Buried, burnt, eaten, frozen or donated to science.

I did like the idea of what is known as an "Ariel Burial" where your body is taken to the top of a big mountain, cut up and thrown to the Condors to feed on. But there ain't many big mountains round here , now I come to think about it there ain't that many Condors either.

Ah, "it's that Condor moment" :)

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't like to be buried for my family's sake. Can cause lots of guilt unless they are going to visit and tend to the grave for however many years they have left. And what for?? For me ashes sprinkled near a certain bench in Colwick Woods where I spent happy times as a kid, and where me & the missus used to sit when we were courtin' 50 odd years ago.

My dad died early last year. He was cremated and we put most of his ashes with mum's on the rose garden at Wilford Hill. The rest, about an eggcup full, we brought back here to Thailand. They are now in a nice urn, on a shelf standing in front of a photo of dad. Sometimes we hang a little garland of flowers on the shelf, and on his birthday last week I put a tot of rum there for him. And with the rum evaporating a bit over the past few days it looks like he's been sipping it too!

In Thailand nearly all bodies are cremated, and many temples have a crematorium in the temple grounds. There are sometimes niches in the walls of the temples where ashes can be placed and the niche is then cemented over and a photo of the loved one and their dates of birth and death are stuck to the cement.

Once a year, at the old Thai new year in the middle of April, we go to my wife's village temple and wash the Buddha images, which are brought out and displayed for that purpose, then we go to the niche containing her grandparent's ashes in the temple wall and clean it and she tells them all the news in the village.

Funeral's in a Thai village are a communal affair and nearly everybody goes. The body of the deceased will have been kept in an ornate refrigerated coffin (hired from the temple) for a few days so everybody can come when they can to pay their respects to the dead person and put joss sticks at the coffin. On the day of the funeral the coffin is loaded on a pick up truck which drives slowly round the village and people tack themselves on the end to form a procession which then goes to the village temple.

There, the close family sit separately and everybody goes and pays their respect to them then sits down under the awning to protect them from the sun, with the important visitors sitting at the front on a settee. Bottles of water are handed out as necessary as it's hot. The monks are chanting and it's very much a social occassion. Everybody is then given a little piece of palm leaf very reminiscent of what we used to receive as kids on Palm Sunday, and sometimes a flower too. We all troop up the steps of the crematorium and place these leaves and flowers on the coffin. Sometimes at the bottom of the steps on the way down a family member is giving out a little handbook with a summary of the life of the deceased listing their marriage, children and achievements, and photos. For some reason, and I don't know why, a tea tray of small coins individually wrapped in coloured tissue paper is trown in the air and the local kids scramble to get them. The coffin is then slid inside the crematorium and that's it. People drift away chatting to friends. Death is a part of daily life, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Me owd man sed: " I want ter be chucked in a barrel a Shippos when I'm gone ". Sorry Dad, but we put yer up Wilford 'ill instead!!!

• Upvote 1

Were awaiting confirmation at a church that means alot to me and some of the family for a small stone to be placed for his memory. he never mentioned being scattered somewhere, just cremated so the worms and other bugs didnt chomp away at him. His ashes will be around the stone so that when we go to see him, he'll be there.

• 3 years later...

My granddad's wish was to be cremated, but his sister talked my grandma out of it and he was buried. His prophesy was that more people caught their death of cold as he called it by taking flowers to a cemetery in winter. My grandma had more colds and chest problems after he'd gone so perhaps he had a point after all.

• Upvote 1

I've been reliably informed that I'm going to be cremated at Bramcote, then my ashes interred at the Northern Cemetery in Bulwell. 

Marvellous, well that's cheered me up no end. 

• Upvote 1

At one of our quarries on the Notts/Lincs border we donated some undug woodland to the local woodland trust,they applied to have "Green Burials" and it was granted so many a year,there was one a few months ago,wicker casket,in the woodland at the side of a tree,family all around for the internment on the edge of the quarry loading yard with reverse bleepers sounding as the lorries were being loaded,the sound of earth moving machine engines revving away carrying on with business as usual,what a bizzare site that was I can tell you, On a different note,apparently you can have your ashes  thrown in the fire box of a steam loco on some preserved/heritage railways,you are then blown through the fire tubes and out through the chimney all over the surrounding countryside (different)

Rog

Not just yet, I hope FLY!

Quite a number of my lot are interred in the Northern Cemetery. Maternal great grandparents, Sam and Lizzie, maternal great aunt, Minnie Cordelia and maternal grandparents Louis and Edith. Lizzie, Sam and Minnie didn't get on with Louis so they probably wouldn't approve of him sharing their plot! The others are all in the Nottingham Road cemetery in Basford!

They can do what they like with my carcase when the time comes! I plan to be setting up a cats home somewhere in the ether, having first put up a large sign to the effect that those with 2 legs and no wings are not welcome, unless invited!  ;)

• Upvote 1

Living in Thailand cremation is the norm.  Most temples here  have a crematoria attached.  They charge foreigners extra because we are bigger than the locals and take more gas to reduce to ashes!

Don't leave your body out for the pikies to get rid of or you'll end up in a ditch somewhere in the countryside

Rog

• Upvote 1