The last few days have been bitter, bottomed out this morning at MINUS 5 F!!!!!! Not bad to say the average low is around 28F....Yesterday it got to around 6F, not the sort of day to be outside, especially with a windchill of around minus 20!!

Shorts out Saturday, 51F forecast...LOL

Hundreds of records broken for lows all across the midwest, northern and southern states..Some places sounded like towns in Alaska with their record lows.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fast becoming a knackered old git, I remember snow and freezing temperatures a few years after WWII, temperatures which today make folk shiver with cold and shock. Who amongst us remembers scraping ic

Years ago, when I worked at 24 Low Pavement, some of us grew tomato plants in pots placed in front of the large, Georgian windows and overlooking the garden at the rear. They did well there as they go

I wouldn't have said change so much as cyclical...it's all happened before in human memory. Decades of cold and decades of drought.

The world's weather has gone mad.

As Ayupmeducks says, the USA is getting a mega-freeze;

In the south west of the UK they are getting storms, massive winds, floods, and giant waves. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25633693

And yet here in Nottingham we've (so far) had the mildest winter for a long time, with no more than two or three slight frosts.

Yesterday at mid morning it was 78 f, at the same time today it was 39 f, with the wind chill. I had to wear ' winter clothing' this morning ( jeans, socks and a sweater), and put the heating on.

Dug out the duvet for tonight, the weather man says it will last for the next few days, but that will be the last of the 'Winter weather', back to seasonal weather by the week-end.

If 'they' have cracked weather manipulation,I don't think they will let us know untill we are in the grips of a 'new ice-age', then blame it on ' global warming'.

• 10 years later...

It wouldn't have been reported Phil, but because it's bread and lard island it makes the headlines

Rog

• Like 1

Shame it didn’t take a few trees down around Mapperley Park so we could get some sunshine in the garden.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If it had hit Radford Road you wouldn’t have noticed!

I walked down St James's Street yesterday. Would have had the same effect there!  Never seen any area of Nottingham look so bad.

• Like 1

It seems the weather is really taking of with the wind behind it. This time of the year we “should” be enjoying some good weather . Yes we are having some very warm weather in fact every day for the last week we’ve been sitting sunbathing with 30 c Well it didn’t last long the wind blew and we have snow…. not quite but almost. It’s turned icy cold 7c  . We stopped the CH but have put it on again. But we only have it on  a couple of hours in the morning and again in the evening. The few plants we have in pots have all got new leaves and are quite forward. Figs have been forming since January and now they are quite big and plentiful again. We’ve had quite a bit of wind but no damage only loads of leaves in corners. Hope we don’t have a tornado like we had a couple of years ago which almost flattened the fig tree. It’s tall and strong , I thought it was going to snap.

Rain forecast for rest of the week so I won't bother washing the car, bloody cold today, just come back indoors after an hours work in the shed, couldn't be bothered to switch the gas fire on so my own fault for getting cold

Rog

Afraid not Phil, up early (04.30) this morning, breakfast and coffee then off to the asda at Hykeham for the weekly shop, home by .6.45, more coffee, watched that clown Henry Cole  (shed and buried) for half an hour then in the shed to do a bit of woodwork, cutting out new arms and legs for the next batch of gollyfrogs and frogs, then back indoors by 09.00 and thats where I stayed for the rest of the day, bloody cold here although that wind has now dropped and the sun has just started to appear eleven hours too late, never mind there's always tomorrow, hope everyone else has had a good day

Rog

And then operating on arms and legs, all before 09.00. Wonder what he does in his spare time.

That's when he's not rebuilding buses or cycling all over the countryside. :ninja:

• Like 1

there's quite a few people in the asda at 06.00, the idea of going that early is the shopping is out of the way and the rest of the day is our own, bit of a bind getting up an hour or so earlier than usual but worth  it'

B, don't know about action man more like inaction man this past few days with this cold and windy weather but summer is forecast for one day in May this year so looking forward to getting all the outdoor jobs done on that day, 

Tomorrow is car wash day and get it fuelled up, maybe a bit of work in the greenhouse too

Rog