Old school books

Sisson and Parker, was the standard exercise book at Bingham Toothill secondary modern in the 60s and at Langar CofE.

I used to love walking around their book shop and stationers, I still have my collection of observer books, I got from there with my pocket money.

The first day of any term always had a lingering smell of new books and chalk and then there was always the job of covering the books, sometimes with brown paper, sometimes with wallpaper, before carefully writing name and form. There was a sort of excitement about it but it soon wore off.

Thanks to a Mother who was the opposite of a squirrel hiding nuts, all my books and memories were consigned to the dustbin years ago.I remember in particular some Indian Ink drawings I did of my pet birds...took me hours,and they were absolutely brilliant and detailed....even if I do say so myself...I do wish I still had those,certainly the best drawings I've ever done.

Sisson and Parker had a warehouse Union Road way...and I remember their sign on the building announced that they sold stationAry...How the heck the bosses there didn't notice the spelling and play hell with the signwriters was a mystery to me.

As for the 'Observers' books...a birthday pressy of the Book of Birds age 8 gave me a lifetime interest in birds and wildlife.

• Upvote 1

Sisson and Parker had a warehouse Union Road way...and I remember their sign on the building announced that they sold stationAry...

They were planning on staying there a long time.

I have always wished i had school books to look back on , but all i have are a few infant school reports, which showed promise, no idea what happened at senior school it seems i just lost interest. The only book i remember at All Hallows infant school Gedling, was our first writing book titled Busy Book, i can see it in my minds eye, not sure of the color though, i think it was blue or grey. in which we recorded mainly things about our home life, especially after the weekend, in a way almost like a diary. As i got older i recall some one saying, it was the school's way of finding out about our home life? One thing i do wish is that i had taken in more English, my favorite subject, my gramer

and pronunciation and as you see, spelling have almost disappeared, it does sadden me that over time i have let this slip, i know some people would think it is not important today, but when i read back things i have written, here on Nottstalga i see how much better it would look if it was written properly. One of my favorite books is a Dictionary, i can just sit and randomly open pages and enjoy reading, very educational as well. I have always said that i love words but just can't spell them. Well i can spell them, its THEM, thought i'd better get that one in.

Hi Poohbear

I remember 20 odd years ago you when you showed me that small depressed parrot that you had adopted that managed to pull out all its own feathers what ever happened to him? I also recall you telling me about the very small parrot you had as a child that would follow you everywhere. Do you still have the outdoor aviaries like the ones you had in Arnold?

what about janet and john reading books think a lot of us had them to start our reading life at scool.

carnie children still have to write what they did over the weekend or in the holiday reminds me of a funny little story i was told on sunday at mfn by my little friend freye age 6 grandad while they were collecting for the rainbow childrens hospis she had writen in her book that she had been helping him do some diy he had been putting up a daydo rail in the living room she hadpuy putting up a dildo rail i can just imagine her teacher trying to keep a straight face as she read it.

On 11/09/2013 at 8:01 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Forgot I ever had this, but we all had them. From Greencroft Junior School in the 1960s, when everything was Sisson and Parker.

qAOi7xx.jpg

That isn't a school book . Where's the wallpaper covering it?

Piggy and Babs #10

Thank you for reminding me of the Janet and John books, they were probably the ones we had as well. I Have to say little Freye's story of the DIY gives quite a picture in the imagination. yada Lol

Piggy and Babs. My dads old neighbor was a supply teacher in an infant school. The children there used to have to write in their diaries every Monday what they did at the weekend. She told me that one little girl wrote "Every Friday night, Daddy comes home from work and gives my mummy some Pennies". Except she didn't spell pennies like that.

Oh. And thanks for reminding me of Janet and John. They were good books for teaching children to read. I think in Geography at secondary school we had text books by Ward and Lock.

Started serious reading with Worzel Gummidge books from the public library on Wilford Grove - age11. When I say "serious" it was entirely of my own volition. Wasn't being told to read them by a Teach..

I buy a lot of second hand/used books.

A recent purchase has stamped inside "Sherwood Hall Technical Grammar School For Boys Mansfield" last(only) issue January 1971.

I also have many ex library books

#12 Beefsteak. We didn't cover our books until we got to the Secondary School. That was an infant and junior book! :unsure:

To misquote Robert Duval "I love the smell of new school exercise books in the morning".

There was something magical about starting a new school year with a clean slate, so to speak.

Each subject had its own colour: Biology: light green; Chemistry: mid-blue; English: brown; French: red; Geography; orange; History; dark green; Latin: yellow; Maths: grey; Physics; dark blue; RE: buff.

One master insisted we write on the top line of each page because, according to him, failure to do so was a waste of good paper. I believe he was a very early mentalist environmentalist.

And of course the cardinal sin was to do your prep in ball point. Only a fountain pen would do.

I don't ever remember Janet and John reading books, did they publish them in the early 50's??? I can recall learning to read phonetically, then progressing to newspapers..

It often makes me wonder how people who can't read or write manage in day to day life?? I've met one in my travels..

Reminds me of a story about a Turk I worked with...I remarked to him one day how good his English was, absolutely flawless and without a hint of accent.

He was a young bloke in his mid twenties, and had followed his Sister to the UK to work in the early 1970's.

He told me when he first arrived he was so proud to have found work and a flat without any help, he couldn't speak a word of English back then...

His Sister visited him as she was worried he might not be looking after himself properly, checked his food cupboards and asked him about his dog!!

"Dog??? I have no dog" "How come you have canned dog meat then"???

He said he enrolled in an English course that week, "Damned if I was eating dog meat again" he said...

I remember the Janet and John books at Ashwell Street Infants School. There are two stories from the books that I clearly remember ........ Billy Goat Gruffs wanting to get to greener pastures and Chicken Licken getting very concerned because he thought that the sky was falling on his head.

I still have a few school exercise books from Infant, Junior and Senior Schools ..... but I was very selective when it came to deciding which books I saved ...... just the ones with good marks and teacher remarks! All these books are tucked away in the back of a cupboard in my old school leather satchel (the style that has recently become very fashionable in bright colours with the young and trendy). Also in this 50+ year old tan leather satchel is my school tie, scarf and the badge off my blazer .... my school beret was thrown over a hedge on the way to the school bus at the end of the 4th year :rolleyes:

#12 Beefsteak. We didn't cover our books until we got to the Secondary School. That was an infant and junior book! :unsure:

Your school obviously "Must try harder"................................. slywink

I don't think I saved any school books, if I did, they got lost in the many moves we did and two overseas moves...

I know I left all my tech college folders and text books in the UK when I left in 79, I did keep important trade papers...Many of my old authorizations have vanished too, the only ones I seem to have are from my last appointment at Angus Place Colliery in NSW Oz, no idea what happened to all the rest.

Again, I blame it on the moving around I've done over the years.

:biggrin: Wished I'd had the foresight to have saved some of my school books but to be honest I was relieved to leave school: the constant hard work, plus the cold sores through being run down - sitting O' levels.

Even more so, I wished I'd saved my School Magazines because I was a regular contributor; would be nice to be able to look back on some of my early written work.

When it came to decorating school books (and school bags) the main feature I remember were either football teams and their individual players, or the names of groups and singers.

In my Fairham days, the main names on books and bags were the likes of Dylan, Cream and Hendrix. To be different (and because I liked them) I went for Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and the Moody Blues.

Cliff, re #24, Moody Blues - you obviously have good musical taste !!

I was at Grammar school 1958 - 63, and used an RAF pack (Wakefield Army Stores best) for carrying all my paraphernalia and was decorated with my painting of Top Cat cartoons, must have been "a thing" at the time !!