What instruments do you play

I know Fynger is a Banjoist (is that a word? :-) ). Wondered what other folks played. I am learning organ, can get by on Piano and Harmonica. Can we get a Nottstalgia band together ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

E-yar, Carni. managed to find the link, Hadn't posted it. No wish to bore anybody, May bring back a memory or two. Still a bit slow and timing is not consistent. Vdeos really take you down a peg

As I wrote in #18 I played the flute with a group called Hawthorne, I remember on one occasion, I tried to do a Jethro Tulle and play standing on one leg, but gravity or too much beer, got the better

I can play the piano a bit

Well mine's fairly obvious really but I'm only a beginner, well about 3 years off and on, but I love it.

The extent of my musical career, is the triangle when in the infants, and some Izal toilet paper on a comb. I have always regretted not playing an instrument, the only choice we had at senior school was the violin and my mam said, no way, it sounds like you're standing on a cat's tail when you are learning it. Piano would be my choice.

• Upvote 1

I also played the paper and comb very well, but had to give it up as it made my mouth itch. lol, My other musical talents are hitting a variety of different tins and bottles with a wooden spoon, taught to me my granddaughter and not forgetting miming to the Music Man, at least there was no sound,(a blessing), so my musical talents are very limited. I mastered God Save Our Gracious Queen on the Recorder, and just about any thing on a Bazooka, but it all sounded like a wasp stuck in a tin, I stick to singing but even that scares people.

When I was in my teens I had proper lessons on piano and organ. I could read music, and organ-wise I could use the pedals as well as keyboard.

But I wonder how much I could remember now, as I haven't attempted anything like that for over 30 years. Maybe it's like riding a bike - you never really forget, just come unstuck occasionally.

:biggrin: My recommendation is go back to them both Cliff Ton. I left my piano for a while but now I'm well back and singing along as I make music; even thinking of joining a choir in my mature years - my voice is becoming stronger and that makes me happy............... :biggrin:

As a teenager was obsessed by the bass guitar but apart from playing along to records never did anything apart from one disastrous attempt with a band at a rehearsal at the Britannia club when I was about 17 . Still tend to listen to the bass part of a song even now .

I did buy a full size keyboard and had a few lessons in my 50s but unfortunately my teacher left for university and I never carried on . When I retired I was determined to teach myself and have numerous self help books but somehow I just haven't got down to it .

Recorder at school and violin, though I wanted to learn the clarinet. After 20 years of owning a piano for the girls to learn I at last took up lessons last year, (a project for the winter months when I'm home and not working). Quite pleased with my progress, though I have the background of being able to read music and knowing which keys are which. I also have a triangle!!!

Once auditioned for a skiffle band, I was using me mum's washing board. Much much later bought a classical guitar and took lessons for nearly three years. Doing well but then relocated from South Africa to Australia, and was unable to find a good teacher so gave it up. Dug out my instrument and started practising four years ago, but osteoarthritis in my left hand put an end to it.

I have a melodeon that I used to bash out a few Morris tunes on. Haven't played it for many years now though. Being very hard of hearing it is difficult to know when you are hitting bum gnotes :(

carnt sing carnt play anything i am tone deaf when it comes to me but love to listen to music and know when its good or bad and can be very critical if i hear crap singer or band but then again i might just go and audition for britains got talent carnt be any worse than some ofthe crap they put through you never know i might get the sympathy vote

LOL Like Beefy yesterday I nearly spit my tea onto my keyboard. Big difference between a Bouziki and a bazooka. Of course you realize that the powers that be are probably now watching all our posts. They will think we are trading weapons. :laughing:

I like folk music, and I played flute in a band called Hawthorn that used to do a circuit around the universitys and a few pubs and folk clubs, in the 1970's, mainly in Leicestershire.

I played the drums for years, but never made the big time.Joined a few bands back in the day,as the band started to sound decent,the old triple came into play,booze, dope, and big egos.

I gave up the idea of being the next Ginger Baker.When I left for the States,my youngest son inherited the drum kit.

Now I am in my 3rd childhood,I often toy with the idea of buying a second hand set of drums.

If you want to start a band Dave, what will you call it? I'm sure the members could come up with a name. :)

Probably call ourselves the arthritic rockers or something. Be difficult to get everybody in the same place anyway. Just a fun thought. Be fun thinking of a few names anyway.

Methinks Carni really meant the Kazoo !

Me ? I tried the Cornet , Mum even bought me one , but I've got the musical ear of Van Gogh when it comes to instruments. I was always a good (ish) singer though, and a fair old drummer in the boy scouts .

Our Charlotte on the other hand is now the proud owner of her own Clarinet AND Flute, she tried the flute for the first time on Moday and took to it like a duck to water, regardless of the fact they are played totally different to each other, so her very proud Grandad bought it for her ! (He was in nearly as many tears of pride as me at Bridgewater hall a couple of weeks back !)

I can barely play a note on either.

Synthesizers, piano Guitar. pots and pans. De Da Pete.