Why did seaside chips taste different?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's a long way to go but if you ever visit Weymouth, Bennett's on the waterfront do superb fish & chips. We have a chippy here in Daventry called Trawlers which takes some beating too.

Remember how back in the 60s at Goose Fair time the pubs were allowed a half hour extension to the normal 10:30 last orders deadline.  I have very fond memories of The Grosvenor in the late 60s.

Wouldn't dare ask my local butcher if he keeps dripping.

It's the 'fresh' air affecting your tastebuds. There's less 'outside influences' affecting the processing of the smells/tastes. The clearer your taste buds the better you taste things ( By that I don't mean they taste 'better' I mean you can taste things better!)

Incidentally 'smell and taste' are intrinsically linked . IF you hold your nose and close your eyes , then chew a piece of apple then a piece of onion they'll 'taste' very much the same. Go on try it.

My dad used to treat us occasionally to a Stapleford chippy bag of chips. The shop cooked in dripping and gave a distinctive smell and taste to the chips.

Maybe it was all the 'sea air' that made the taste seem different.Back in the 50s' Nottingham had its share of industrial pollution, and that most of the fish and chips were fried in lard.

Pre-salted?

They taste better because the mainly use beef lard not poncey sunflower oil!

It's a good sprinkling of sand that makes the difference. Adds that gritty texture. Remember a few occasions when the wind was coming in across the North Sea, and everything we ate was covered in wind-blown sand. Helps clean your teeth.

Here in oz we struggle to get any decent chips, most if not all use prepacked frozen chips, which are nothing like the real thing.

The fish batter does not seem to retain its crunchyness either like the english chippies do.

As said probably the sunflower or canola oil they use predominently here.

Whilst in the uk last we had just the best fish and chips, once in Cleethorpes and once in Matlock bath of all places. Haddock, chips and mushy peas, loads of salt and malt vinegar, god my mouths watering writing this.

Real potatoes, chipped in the shop, fresh fish and cooked to perfection.

It's a good sprinkling of sand that makes the difference. Adds that gritty texture. Remember a few occasions when the wind was coming in across the North Sea, and everything we ate was covered in wind-blown sand. Helps clean your teeth.

Is that why they call them sandwiches?

Rude tip of the day: NEVER perform a sexual act on a Lincolnshire beach! Think wind, sand, irritation and soreness.

Food tip of the day: NEVER attempt to eat food on a Lincolnshire beach! Think wind, sand, worn teeth and doggy doo.

I don't think there are many chipies using lard any more. I seem to remember reading (perhaps here) that there was only one left in the U.K.!

Re#15. Spuds are just spuds.

By god sir that's heresy. For new spuds try Red Duke of York or Lady Christl or if you like weird Purple Majesty.

Chips try Lady Christl left in the ground to grow on or Picasso.

You can't buy em in the shops so will have to grow them yourself but never again will you say 'spuds are just spuds'.

Colin

Spuds aint spuds, some spuds just soak the oil or fat up and are like greasy limp socks....

Never could make decent chips from King Edward tators, they were always limp.

I use corn oil or peanut oil, canola has been linked to heart disease.

It's now safe to eat lard and dripping, the Docs say we aren't getting enough animal fats in our diets.....LOL

And taking about frying foods, the best doughnuts I ever tasted was from a feller with a concession stand in Toronga Park Zoo in Sydney, traditional doughnuts fried in fat, drained and dusted liberally with powdered sugar.....DELICIOUS!!!!

There were a few chip shops in Wollongong and Sydney, some good, most mediocre...Best 3 course down under is a hot meat pie from a bakery that makes them with a couple of cold tinnies!!

• Upvote 1

Russets are the best chipping tators over here, but must be fresh, I found as they age, they tend to go "sweet" in taste and go soggy...

Wiljars and some that begin with 'M' (buggered if I can remember the name at the mo) are reckoned to be the best ( by my local chippy , and their chips are great)