What Have I Missed ?

Ok, booked my ticket, will be back in blighty end of September for 3 weeks, on a quick solo visit, here's my current must do's.

A decent pork pie.

Some proper sausage rolls.

Haddock chips and peas on a tray with lots of salt and vinegar, from a real chip shop that does its own spuds.

Chicken and mushroom Pukka pie as above.

Bacon and egg roll with mushrooms, Cattle market Sat morning.

Sausage and egg roll from the little butcher on Front street Arnold, cooked while you wait, was a pound.

Curry night, Witherspoons Mapperley tops.

A real ale, maybe the Bread and Bitter again Mapperley tops.

Sit down the river near Stoke Bardolph and enjoy a pint and a packet of beef crisps (or cheese an onion)

Find some real pork scratchings.

A cooked breakfast from The Bank, market square.

Some smoked mackerel fillets

Tesco's, Morrisons, Asda and Costas coffee.

Maybe catch up for lunch and a beer with some of the crew here.

Now if my list seems a bit food orientated, I must shamefully agree, it is. These are just some of he things I crave and miss from my old home town of Nottingham.

Other ideas gratefully received , I am trying to currently lose 5 kg to make room for all the above ! because good or bad for me, I dont care, a little of what you fancy does you good they say.

Just over 3 years since last trip so the cravings are bad as you may gather from above :-)

• Upvote 7

Pork farms sausage, Home ales beer Shipstone beer, Newcastle Brown, Whitbread tanked. Pork farms ice bun's real pork dripping real potted meat Oh! what a list I could go on and on. Just one more babycham.

Sausage and egg roll from the little butcher on Front street Arnold, cooked while you wait, was a pound.

Rowbothams of Arnold must be arguably the oldest business in the town, apart from the pubs. Still there, still a pound. I agree, great!

22545205.jpg

• Upvote 1

Often have a sos cob there when we are in Arnold. Great.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a good idea for a meet up late September.

Would have to be early oct as I dont arrive till 29th sept, then there's the dreaded jetlag to contend with !

Anywhere between maybe 5th-17th Oct. , as I leave on the 19th from Manchester. I arrive on the 29th Sept. but will need a few days to get through the jetlag !

I'll have my Ipad with me so can still access the forum once I pick up local Sim.

Any recommendations for a good pre paid sim for calls and data ?

We always make sure we've eaten things like pork pie (first priority) with picalill and pickled onions. Haddock, chips & mushy peas, sausage roll preferably warm and greasy! A fresh cream cake, malt loaf, eccles cake, flavoured crisps, sausages with H.P. sauce, bacon with meat on it, (it's all streaky here). Bitter lemon, cider. The list goes on and on, and coming home we are loaded up with stuff for the kids, mostly chocolate.

• Upvote 2

Mother-in-law says the best fish & chips she's ever tasted was 'red snapper, chips & mushy peas' at a chippy cum cafe on Freemantle harbour front, she still goes on about it after 17 years. The best sausage I've tasted was from a sausage shop in Munster-lager Lower Saxony Germany, I keep looking in Aldi to see if they've got them, I do like there Cumberland sausages though (£1 a pound) I seem to like foreign stuff..