sweet dreams and strange names

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alpine was another pop firm that delivered, there was a Polish guy worked there Mr Dropusabottlapopov.

Compo's description of cigarette type packets reminded me of Cadbury Flat Twenties, individual pieces of choccy a la Neopolitans, in silver paper, inside a cardboard slide packet, both in Dairy Milk a

Ref #83 "NOTICE : Will customers please NOT sit by the bacon slicing machine, as we are getting behind with our orders"

Yes, liquorice wood, or Spanish root we called it. I tasted some a while back and it was rotten. Did anyone else eat pitch? I seem to remember eating the chips of it from large blocks used for road mending. I hope to be resurfaced soon.

Got me memory stimulted with this post.

I still chew on liquorice roots nowadays. I get em from Holland and Barret, or even cheaper from the toffee shop on Carrington Street near the new Sainsburys shop. I think someone once told me they were good for me?

Dad used to scrounge pitch (tar he called it) when we passed any roadworks, with the watchman sat in his little box with his brazier burning away, and keeping an eye on the level of fuel in his lamps.

He's get out his trusty penknife and cut a few blocks for me chew and suck on.

I wonder if it is made of the same stuff nowadays?

Cheers.

Fry's Five Boys chocolate bar, Spangles and Treets were amongst my favourites - although mostly only viewed on the counter or in the windows.

I recall trying some Horlicks tablets one... ergh!

TTFN

Tizer i think they still make that i think it now comes under the Barrs label with Iron bru

Yes, it's made by Barrs now - you can buy multipacks of the cans in Tesco. It's not as red as it used to be - more like the colour of Lucozade.

If I remember right, Tizer used to be made by whichever company it was who made a brand of orangeade called Jusoda.

Re #23, still buy both makes of potted dog, and I loved Horlicks tablets !! (Sorry TGC!)

I think it was psychosomatic my not liking Horlicks tablets. When I had double pneumonia, I remember Dad thinking they would be good for me?

Cheers.

cake shop in worthing called julie scrumptious, and in lancing, a carpet shop called walter wall. [sorry can't do capitals, pecking away with 1 finger]

Bought some not long ago in out local chemist.

Thanks Fynger I'll get Helen to try the chemists next time she's in town, I've already tried Boots in Bulwell but the sales assistant had never heard of them

That shop was bettys later to becme Roy and Arches they also had the shop on the corner of bathley st and arkwright st cafe and shop they formed SandA Removals when the meadows was demolished them chocolate logs were lovely i think you can still get them

Andy, re #33, I can give lie to the fact that with Marmite you either love it or hate it 'cos I can take it or leave it.

School milk was OK as long as it was cold, but usually it was warm in Summer, and in winter for some sadistic reason the crates were stacked in front of the hot water pipes, so the main reason for having to drink it was to be able to flick the bottle tops as flying saucers.

Have to say I liked semolina milk pudding, as long as there was a good dollop of jam or golden syrup in it.

If you've never had Horlicks tablets you've never lived ! :sickly:

• Upvote 1