weddings posh or plain.

Last Thursday after the midday news the tv was left on whilst we washed the pots ,on returning the film"Quo Vardis" was just starting. Immediately my mind went back to March 19th 1950 when we first saw this film at the Leicester Square Odeon. March 18th was our wedding, 2.30pm at St. Annes church, ration books were still in use so no posh wedding, both Mothers doing the meal with Bramley's THE pork butcher of St. Annswell Rd. providing the cooked ham, haslet, pork pie etc. then off to London for a 4 day honeymoon. Sunday evening, the film, Monday Drury Lane Tuesday The Victoria Palace. I can still feel the ache in my jaw at the antics of that 'Crazy' lot, a lot of the script seemed to be adlibbed from that evenings newspaper. So many happy memories, I'm pleased to say the 4 bridesmaids are still with us but health & travel prevent us getting together and we still have reminder or two!

7d2e664e-f79a-4877-b43e-022c170f90ac_zps

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picture This, Boxing Day 1966, 1 living Room, containing...2 Brides (Yes I did say 2 Brides, a Double Wedding) 8 Bridesmaids, 1Mam, 1Dad, 6 Aunties, 6 Uncles, 2 Brothers, various Neighbours and Frien

And you have the great memories. A wedding isn't just about parties...though we always have a good one, it's about commitment. My first marriage didn't work out and we split up 22 years and 3 childr

Me I have been married 43 years, still very much in love and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Still haven't found how to put these pics. together but just look at those ticket prices, we paid £69 each last year to see "Warhorse", Oh yes we paid an extra two bob each at the Victoria Palace to have a cup of coffee & a piece of fruit cake served in our seats at the interval, it certainly beats queuing for a choc ice!

63f5a5e1-8586-437c-b1ea-cdb3fb500e75_zps

• Upvote 2

Myself and my wife got married in a registry office with very few people present. Still together after 45 years. We do not survive well apart.

• Upvote 3

Yes Michael #28 No.10, Barbara's Uncle Walter Wright as his present to us arranged the use of two 7 seater 'Humbers' (Clowers!) they filled the 'coursey' from Nos. 6 to 16! Got the neighbours out to give me a friendly wave off though!

• Upvote 1

It must have been a really special day for you Albert. I'll bet you felt really posh sitting in the 7 seater Humbers. It must also have been a great night on your honeymoon watching The Crazy Gang. I've seen them on YouTube and they're really funny. You must have really made your new wife happy by taking her to the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane. Special times and special memories.

• 1 month later...

First, plain at Basford Register Office. 7 there including my parents and her mum.

Second, not so plain at Morley Hayes Golf Club. 40 odd there. Reasonable price, great venue. An all round smashing day.

Today I delivered the last wedding cake that I shall be making in my professional capacity. A lot of time has gone into the cake and I was quietly confident about it, despite having to travel four tiers over 35 miles and then complete decoration and set the cake up at the venue.

Last week I had contacted the events co-ordinator to check on when I could deliver the cake (from 8 am onwards) and to confirm that I would be requiring use of their cake stand. I confirmed that I would be arriving at around 8.am.

My first impression of the hotel, which I shall not name but is situated in a retail park in Chilwell, was dismay, as all the way up to the front door of reception were strewn hundreds (no exaggeration) of cigarette ends, and several squashed plastic pint beakers.

I checked in with reception and ascertained where the cake was to go, there being 3 wedding receptions there today. John and I took the cakes to the function room to find it was only half ready and no sign of cake stand or indeed a table for it.

Back up to reception to make the enquiries and the events co-ordinator is brought out who comes down to the room and to be fair sorts out a table, but informs me that the stand is solid silver will have to be polished and the staff won't be in until 10! How useful. She suggested I assemble the cake and leave it for them to put on the stand, not the arrangement I wanted as I had wanted to build it up from the stand, being quite a big and fragile cake. I asked if she would sign a receipt for it so that they could take responsibility after I had left, if they were going to move it! You would have thought that I had asked her to saw her own head off!

So I completed the cake without the stand, took several photos as proof that it was in perfect condition when I had left it and departed.

I have to say if I am paying a fair bit of money for a reception I would expect a) the hotel entrance to be clean, which they may well do at sometime today, but surely a porter could have done that first thing this morning? Or even provide a bin for cigarette ends!

and b) if something has been requested for a specific time then arrange for it to be available, or take the consequences and responsibility for any damage done. Or is this just normal service nowadays?

• Upvote 2

This is wedding related, kind of. Hubby played golf yesterday in Phoenix in a foursome. One fella he knew a little, the other 2 strangers. 1 left after golf while the other 3 ate lunch. Just chatting, 1 mentioned it had been his wedding anniversary last Sunday, hubby said it's ours this Sunday, the 3rd man said it was his in 2 weeks Sunday. All 3 then said it was their 46th anniversary, what are the chances of that?

• Upvote 1

For most people their wedding day is the biggest day of their life. I hope that everything gets sorted out ok and the bride and groom have a day to remember. The 35 mile journey with a four tier wedding cake must have been a precarious one..lol. I suppose it's something you've done many times before. Why is it your last wedding cake, darkazana?. It's a good job that carni didn't know you made wedding cakes, she'd have put a tent in your garden and stayed there..haha.

• Upvote 1

First wedding, Gedling church 1965 with all the trimmings. Reception at the memorial hall. Honeymoon in Devon and Cornwall. Lasted until she died in 1999. Second wedding at a little Baptist church near Edmonton, Alberta. December 2001. Reception in church basement, honeymoon in Rocky Mountains. Not planning on anymore. :-). 'Ood 'ave mi?

• Upvote 1

This is my last wedding cake, Michael as the job I do now makes it too difficult to give them the time and attention that they deserve. Fortunately I could arrange things as we are working so close to home and our days off fell right, but I can't expect that all the time. As The caravan Club are also paying me I have to give them my full attention during the season, which is now 8-10 months for us. so after 30 years I have decided it is time to hang up my wooden spoon (well in the kitchen anyway slywink ) I will still do cakes for family and friends of course if I possibly can.

Here's a photo

laura2_zpsf2b87b81.jpg

If you would like to see more of my work my website is www.puttingontheritz.co.uk

• Upvote 5

That is a beautiful cake darkazana. What a shame you can't carry on professionally making them. I used to make Celebration Cakes my self, so I know how much work and time and devotion goes into creating them. Isn't it a lovely feeling when you stand back and look at your Creation when it's finished and also see the happiness on the faces of the people you have made it for. I will be first in the queue to try your samples.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Carni. Yes it's great to know you have created something to make people smile. It is also a great relief when it is safely delivered and you are satisfied with it, as you are always your own greatest critic I think. Sometimes I have to walk away from a cake and go back later to see the effect, especially if it has a painted picture on it.