What instruments do you play

Loppylugs, thanks for letting us enjoy your video. How you can do keyboard and pedals at the same time amazes me! Lovely church building, too - is that yours or the other one?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

E-yar, Carni. managed to find the link, Hadn't posted it. No wish to bore anybody, May bring back a memory or two. Still a bit slow and timing is not consistent. Vdeos really take you down a peg

As I wrote in #18 I played the flute with a group called Hawthorne, I remember on one occasion, I tried to do a Jethro Tulle and play standing on one leg, but gravity or too much beer, got the better

I can play the piano a bit

Lovely playing, loppylugs. I'm always in awe of people who can stir the soul by playing a musical instrument really well. And can read music too!

I've been learning the guitar since about 1968. And trying to bend a note on a harmonica for about the same time. Still, I have patience and I'm still working on it.

• Upvote 2

No, that's not my church. I attend a little Baptist church which has an old electronic organ. For regular services we have a good pianist. I play the occasional special number on the old organ, but it really needs to be replaced it's past its sell by date. The church on the video is a big Presbyterian church. One of their preachers lives near me and they very kindly allow an old Baptist to play their instrument any time I want. In fact they like it to be played during the week. It is good for it be used and you can't do it any harm.

I know some folks are not keen on organs, but if they are played well they can be very beautiful. I'm not there yet. I remember the days of Reginald Dixon. He used to play the theatre organ at the Blackpool tower ballroom. Very different sound to the church organ. My mother used to tell me of the organ at the Odeon cinema. I guess it used to rise out of the floor to play between films. I would love to have seen it.

Currently working on a piece of Bach's music it is VERY hard. I have learned the left hand, now working on adding the right hand and pedal. You learn each part and then try to add them together. Hopefully it will keep the dementia away. LOL.

I'll add it when it is fit to listen to.

And yes, that line from Abide with me always gets to me. "Change and decay in all around I see." So true.

• Upvote 4

Weren't those old cinema organs Wurlizters??

Sorry I got it wrong about the Church you were video'd playing the organ in Loppylugs. As you say it's very kind of them for allowing you to use the organ occasionally, and you help to keep it running smoothly. No matter where you were, it is a pleasure for us to hear your playing. We will be looking forward to your next update in the near future.

A different kind of Organ playing that I love to hear, is the one at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. I believe it is a Wurlizter,( but could be very wrong). There is a change of Organs every so often to give the players a break, with the change over happening on stage with some kind of drop, making the Organ descend out of sight and the new one appearing to replace it.

We have had the pleasure of Dancing to the Music of the Organist at Blackpool on four occasions and love the sound, much prefer it to a Big Band sound.

Yes carni, the Blackpool organ is a Wurlitzer. I don't think it's the original one, as played by Reginald Dixon. Wurlitzer theatre organs are very rare I believe and must be one of the most magnificent instruments ever produced.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't say tara mi duck, Michael. I only really posted these videos privately for family and a few friends. They wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Don't know if you have heard of Virgil Fox? He was a great organist, he's been dead for a few years now. He was also quite a showman. I thought. I would post his rendition of Bach's. "Come Sweet Death." I know that sounds morbid, but it is a masterpiece. Bach wrote it in the last years of his life. He died at 65. He had lost one wife in his early years and several children later. He was eventually blinded by some quack doctor who was trying to cure cataracts, I believe. So I guess he'd about had enough. To me this is music at its most moving. Whether we like it or not I don't think we can deny, it is powerful.

What I really like about it is that as well as some sadness there is a triumphant aspect to it.

I have a more simplified version of the sheet music for this and am working on it. I'll post it one of these days.

When I play it, I'm not sure if its the music or my poor playing of it that brings tears.

You might want to check it on You tube. I posted the link but then it tells me it can't be accessed on other websites. Grrrrrr! Sorry about that, I'll try again later.

Margie. #51. If you were referring to the other video. That was made on my home organ. Its a mid 80s Allen. Old technology now but still a nice sound. A new home organ starts at around $17,000. new. A bit out of my price range. :-)

• Upvote 1

Thats o-k Michael, so was I.

Anybody remember Sandy McPherson. (Spelling?) He used to play all kinds of theatre organ favorites on the old Light program back in the fifties.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember. He was never as good as Reginald Dixon though.

Guitar. Had a Shadows tribute band for years douing all sorts of gigs in and around Melbourne. Don't play much any more as the dreaded arthritis has got me.

This guy is not Virgil Fox. I couldn't get the video to link up but he plays a very similar performance. Probably won't live long enough to get to this guy's level.

If you have headphones you will get more out of this in the bass.

• Upvote 1

I play the ukulele not as good as George Formby (turned out nice again)every tuesday get together with a group of fellow psuedo musos play mostly blues a little Beatles,now starting to look at Tony Joe Whites Ice cream man and Polk Salad Annie.Blues and the uke is a bit out of the ordinary but it works quite well.

I have a ukulele but have never got around to learning anything other than the opening few bars of Something. Love the sound you can get from a ukulele.

I've not been to Athens, Georgia, Loppylugs, but my baseball bat has.

I know, I know, it's nothing to do with musical instruments!

DSCN1092_zpsvi6vqjew.jpg

Didn't know they made those here Chulla. Athens is not a big city probably 50,000 people, but its main claim to fame is the University of Georgia. One of the oldest univercities in the USA. It doubles the population through the school year. We sure see the difference on the roads between summer and winter. Nice enough town, but we live some twelve miles outside of it in the country. I would not like to live in a city anymore. Its close enough to be convenient and far enough away not to bother us with city problems. We are about 60 miles from Atlanta and thats the way I like it. Hardly ever go there.

• Upvote 1

They might not make them there anymore, Loppylugs. The bat I have says that it was made for the U S Army, so is probably a wartime one. It was found in the first house that we occupied after getting married.