Street and Road Names, pre 1970's.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the link below, it looks like some of the mens names were from Thomas  Birkin's Son's. Perhaps other names have a Lace connection.   http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/f

Here's some information of Cloister St....plus photos. http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/cloister_st.htm

As far as anyone can be certain, that is approximately where Lenton Abbey/Priory was. The next road parallel to Cloister Street is Priory Street, which includes what is claimed to be a surviving col

Sheep Lane appears in all my directories up to 1864 and Market Street(off long Row appears in my 1868 directory)

Market Street off Weekday cross appears in all directories up to 1868

So I'm assuming that market Street (weekday Cross) disappeared at about the same time as the other Market Street was created.

I would bet a shilling that this picture is the back of Westdale Lane school (Digby Ave) . It's just how I remember it one winter , though I could have sworn the snow went up as far as the "hoops" at the top of the railing ! Maybe that was another year !

http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/best-pictures-1950s-Nottingham/pictures-21013425-detail/pictures.html#10

More modern streetview

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.983111,-1.108108,3a,75y,264.83h,88.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdqefzbb_6Jf2FisCn7p8lg!2e0

I remember I was still at Westdale Lane Juniors (with DAVIDW)& think it must be January 1960.

I do remember the school entrance doors being blocked by snow it can't be any later as I(we) went to Gedling secondary Modern the following September.

I don't think there was a gate off Digby Avenue at that time.

Errrm.....the caption on the snow photo says 1958 :)

My memory (probably made up ) is that we were playing football on top of the snow with a tennis ball and the ball was in and out of the top of the hoops of the railing . Then later we could stand looking down at the men digging a pathway on Digby below us . My memory is of the snow even deeper than that in the picture .Yet we all got to school !

Re Karltons question on the Pennyfoot Street naming .

This is just a guess but previously there was a Pennyfoot Stile in that area . Probably had to pay a penny to whoever owned the land to cross the stile for a shortcut ?

When the land was developed , probably named the street after the stile......well its a theory !

From nottshistory.org:

Pennyfoot In Sandby's engraving of the " East Prospect of Nottingham," 1750, as taken from Sneinton Hill, the houses about Carter Gate appear to have been the then eastern boundary of the town, and from that line to Sneinton is shown as fields and gardens, with a row of trees growing vigorously by the beck or brook. From the brook to Fisher Gate appears a raised causeway or platform, on substantial piers, apparently six or eight feet high, with a boarded fence on one side, and a footbridge over the big dyke with a stile on the town side of the stream marked as "Penny-foot Stile." What is now called the "Bottoms," and Manvers Street are shown as pleasant fields. This footpath was then used as the way from Sneinton to St. Mary's Church and the Market, while another footpath from Colwick by the Hermitage joined it.

Guess this is the picture with stile in the centre at bottom of picture and the raised causeway behind it .

http://www.rareoldprints.com/p/951/$FILE/Pict0039.jpg

Pict0039.jpg

I assumed it was for when the River Beck was in flood ? The text above says the line of trees follows the courseof the Beck . But "6 or 8 foot" does seem high .

Cliff Ton........That path via the stile into the City was the only one in that area* and looking at the proximity of the Leen and the Leen Flu, is it possible that the land to the left of the pathway/stile in David W's picture (#43) was subject to seasonal flooding - hence the raised footway.

Judging by the height of the London Road viaduct in the background (#43) over the Leen, they did allow for a fair flood height and the Leen is only a stone's throw from the area in question and the pasture in that and other pictures of the area could well be flood plain...........................I could be wrong.

*....Here was a field with an old and most interesting history, which from 105 to 110 years ago was set out for building purposes, and a road made through its whole length, to the Beck rivulet, which in that part formed the boundary between Nottingham and Sneinton. The new way was appropriately termed "Butcher Street." In my young days I frequently walked down that street to its termination at the Beck, when I must either retrace my steps, or go a distance northward, and get into Pennyfoot Stile, Willoughby Row, or Fisher Gate. At that time, except by Pennyfoot Stile and a footpath across the fields, there was no other road in that part to Sneinton Hermitage and the Church.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1907/nottinghamstreets1.htm

Just been trying to read the place names at the base of Sandbys etching in #43

They appear to be the following but could be wrong . There seem to be some blurred numbers on tne skyline as a key but can't see any others .

1. The Lean Bridge

2. Castle

3. St Marys Church

4. Mr Plumtrees House ?

5. St.Peters

6. Mr. Pierreponts House

7. Free School

8. Mr Gregorys house

9. Town Bowling Green

10. ? Glasshouses

11. Foundry

12. Red Lion at bottom of Malin Hill