Hospital parking charges

I thought I should make this information public. A few weeks ago, a close relative was in QMC and we were somewhat shocked to find that the parking charge was a minimum of £4. As you know, I recently suffered a heart attack and was air-lifted to Morriston hospital on the outskirts of Swansea. My son and his wife drove down to visit while I was in there, and happened to mention that parking there is FREE. I am now attending regular a regular cardiac rehabilitation course at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. At my first visit we noticed that the minimum parking charge is £2.50 for up to 2 hours (which we didn't think outrageous) and only £3 for 3 hours. However, at the first session of the course, we were offered a special reduced rate pass that allows up to 10 visits for £8 - i.e. 80p a throw, and no time limit.

• Upvote 3

That's a lot better than Nottm City Hosp Trust. Who charge scandalously high parking charges, at the QMC & City Hospital sites.

Why don't the English get free parking at hospitals AND free presciptions the same as the Welsh & Scots get ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here are the charges for Comparison at New Cross W-ton. Thank You for reminding us.

Time Cost Up to 15 minutes Free Over 15 minutes and up to 1 hour £2.30 Over 1 hour and up to 3 hours £3.30 Over 3 hours and up to 5 hours £4.30 Over 5 hours and up to 24 hours £5.30 Weekly ticket (7 consecutive days) £14.50

A weekly (7 consecutive days) parking ticket allows an unlimited number of entries to any of the barrier car parks on the premises within the specified 7 day period.

I think one of the reasons why hospitals charge for parking is to try and stop parking spaces being used by people who are not visiting the hospital.

Take QMC as an example; if parking was free, a lot of the spaces would be taken up by people who get there early, leave their car all day and go in to work on a bus, or use it as a park-and-ride for a few hours shopping in Nottingham.

If parking was free at many hospitals, by around 9am all the spaces would be taken up by park-and-riders, and there would be no spaces left for genuine hospital visitors or patients.

• Upvote 1

I work at QMC & have to pay to park, it's taken from my wages every month, about 14/15 odd quid for out of hours parking..

Only one consolation, you don't get hammered by the Workplace Parking Levy !

• Like 1

I use the QMC treatment centre regularly. On the rare occasion when I take my car, that is if I have come from somewhere else or have to be somewhere else quickly, I use the covered car park there. I am usually less than two hours but on occasions when it has been late, they tell me that there is a maximum charge for patients receiving treatment. I can't remember if this is 4 or 5 pounds because normally I park at the park and ride on Wilkinson Street and use the medilink bus service which is free to all users. If I have any long treatment my wife or son drops me off and then picks me up.

When I lived in Mansfield I had to go to Kings Mill every week for a while for a blood test as I was on Immune suppressant drugs. Even though you still had to pay, it was cheaper to park at Morrisons Supermarket next door. And you could use your parking ticket to buy goods. We all use bread and milk etc.

• Upvote 1

Back in 2005 after a heart attack I was asked to attend cardiac rehab at the Derby Royal, after the first time I refused to go because of the outrageous parking charges. However I rang the people concerned and they offered me Ilkeston community Hospital which was only a 15 minute drive away and would you believe parking was free. Their canteen was second to none also with sausage and bacon cobs all well priced, in fact all the stuff they were telling us not to eat at cardiac rehab (Lol)

I think that Cliff Ton makes a good point regarding parking (Park & Ride #6).

Bilbraborn's post (#10) would be ok but supermarkets have cameras that clock you in and out the car park. If you overstay the limited period you get a big fine dropping through your letter box.

i am lucky as a blue badge holder i can park free as i usually use my schooter wh down som of them corridorsile i am on my hostpital visits as can often be very long walks not all the medi buses are sutable to get a schooter on or i would certainly use wilkinson st park and ride to get to the hostpitals . but even as a blue badge holder finding a parking space can sometimes create real problembs last time i went to qmc we had to park in white heart carpark dave had to drop me off go to whiteheart park and then getback to the hospital just as i was being called in we always get there early . on other occation at city hostpital i have been in seen the dr had my consoltation and been back out befor he has found a parking.yes i know i am very lucky gettingparking free so i should not be moaning but sometimes you just have to.

i dont know if people know this but if you have to make a lot of regular visits to the hostpital for treatments the hostpital dose offer a parking permit free from one of there charities. worth asking the staff if its availible for your treatments i know cancer paitients who have to go in daily for treatment gcan get one dave got one for 8weeks while he was recieveing radium treatment.

• Upvote 1

You lot got nowt to whine about

1 night in the hospital room charge ...........wait ..........................for ...............................it ....................................... $50,000

That is just for the room not any of the treatment.

But free parking

dgbrit, do different states charge different amounts then? My husband ended up in Mt Sinai Hospital in Miami a few years ago .... with Vertigo as it happened ..... but the docs thought he'd had a stroke initially. He was in there having tests and scans for 2 days, was discharged and then called back for another overnight stay. The bill was $27,000 which seemed rather extreme but thankfully it was covered by our UK medical insurance.

Seeing those massive charges for medical care rather makes us moaning about paying a few quid to park at hospitals to shame.

Despite all it's failings, we should really be grateful for the NHS.

Two of my daughters are midwifes and some hospitals they have worked at in the city actually charge them to park, while they are there working.

Currently they are both at a regional private hospital about 45klms North of Perth and all parking is free !

I too am lucky now as I have a blue parking permit which enables me to park most places free.

One of the perks of being arthritic in older age I suppose.

My daughter works at Leicester royal and has to pay to park her car, the staff also have to leave a card on the dashboard to say what time they will be returning (end of shift) many of the staffs cars have been broken into because the thieves know how much time they have to play with before the owner returns,what a strange world we live in

Rog

Seeing those massive charges for medical care rather makes us moaning about paying a few quid to park at hospitals to shame.

Despite all it's failings, we should really be grateful for the NHS.

No one's making any comments about hospital care, only about the rip off parking costs.

• Like 1