• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fast becoming a knackered old git, I remember snow and freezing temperatures a few years after WWII, temperatures which today make folk shiver with cold and shock. Who amongst us remembers scraping ic

Pity you plan on getting rid of your Fergie, you’ll regret it.   When we moved up here 20 years ago we sold our 1947 Fergie that my husband and son had completely overhauled and used in our fields.

I’ve been working outside on my old grey Fergie tractor. The weather’s most unpleasant. The tractor’s been standing outside since before lockdown and I’ve managed to remove the green mould. It was run

My mum always used to sprinkle a little sugar on sliced tomatoes, add a little pepper on strawberries and always had sliced cucumber in vinegar. 

Any fruit and veg that you grow yourself always tastes better than shop bought. A classic example is strawberries. Those huge ones from supermarkets are awful, give me a smaller sweeter home grown one any day of the week. The storage and carbon footprint on shop produce takes the flavour away. I grow melons in my greenhouse and although small they are like nectar. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My grandmother used to sprinkle sugar on a salad. I didn’t get that.

Our local strawberry growers, Starkey’s in Southwell, have dug up their strawberry beds as they can no longer get the cheap foreign labour to pick them.

Mrs P trying to catch snowflakes, Edinburgh Christmas day 2009

2009-1228-Scotland20090016.jpg

Twas cold, windy and snowy

Rog

• Upvote 1
On 4/26/2024 at 9:57 AM, philmayfield said:

My grandmother used to sprinkle sugar on a salad. I didn’t get that.

Our local strawberry growers, Starkey’s in Southwell, have dug up their strawberry beds as they can no longer get the cheap foreign labour to pick them.

Brexit once again

We are getting concerned with the weather too. It’s cold ( freezing too ) one day then the flooding day we are sunbathing. No wonder people are suffering with colds and sore throats

On 4/26/2024 at 10:20 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Basil. Oregano, lemon balm. All easily grown at home. 

I always have basil on the kitchen windowsill all the others grow outside. Origano ( Italian)we get dried from either Sicily or Calabria much better taste. Fresh we just leave to look pretty! Lemon balm ,Pineapple sage and normal sage live together happily. We already have figs quite big which surprised us. It’s freezing cold at the moment and very windy. Tomorrow will be hot , just you wait, bet it will be.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:29 AM, MargieH said:

My mum always used to sprinkle a little sugar on sliced tomatoes, add a little pepper on strawberries and always had sliced cucumber in vinegar. 

Margie your post reminded me of my grand parents, (living near the sea.)grandad used to take me along what I supposed were the mud flats to collect Samphire and grandma used to pickle it. Funny the things that you think you’ve forgotten

• Like 1
On 4/26/2024 at 4:53 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

There is nothing to compare with the taste and smell of homegrown tomatoes.

I agree Jill. When working I went to a hydroponic tomato growing facility in the Riverland. Walking in there immediately took me back 60 years to walking into my grandad's greenhouse. The smell of the tomatoes was heavenly. The role of this facility was research into controlling whitefly. Like many of the supermarket products today tomatoes are tasteless. It is autumn here and the new seasons apples, grown in the Adelaide Hills, are in the shops. We bought two varieties as I like an apple with cheese for my lunch, they too were devoid of any taste. They may be new season, but which season? I wonder how long they had been in cold storage. Selective breeding for appearance and extended shelf life have left so much of our fruit and vegies lacking in any taste.

That’s what I like here in Italy. The fruit and veg in the local markets are really local and they are always so fresh you can smell the freshness of the earth. There’s one that is only a small stall but he picks his produce in the morning he’s selling them. What a difference .

• 1 month later...

As the winter temperatures continue, this morning I had to turn up the heating in the car.

Normally at this time of the year I expect it to be on zero for several months.

Same here.. I've not had a chance to check whether the 70 quid I spent last year on getting the car's Aircon re-charged, was worth the money.

I am thoroughly sick of it now.  Almost the longest day and still no sign of Summer...

I may write a letter of complaint....

I’ve been working outside on my old grey Fergie tractor. The weather’s most unpleasant. The tractor’s been standing outside since before lockdown and I’ve managed to remove the green mould. It was running six years ago so it should start with a bit of encouragement. The battery is now fully charged overnight but the top hose is split so I’ve got to get a new one plus a few sundry parts. I’m off to the vintage tractor parts supplier at Shardlow soon. It’s a fascinating place. It does need a few extra bits to make it look good again but I’m not going to spend anymore until it’s running. When it’s looking good it will be for sale. After that I’ll start work on my Boston Whaler sports boat. All my toys are going!

• Like 2

Pity you plan on getting rid of your Fergie, you’ll regret it.  
When we moved up here 20 years ago we sold our 1947 Fergie that my husband and son had completely overhauled and used in our fields.  We also had a vintage steam roller which sadly also went off on a low-loader.  It had to be done because there’s not much need for them in Nottingham City and we had no room here for them.   Boys will always need toys to tinker with ……. we’ve since acquired a 1937 Morris 8 which hardly ever moves out of the garage, just a quick trip around the block and occasionally visit to the Petrol station, twice he’s left the petrol cap on top of the pump and it’s been pinched by the time he’s got back there! 

• Like 5

Let’s get it running and then see how I feel. I’ve had it for over 30 years. I only ever get it out for ‘open gardens’ which we’ve not had for some years. I’m back home now with a carrier bag full of goodies. It brought back memories driving through Beeston and Long Eaton where I’ve not been for years.

• Like 1

I will take care of your Morris 8 my first car my dad  gave me for Christmas 1956 learned to drive in it at the back of his garage it never went on the road but i always have a soft spot for them. My dad had one to it was i think a 1937 model and remember us going to Mablethorpe in it i quite fancy a convertible.

16 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I am thoroughly sick of it now.  Almost the longest day and still no sign of Summer...

Based on what you said DJ360 and out of curiosity, I was looking at the temperatures in the forecast for Nottingham and comparing them to here.

Nottingham  - Tues 7-14,  Wed 9-16,   Thurs 6-15, Fri 12-16 Early summer

Here             - Tues 12-18. Wed 10-16, Thurs 7-16,  Fri 8-16  Early winter

12 more days and the sun is back on its way to see us again, yay!

Us too heating clicking in, what on earth is this weather? I attended a Loughborough in Bloom meeting this morning, preparing for our judging next month. Goodness knows what the plants will be like. On the up side at least we haven’t got to water.