Going for the rations

Here's a topic to exercise some older grey cells. Rationing. My Mum still used the phrase "going for the rations" ie. food shopping, right up untl she passed away in the late eighties, even though she had lived in Australia for thirty five years.

I remember being sent to the butchers, ration book in hand, to get some sausages. If I remember correctly each family would have to collect their ration book from the Post Office at monthly? intervals, and a grocer would tear out dockets for the goods they had supplied. But memories are getting very hazy. Anyone able to add their memories of rationing and how it worked?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we used to get chicken giblets that didn't require a ration coupon, and were very cheap - big bag for a shilling. Chicken necks, livers, kidneys, stomachs, etc. The stomachs had to be skinned

I remember it well!! As a young kid I joyfully went to get my monthly sweet ration and duly handed over my precious coupon which was cut out of the ration book. What a joy in about 1950 that I was a

#47 Sounds like the same stuff, carni. I can't remember much apart from the great taste and the fact that it was in something like clear medicine bottles. This would be latter fifties.

I remember it well!! As a young kid I joyfully went to get my monthly sweet ration and duly handed over my precious coupon which was cut out of the ration book. What a joy in about 1950 that I was able to buy my 1st bar of chocolate without the infernal coupon.

Little wonder there were no fat kids in my generation.

There were coupons for everything in those days including clothes.

• Upvote 2

I remember going to what Mam called the 'Food Office' on Burton Road, just round from Dr Parks Corner for baby formula and orange juice and i think also Cod Liver Oil and Malt, she had a little book for that. I can't remember what a ration book looks like but i have a feeling she used them, Has anyone got a photograph of one to remind me. I am thinking back to around 1950ish, would they still be around and in use then.

• Upvote 1

None of the modern day 'eating disorders' either.

anorexia nervosa and bulimia?

I don't recall children at school having so many food allergies either as there seem to be nowadays

• Upvote 1

We always had good appetites as kids (no sitting in front of the computer) not much traffic so we were out playing all day.Because of the war time rations our Mam's new how to make the best of very little, so plenty of home grown veg , swapped around with what ever the neighbors had. I can't remember any one having food allergies, probably as there wasn't so many additives in those days. Some of the meat we ate would be considered unhealthy today because of the high fat content, like Breast Of Lamb, Chitterlings etc no fat was ever cut off Stewing Steak, mixed with lights to make it go further, that's when Mam could afford it. One of my favourite cheap meals was what Mam called Pea Soup made with Pork Bones, absolutely delicious and Mam said some times the butcher gave them away free with his customers orders. I remember going into the shop on Main Road Gedling,I think it was Marsdens and standing in line at the individual counters around 1950s, would the ration books still be used then, I feel like i can remember seeing Mam use one, but it could be my memory playing tricks.

• Upvote 2

Some of the meat we ate would be considered unhealthy today because of the high fat content, like Breast Of Lamb, Chitterlings etc no fat was ever cut off Stewing Steak, mixed with lights to make it go further, that's when Mam could afford it. One of my favourite cheap meals was what Mam called Pea Soup made with Pork Bones, absolutely delicious and Mam said some times the butcher gave them away free with his customers orders

I think we used to get chicken giblets that didn't require a ration coupon, and were very cheap - big bag for a shilling. Chicken necks, livers, kidneys, stomachs, etc. The stomachs had to be skinned - remove inner layer. Chicken necks, when cooked slowly for a long time, were such that the bones were soft enough to crunch, so the whole neck was eaten. Giblet stew with lots of vegies was magic. Mix also included the Pope's nose. The sticky out bit above it's bottom. Whilst it was mainly fat it added to the overall flavour.

PS. For us kids absolute heaven was giblet stew with suet dumplings, and there was always enough so you could to eat until you nearly burst.

• Upvote 3

We had a Marsdens in Daybrook Carni. It was at the bootom of St Alban's Road in a block of shops.

I still have my ration book (I was born in 1951) issued for 1953/54. It has coupons for meat, eggs, cheese, bacon, sugar, milk, orange juice and (wait for it), cod liver oil! It also has pages for "Personal Points" which are labelled "Sweets". Coupons have been removed from each category (including cod liver oil) EXCEPT the "sweets"! Mum must have been concerned about my teeth!

I can scan parts of it if anybody is interested.

Thanks every one for the posts you have all come back with, Sounds like most of us were in the same boat in our childhood. :P

DavidW, Bloomin' Eck, I thought there was only a couple of styles, You certainly answered my question about the Ration books, Brilliant, thanks for your enthusiasm, yep, I do remember them, well some of them anyway. :rolleyes: :)

Compo, perhaps the Marsdons at Daybrook were all the same family, I never went to that one, no car in those days. :biggrin:

Marsdens was a chain of grocery shops, in the style of Home and Colonial and Liptrots, and were spread throughout the City and surrounds. I don't know if they were a local midlands company or nationwide. Anyone know

The one I remember in Ruddington closed in the early 60's along with the whole company I believe.

Just done a quick scan and it seems J.D. Marsdens were a large local chain in the 30s and 40s, advertising 60 shops all around the Notts area . I have seen refs to branches in Arnold, Carlton ,Milton St , Mansfield and as far as Matlock amongst others .

Joseph Derbyshire Marsden is on the 1881 Census , aged 22 , born in Wensby ? Derbyshire (on later Census born S..Darley ) .

Even at that young age of 22 is running a grocers and living at 35 Woodborough Rd .Nottingham .

Advert from 1935

11209053864_3c66ff6df7_z.jpg

By the time I joined Marsdens - they comprised of Marsdens, Farrands, Vernons Price Down, G Favours, and another one I can't remember, the last two operating in the south.

The Vernons Price Downs were converted from Marden and Farrand shops that were not doing so well. They were cheap and cheerful, limited range of foods, but cheaper than the others.

The ones I worked at were at St Anns Well Road (opposite Cathcart Street on the corner), and Radford Boulevard.

The shops inspector, a Scotsman, used to roll his sleeves up and help with the menial tasks if we were short handed. Often he would help with weighing and packing the lard or butter - While smoking his pipe!

Ah.. memories.. thanks for reminding me Commo. Take care.

Oh.. I've remembered the other name they traded under Bristows!

AlisonCC, post # 8. Your ration diet sounds absolutely GROSS to me!! Thank goodness I was born in 1949, lol.

Not so sure about nowadays with the stuff they feed chickens, but back then chicken liver, kidneys and necks were yummy. Never a big fan of tripe but even now love my liver and bacon in onion gravy (lambs liver preferably). Still buy chicken necks to cook slowly. Never eat chicken breasts - tasteless, need all sorts of gooey sauces to make them edible. Meat on the bone always has more flavour.

Like Limey, I was born in 51 and still have my ration books. Even got my ID card.

When my mum died, my Dad gave me all her old cookery books. I looked through them and found all sorts of cuttings from the Daily Mirror during the war showing you how to make the best of available food. I think I'll have a rummage to see if I can find them

I was the delivery boy at Marsdens on Mapperley tops for a while, mentioned elswhere here I used to ride one of those situp and beg bikes with the big basket on the front, weighed a ton to me when loaded with groceries and I used to dread having to go down Breckhill road or down the big hills Carlton side of Woodborough road, as I had to push the bloody thing back up the hill ! still heavy empty.

Stan. It might be what Nottstalgia is about but the reality is it probably all tasted like c--p .LOL. Mind you, despite the fact that my mum was a good cook, I did not like cauliflower cheese. I had to eat it because there was nowt else.