5p Charge for carrier bags !

Now I'm all for the environment and all that, but I'm not too chuffed at being charged an extra 5p for a carrier bag.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5p-charge-plastic-carrier-bags-214211885.html#44Q7S7n

I've been using "life long" store bags for years, but every now and then we go without them, and as I always nip in the store in the week (On my way to work, or fishing etc ) to collect lunch, or something for dinner that night, I don't always have them with me, and I know it sounds 'tight', but (for arguments sake) an extra 50p each week is 26 quid a year!

It's not like we just throw them away either, I use them to put my lunch in when I'm off fishing, and when I've been fishing to collect all the other detritus that the idle 'anglers' have left behind, they also fit perfectly as bin liners in one of our kitchen bins. So they don't ever,ever, end up as a 'rubbish' which is what 'Our glorious leaders' would have us think. I'm pretty damned sure every body else uses them in similar ways.

I know that from now on, I'll just put my butties in my tackle box , then leave all the other crap that I find behind, to pollute the environment, I'll also put all my rubbish straight into my dustbin leaving them with a lorry full of loose crap that then blows all over the place at the end of the day !!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

We have a few stores been doing that over here for a while now, Target is one, where they charge 10c (15p) a bag !, and the bags are those self destruct things that die and fall apart on their own after a few weeks, so cannot be used again, unless used quickly.

We also have a recycling bin in most supermarkets to place unwanted bags.

We actually use them for all sorts of things from putting rubbish in to picking up our doggy poo.

And I have one of those long handled rubbish pick up things that I regularly go around camps here and do my bit to remove some of the other sad buggers rubbish they just throw on the ground thinking it will vanish on its own, and use the bags to put it in.

We have a big problem here with foreign backpackers, (sorry yes most are from europe) they hire or buy a cheap bomb and drive around this beatifull country leaving a trail of used toilet paper and other rubbish.

And yes I have seen it often.

I saw one group at a fish cleaning table near the beach early in the morning, all taking it in turns to have a shower up on the table using the table cleaning water faucet !

This was rather than go into a toilet block and pay $2 for a hot shower. (lots of beach areas have hot and cold showers for a small fee, some are free)

After they had gone I walked over and picked up two bags full of various rubbish they had discarded, and yes including used toilet paper ! from where the "girls " had squatted in the ajacent BBQ enclosure ! disgusting !

Sorry to rant but it is one of my pet hates with these individuals.

Not taken as a rant, just as an observation.

We have the facilities to produce biodegradable carriers from potato starch, we've had it since the 60's too! Why doesn't it get used?

That's a rhetorical question by the way.

Dont know what the answer is really, Ii do know that sometimes these degradeable bags fall apart a bit quick ! sometimes before you have finished shopping.

My wife hates them so now uses either our own cloth bags or recycles the plastic ones as many times as possible before retiring to the bin, usually full of rubbish or recyclables in the recycle bin obviously.

My sis lives in Southern Ireland where they have been charging a levy on bags for years . She says its not a problem , you just get in the habit of taking bags with you , same as remembering to take your wallet .

I always keep one of those massive polyprop IKEA bags in the car and can get most of our weekly Aldi goods in one of those . If we are just after a few bits in there and have forgotten the bag, just do a bit of re-merchandising for them and grab an empty carton off the shelf.

My mother & sister live in Wales too and it's the same they just remember to take a bag with them

Just a note we have quite a few Hessian/cloth bags given away by various organisations and have not paid for any .

The hessian bags are OK, but once filled with a 4 pint bottle of milk, fruit juice, beans, jam, etc old people tend to struggle with them.

The ordinary bags we use when we do a car boot sale .

But that's a weight problem & not a bag problem just use two bags.(a question of balance ;))

most supermarkets (not Aldi) will deliver "IF" you spend more than a certain amount

We often shop on line with Sainsbury's & have the stuff delivered when we want it & can also return any unwanted bags from a previous delivery if we so wish.

Now I'm all for the environment and all that, but I'm not too chuffed at being charged an extra 5p for a carrier bag.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5p-charge-plastic-carrier-bags-214211885.html#44Q7S7n

I've been using "life long" store bags for years, but every now and then we go without them, and as I always nip in the store in the week (On my way to work, or fishing etc ) to collect lunch, or something for dinner that night, I don't always have them with me, and I know it sounds 'tight', but (for arguments sake) an extra 50p each week is 26 quid a year!

It's not like we just throw them away either, I use them to put my lunch in when I'm off fishing, and when I've been fishing to collect all the other detritus that the idle 'anglers' have left behind, they also fit perfectly as bin liners in one of our kitchen bins. So they don't ever,ever, end up as a 'rubbish' which is what 'Our glorious leaders' would have us think. I'm pretty damned sure every body else uses them in similar ways.

I know that from now on, I'll just put my butties in my tackle box , then leave all the other crap that I find behind, to pollute the environment, I'll also put all my rubbish straight into my dustbin leaving them with a lorry full of loose crap that then blows all over the place at the end of the day !!

We use our bags in similar ways. If we didn't use them we'd have to buy bags for the same purposes, so it makes me wonder how many of our leaders have an interest in manufacturing bags.

We use the plastic bags for bin liners too, ones with small holes or that fall apart get used as ties for the tomato vines, I cut the bag into strips first.... Eventually they break down in the sun, but seem to last the growing season..

So far they are free, and getting smaller each year too!!

If they wanted to charge me for their carrier bags, I'd ask for a plain one. That would throw them, as they all have their company names on. Why pay to advertise their shop?

• Upvote 1

You've got to hand it to the Lib Dems. They've really got their finger on the pulse.

All this nonsense other people go on about - the economy, rising bills, poor standard of living, tuition fees, immigration.

Let's focus instead on important things:

Plastic bag tax.

• Upvote 1

The other side of the coin is co-op, who don't charge for bags, but invariably every time I buy a single item: newspaper or sandwich etc, if I don't let the till person know, they just put the single item straight into a plastic carrier bag, Where's the sense???????? this isn't on main check outs of course.................

• Upvote 1

shilling.jpg That is how much you will be paying for a plastic bag........ A bob or 1 shilling. :laugh:

Over here when we go to a supermarket we have to take our bags with us, they stopped giving plastic bags away about 3 years ago, in the beginning it was a pain in the neck having to take bags every time we went shopping, but now it is just habit,

The problem I have is remembering to take the flaming things !! (We've probably got at least 10 of them!)

• Upvote 1

I always keep one in my coat pocket all I have to do is remember to put it back if I have used it.

And if you only want one bag for one visit to the supermarket what's an extra 5p when you've spent £25?

Some of the supermarkets have a facility to recycle your bags, so why can't we as their customers just take one of these if we have forgotten to take a bag with us. We always keep a selection of bags for life in our car, and one by the door if we're just walking to the shops for something.