50 years ago last Friday I left school to start my life in the big bad world.

This week was the last caravan holiday at 'Golden Sands' caravan site with the family.

It was also the same week I went to see 'A Hard Days Night'.

It all seems such a long time ago,but at the same time it has'flown by'.

We have all come a long way since 1964,and I am sure we have shared the same 'trials and tribulations',getting where we are today.

I posted this as it seemed to be a milestone, never thinking at 15, where or what I would become in life.

• Upvote 9
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

50 years ago last Friday I left school to start my life in the big bad world. This week was the last caravan holiday at 'Golden Sands' caravan site with the family. It was also the same week I went

50 years ago, good grief, I was 18, single, good car, money in my pocket, not a care in the world. I thought it would last for ever. Was I in for a shock.? I wouldn't change a thing other than a very

50 years ago I was twenty in the final year of my apprenticeship and looking forward to getting married on September 11th. Had thirty three good years of marriage and looked forward to retiring with

Posted Images

50 years ago, good grief, I was 18, single, good car, money in my pocket, not a care in the world. I thought it would last for ever. Was I in for a shock.? I wouldn't change a thing other than a very very very expensive divorce about twelve years ago.

Not to worry, life goes on. It's what you make of it that matters, I've now re married , got an extra daughter and son in law, and two extra beautiful grand kids to go with my own two wonderful daughters and five grand kids. Life is good!

• Upvote 7

My first year with the NCB, was just finishing the first year at Tech, probably taking the exams right now ready for the summer break and back to my pit..

50yrs ago. I was Sweet Sixteen, and In the August, I met my Hubby on Holiday in Sunny Skegness(Holiday Romance). I was with girlfriends on a Caravan Site in Inglemells and he was Camping behind the Sealands, with his buddies.

I was working at City Uniforms on Wool Pack lane in The Lace Market. Wow along long time ago!

I must be but a babe! I was six and a half. I had just gained a baby brother, which made me the middle child between two brothers. I had had a silver cross dolls pram for the previous Christmas so that I could take my baby doll for a walk, with mum, when my brother arrived. (Teeny Tiny Tears arrived the next Christmas)

50 years ago I was twenty in the final year of my apprenticeship and looking forward to getting married on September 11th. Had thirty three good years of marriage and looked forward to retiring with her but it was not to be she died in 99. We really grew up together you might say. Got our first house in Basford, emigrated and had two daughters. Not in that particular order. Happy enough re-married now and living in the hot and steamy South. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing.

• Upvote 6

50 years ago I was 14 and still had 2 years to do at school and 1 year at Digby College. I'd only just started going into town with my friends and our weekly trip on a Sunday afternoon to the Bowling Alley was a highlight.

Found this one difficult so I had a look at the No 1s for that year usualy helps me remember something specific. I had just become engaged to the love of my young life, Well!! I was 16 going on seventeen and of course knew all ther was to know. Didn't last but I don't think I will ever quite forget the first.

I was two months short of 18 so would be getting ready for my City & Guilds Intermediate exam's with the gas board. Just fell out with my first serious girlfriend when she found out she was not coming to Cornwall climbing with the lads. I was so grateful for that in later years.

I must be but a babe! I was six and a half. I had just gained a baby brother, which made me the middle child between two brothers. I had had a silver cross dolls pram for the previous Christmas so that I could take my baby doll for a walk, with mum, when my brother arrived. (Teeny Tiny Tears arrived the next Christmas)

Well thank God for that. Someone on here younger than me. I was two months short of being 8. Can't really remember much about it until something jogs my memory.

I'd rather be young and not get State Pension, Winter Fuel Allowance, Bus Pass, OAP discount at hairdressers (although I never seem to get the right day for that) etc. etc

• Upvote 3

I was just 15 and waiting to start my first job at Baker And Plumb. My dad had just passed away and I fluffed my mock G.C.E exams so the school thought it might be better all round if I left school early to go out into the big wide world to earn some money and look after my mum.

I didn't turn out too bad having only 3 jobs in that time and was never out of work.

• Upvote 2

50 years ago I was on a Boeing 707 on my way to the big adventure a 10 pound Pom on his way to Australia.I was 22 with 40 pounds in my pocket 200 ciggies and a bottle of Johnny Walker in my baggage,on board with me were some other similar blokes some new mates to get to know including a lad from Liverpool who reckoned he knew Ringo Starr I mean how cool.Have I regretted it not really up until now,feeling lonely and scared of old age and would like to be with my extended family back in Nottingham as I have no family of my own 2 failed marriages and no kids.

Seven years after dave48 aged 17 I worked at baker and plumb,50 years ago I was Bob a jobing with the scouts aged 10 or was it boys brigade mrs bales bridgeway hall.the sixties fantastic period ,young that missed that period really did miss a lot.

Bazza 123 you have experienced more than most and you must have had guts to uproot so young ,I am sure you would be welcomed at nostalgians meet up get Yasen on the next plane.hom.

I don't know if it's just me but cars lorries fashion music people life seemed perfect love to back there,did not know then I would end up being a miserable old git

• Upvote 2

50 years ago.......

Wednesday 15th April 1964 - Took off from London on a BOAC Boeing with the family, enroute to Australia.

Friday 17 April 1964 - some 36 hours and several stops later, landed at Mascot Airport, Sydney on a wet, grey morning, walked across the tarmac to the terminal buildings and on into the unknown and a 'new' life.

Bazza 123 - Did we share the same plane????

• Upvote 1

Being an early 49er, I was 15. Mad on trains - steam was fast dying, and the Beeching plan was being implemented ruthlessly, wherever it didn't affect marginal seats. Although I did reasonably well with GCE O levels, I was beginning to get a bit browned off with school. I remain in touch with one or two of my mates from those happy times.

• Upvote 1

oh this is easy 1964 white heart opened a disco upstairs i was 13going on 14 and whent down the heart for the first few times in my life with some of the carlton bikers loved it after that went down with friends occationly for the next couple of years by the time i left school at 15 going down on a regular basis one or two times a weekend bythe next year going down 3 times a weekend thursday friday and sunday.

know all them micheal so i must know you too if only by sight i went out ith george oglesby when ray first started going out with elain still see them sometimes and they will be comming down rockers reunion next week end in skeggy with fran and jan,so ill have to ask them of some reminders of who you are micheal as i said knew most of the teddy boys by sight if not to speak to