Thinking back to the olden prehistoric days, when I was much much younger, only a mere slip of a lad.

Growing up in Nottingham and being out and about with your parents, "things" seemed to be painted "Corporation Green"

Does anyone remember when this disappeared? Perhaps there are still a few examples in hidden corners of the city, anyone found one?

Smiffy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like this?

According to where I got it from...........yes. And for Smiffy49, I've posted this link before but it's worth another look. A mass of green buses, and other colours as well. https://www.flickr.com/p

Midland General; railway bridge; Bestwood. Maybe not an exact match, but this might be close http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=moor%20bestwood&serial=3&img=66-01-07A

Would that pic be outside Plains Rd juniors/infants ? My first school till I got into Westdale .

Yes Cliff Ton, that's it ! Not only buses, lampposts, rubbish bins, park gates, grass cutting equipment etc etc.

Also "Park Keepers" (they were not painted green though) when did they disappear?

I like the NCT badge on the buses, have you any of the 40 or 47 service?

Smiffy

Some great stuff there. The good old days when Corpo buses had the same number as their registrations.

I remember when you could get an ABC book of regional buses, and my mates and I would scour Goose Fair for obscure buses, as many could be traced by reg no and embossed parts. Particularly liked Maudsleys, Guys, Dennis's, Bristols, Leylands and I believe there were several Albions. Oh for that time machine.

• Upvote 1

Were those Pagefields or Maudsleys ?

I used to love bus spotting on Chester-le street market place when I lived up there (early 60's) there was just about every colour except Newcastle corpo yellow, don't think they ventured into County Durham......When I lived in Bestwood Village I'd lie in bed & listen to the Midland General B8 Bristol Lodeker whine it's way towards Papplewick, the noise would suddenly vanish, I presume when it went under the Calvo pit railway bridge across Moor Road..

Re #8 the refuse lorries were green, then later green cabs and chassis and silver load carrier.

That reminds me, they used Karrier lorries for many years.

It amazing how one small thing triggers off something long buried in the depths of the grey matter.

Midland General; railway bridge; Bestwood. Maybe not an exact match, but this might be close http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=moor%20bestwood&serial=3&img=66-01-07A

That's not the bridge Ciff, but thanks for link anyway, that ones at Moorbridge. The one I'm on about is between Bestwood & Papplewick..

Smiffy re:post #4, you missed doors of council houses. Everyone's was green until 60's or 70's, can't remember exactly when they changed them to red, yellow, green and blue. If I remember rightly they did them in that sequence throughout our estate, and wouldn't you know it, ours was bloody green again!

• Upvote 2

#15,

Coal Board houses in Bestwood Village also had grotty green doors. I'd just moved to Bestwood (I was 14) when the village copper asked me where I lived? I said in a leary way "the one with the green door!" It doesn't pay to be leary to a copper does it? He told Mam & good hiding soon followed. :)

Wasn't just the colour which was labelled "corporation" At catering college we used corporation stock and corporation wine! :)

Door painting (and windows).... I had forgotten about that. The painters would turn up and cadge tea & biscuits.

A pastime for myself and pals, literally watching the paint dry. We were not allowed in the back garden for a few days after the had been painted in case we touched it.

Another pastime, everyone crowding around to watch tarmac being put down on the road. Lovely smell, but I once got too close and fell in it ! I remember being rubbed all over with butter to get it off ! Must have cost a fortune....

Smiffy

About 60 or 61 katyjay LURPAK was 3/6 lb and the cheapest was KANGAROO an Australian butter at 1/11 lb,sad old thing that i am,for remembering that from my Marsdens/Farrands days.lol

Thanks again, Cliff ton, for the link at #5.

Those photographs of the Nottingham countryside on one of Lady Wulfrun's albums, especially the early morning mists, the snow scenes, frost and the mist over the Trent brought back happy memories of my childhood at ROT..thanks.

Anyone got this book lots of photos of green & cream trolley buses.(was that the only colours they appeared in ?)

NottinghamBookCover2.jpg

A bit pricey at £30 "IF" you can get one now.?