmaster at Mundella in 1955 was a Mr Calder, but I could be wrong. Might be a name that sounded similar.

Must admit to being more spiritual than religious these days. A good friend, now deceased, used to finish her emails with a short prayer "Dear God, please protect me from your representatives on Earth", feel very much the same way. :)

I was at Mundella by great chance !!!!! 1 out of 140 kids in my year at Blue Bell Hill who passed the 11+ not much hope in those days. Although 2 of the most brilliant people I know(my wife was one) failed it! Yes Calder was headmaster a complete gentleman and scholar.

I was there from 1955 to 1960, Stan. You would have recognised some of the names in my Gideons New Testament. And here you are in Adelaide, bit of a move down - times been hard? :)

I have still got mine when I started Henry Mellish Grammar in 1964.

When I started at Fairham (Clifton) back in the mid 60's we were given a Gideon new testament and a small blue dictionary that we were suppose to keep in our inside pockets and during the first days there we had to write out a 7 day program of lessons that was to be kept in the outer breast pocket. just thought I would add my bit before the memory fails completely

Rog

Forgot to add, Mr Dobinson (English) abd Mr Burns (Maths) were very good teachers

• 2 years later...

I liked most of my teachers at Henry Whipple and Padstow,........Miss Blackborn gave me an American services issue Bible in 1951,bet there was a story behind that,that was in the infant Huts where High Pavement was later built..........in the Whipple juniors always remember Mr Wall nice man,on the football photo on here on the Bestwood estate topic,......then to Padstow all great teachers,...Mr Bond the Head,Mr Betts History,Miss Parkinson form teacher 2A,Mr Thomas Geography,Mr Fyles PE,Mr James science,Mr Yarwood Art,Mr Spiers Metalwork,Mr Smith Music,Mr Price Drama,.......and my favourite MrH.L.Taylor......RE,Maths and Football,

Be nice to think in years to come some of their desendants will read this.

• Upvote 2